Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #17

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #17
Post by Philip Stanley   » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 am

Philip Stanley
Lieutenant Commander

Do you think that RFC could be so cunning as to deliberately structures his books so that apparently sequential expository snippets turn out to be tantalizing and misleading? Would he be that sneaky? It sort of feels like the tail wagging the dog!
Philip (the cynic) Stanley
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:12 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Philip Stanley wrote:Do you think that RFC could be so cunning as to deliberately structures his books so that apparently sequential expository snippets turn out to be tantalizing and misleading? Would he be that sneaky? It sort of feels like the tail wagging the dog!

No. He cleverly structures the books so that sequential chapters turn out to be tantalizing and misleading. The fact that it leads to cleverly tantalizing and misleading snippets is only a bonus as far as he is concerned.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:57 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Agree.

Now, he has posted "mini-snippets" that have been misleading but IMO the larger sequential snippets accurately reflect what he had written in the book.

Of course, he does include surprises in the books themselves. :twisted:

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Philip Stanley wrote:Do you think that RFC could be so cunning as to deliberately structures his books so that apparently sequential expository snippets turn out to be tantalizing and misleading? Would he be that sneaky? It sort of feels like the tail wagging the dog!

No. He cleverly structures the books so that sequential chapters turn out to be tantalizing and misleading. The fact that it leads to cleverly tantalizing and misleading snippets is only a bonus as far as he is concerned.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:34 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:No. He cleverly structures the books so that sequential chapters turn out to be tantalizing and misleading. The fact that it leads to cleverly tantalizing and misleading snippets is only a bonus as far as he is concerned.
DrakBibliophile wrote:Agree.

Now, he has posted "mini-snippets" that have been misleading but IMO the larger sequential snippets accurately reflect what he had written in the book.

Of course, he does include surprises in the books themselves. :twisted:

I just went back and reread the LAMA snippets (particularly 6 and 7) as well as some of RFC's comments. I would note that his comment that Irys' instructor in #6 was not Merlin or one of his alternate personalities is strictly speaking true, it was extraordinarily misleading, verging on a very grey area, since in fact it turns out the instructor was Nimue - who formed the basis for Merlin's personality. I am wondering if he is not doing something of the sort here.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Peter2   » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

JimHacker wrote:
[snip]

There is no such thing as overkill; there is only "open fire!" and "reload!". Something I heard once :D

While I'm sure they may have wanted to use as much explosive as possible, they will have been limited by certain factors - such as how much was available (if a new explosive), how much a person could safely carry/swim with/handle/set in this particular mission, and conserving supply (if a new explosive produced in small quantities).

I remember reading a conversation somewhere which went something like:

"Isn't that a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut?"

"Well, if you've got a sledgehammer handy and you don't much care what happens to the nut, there's not much wrong with it." :evil: :evil:
Post by PalmerSperry   » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:26 pm

PalmerSperry
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:And how many of the testers made it into the field? The grunts on the ground are going to use their black powder standards, regardless of what they are told.

I believe there's a story about how some segment of the French Resistance got their first supply of (the newly developed) plastic explosive. They didn't think the suggested amount looked enough to really damage a railway line, so put what they thought was a sensible amount on instead. They retreated to a safe distance, got their "BOOM!" and discovered they made a small crater where the railway line used to be!
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:29 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Duckk wrote:There was a convention in Ohio I didn't know about? Noooooooooooo!

My bad. The con was in Williamsburg, Va. Don't know how Ohio got in there, except that I spent quite a while talking to other guests who were from Ohio (which also happens to be the state in which I was born).

Sorry! :oops:

Why, David!

And here I thought that you were born in a State of Grace.
(grin)

dreamrider
Post by n7axw   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:18 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I asked one of my confirmation kids what grace was expecting God's Riches At Christ's Expense.

Instead, what I got was "Grace is a tall, blue eyed blonde." Guess where his mind was at...upon Grace! :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

hmmm... I've been wondering for years who Grace was, and what made her so amazing.

maybe now I'm finally on the right track

n7axw wrote:I asked one of my confirmation kids what grace was expecting God's Riches At Christ's Expense.

Instead, what I got was "Grace is a tall, blue eyed blonde." Guess where his mind was at...upon Grace! :lol:

Don

Return to Safehold