Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Magistos and 16 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #17

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #17
Post by Peter2   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:27 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

6L6 wrote:Thank you for the snippett and the heads up about Katherine Kurtz, I have never heard of her.

I particularly enjoyed her first 3 books about the Deryni — Deryni Rising, Deryni Checkmate, and High Deryni.

And RFC, I'll add my thanks to the long list, and wish you a speedy recovery.

I shall now wait for what Clyntahn's side would describe as a severe case of "Whoops, BANG! Oh, nasty!" :twisted:
Post by 509Seawolf   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:39 am

509Seawolf
Midshipman

Thank you
Post by iranuke   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:40 pm

iranuke
Commander

I would say that the previous snippet before this one happened about 10 to 15 minutes BEFORE this snippet. The sentry saw "something" and from seeing the "something" to get back across the river is about 1/2 mile. The record for swimming a quarter mile is over 3 minutes. Whoever in the gear is not going to swim 1/2 mile in under about 15 minutes.

lyonheart wrote:Hello0 RFC!

Thank you so very much for the snippet!

It definitely looks like the the previous snippet follows this incident rather soon.

Thanks again!

L
Post by JimHacker   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:53 pm

JimHacker
Captain (Junior Grade)

iranuke wrote:I would say that the previous snippet before this one happened about 10 to 15 minutes BEFORE this snippet. The sentry saw "something" and from seeing the "something" to get back across the river is about 1/2 mile. The record for swimming a quarter mile is over 3 minutes. Whoever in the gear is not going to swim 1/2 mile in under about 15 minutes.

lyonheart wrote:Hello0 RFC!

Thank you so very much for the snippet!

It definitely looks like the the previous snippet follows this incident rather soon.

Thanks again!

L

I believe by 'previous snippet' he is referring to 'tiny 2' in which something is about to go BOOM. He is likely correct that that snippet occurs sometime soon after this one as it seems to be fairly obviously referring to the imminent detonation of the charges placed in this snippet.
-------------------------------
Happiness is not having what you want
Nor is happiness wanting what you have
Happiness is believing that tomorrow you shall have
what you want today

..//^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
.._/''*''\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:07 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

McGuiness wrote:How blind and deaf are the church boys gonna go when everything goes BOOOOM? :twisted:

Thanks RFC, and it's pretty much a miracle that anyone escapes a major convention without picking up "convention crud," let alone the authors!

I've very much enjoyed Katherine Kurtz's novels, especially her Deryni and Adept series. Glad to hear she's still going strong - and she's practically RFC's neighbor now, since she's apparently given up that musty, drafty castle in Ireland for a sensible home in Virginia! :lol:

Irrelevant. Secrecy only matters until the charges are detonated, so as to preclude the Temple boys interfering.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:17 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Hildum wrote:So, the question is, is this before or after the other snippet? If before, then the Lieutenant did manage to pull him out. If not, then this is a separate action….

lyonheart wrote:Hi Thrandir,

Quite aside from snippet #2 letting us know all made it back safely, has anyone else noticed the name on the message was Lt Bryahnsyn, who's the Dohlaran Lt. in snippet # 16, while Lt Hahrlys commands the ICA engineers in #17?

Hope they fix it before the dead tree versions hit the shelves. ;)

L

I have expressed concern that the names of the two individuals on the Dohlaran and Alliance sides were the same, so either this is a typo on David's part (unlikely in such close proximately, or it is a separate action, and this has nothing to do with snippet 2, or RFC has something even sneakier in mind. Choices anyone?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by XofDallas   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:54 pm

XofDallas
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:either this is a typo on David's part (unlikely in such close proximately, or it is a separate action, and this has nothing to do with snippet 2, or RFC has something even sneakier in mind. Choices anyone?

I vote typo. The mini-snippet was published 10 months ago. I don't know how rfc keeps track of all the names anyway, let alone how he keeps the story consistent with the maps.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

XofDallas wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:either this is a typo on David's part (unlikely in such close proximately, or it is a separate action, and this has nothing to do with snippet 2, or RFC has something even sneakier in mind. Choices anyone?

I vote typo. The mini-snippet was published 10 months ago. I don't know how rfc keeps track of all the names anyway, let alone how he keeps the story consistent with the maps.

You might be correct, although if it is a typo, the two snippets are within a couple of pages, and I would think even a brief read through of the manuscript would have reveled the discrepancy - but snippet 2 may have been published before the final read through.
========================

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:18 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

509Seawolf wrote:Thank you

Welcome to the forums. As is traditional, I invite you to have the figurative drink of your choice at the virtual bar on the house.
========================

Post by Kakai   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Kakai
Commander

Thank you, RFC! Seems you had fun on the con and we got a long snippet, so everybody's happy. Thank you a lot!

So... no snorkels? Ah, damn, that's what I bet on. Well, at least all the rest is there... I keep on waiting for the BOOM.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain

Return to Safehold