Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #17

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #17
Post by jgnfld   » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:19 pm

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Kakai wrote:quote="fallsfromtrees"quote="XofDallas"
The real question, the ultimate cliffhanger for the entire series, is:

Does RFC, the CE or Merlin, possess an Illudium Phew-36 Explosive Space Modulator? (and yes, Marvin used "Phew," not "Q," just as Bugs used "Nincowpoop" when referring to the Bull)

Sorry for the tangent, couldn't resist./quote]
Until the OBS is deactivated , Merlin or the EoC don't dare use it, as that is the sort of high tech that is sure to trigger a reaction./quote]

Now you're just spoiling the fun ;) If they have Explosive Space Modulator they could first explosively modulate the OBS...

For my part, I'm waiting for Owl to construct a grav lance to knock out OBS! :o
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:40 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

jgnfld wrote:
Kakai wrote:quote="fallsfromtrees"quote="XofDallas"
The real question, the ultimate cliffhanger for the entire series, is:

Does RFC, the CE or Merlin, possess an Illudium Phew-36 Explosive Space Modulator? (and yes, Marvin used "Phew," not "Q," just as Bugs used "Nincowpoop" when referring to the Bull)

Sorry for the tangent, couldn't resist./quote]
Until the OBS is deactivated , Merlin or the EoC don't dare use it, as that is the sort of high tech that is sure to trigger a reaction./quote]

Now you're just spoiling the fun ;) If they have Explosive Space Modulator they could first explosively modulate the OBS...

For my part, I'm waiting for Owl to construct a grav lance to knock out OBS! :o

Now you know that is TWTSNBN.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:41 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I know what we can do... we can orbit a kaboom and when it explodes and spatters spaghetti over the eyes of the OBS sensors, rendering it harmless because it can't see a thing!! :mrgreen:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by phillies   » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:59 pm

phillies
Admiral

Clearly we have reached the end of a chapter.
Post by McGuiness   » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:00 pm

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
McGuiness wrote:How blind and deaf are the church boys gonna go when everything goes BOOOOM? :twisted:
Irrelevant. Secrecy only matters until the charges are detonated, so as to preclude the Temple boys interfering.
Sorry, it appears that you misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking how deaf and blind the church boys had to be not to notice the charges being laid, I meant how deaf and blind will they be after the charges detonate, especially since they're staring very hard directly at the river! :twisted:

Sorta like the assembly instructions: "Do not look into laser with remaining eye..." :lol:

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:48 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

McGuiness wrote:How blind and deaf are the church boys gonna go when everything goes BOOOOM? :twisted:
fallsfromtrees wrote:Irrelevant. Secrecy only matters until the charges are detonated, so as to preclude the Temple boys interfering.
McGuiness wrote:Sorry, it appears that you misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking how deaf and blind the church boys had to be not to notice the charges being laid, I meant how deaf and blind will they be after the charges detonate, especially since they're staring very hard directly at the river! :twisted:

Sorta like the assembly instructions: "Do not look into laser with remaining eye..." :lol:
Okay - yes I misunderstood.

Probably won't matter much. The charges are underwater so much of the explosive power away from the hulks to be destroyed will be damped by the water. As long as the Temple boys aren't in the water there shouldn't be much of a problem except a bunch of water being sprayed.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by BobG   » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 am

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

fallsfromtrees wrote:
McGuiness wrote:Okay - yes I misunderstood.

Probably won't matter much. The charges are underwater so much of the explosive power away from the hulks to be destroyed will be damped by the water. As long as the Temple boys aren't in the water there shouldn't be much of a problem except a bunch of water being sprayed.

If they are blowing up those barges, I wouldn't want to be within 100 yards of the place. They will go flying (in very small pieces, mostly) in all directions. And enough BP or worse, dynamite, to shatter the barges will probably be the end of that corporal mentioned in the previous snippet.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:17 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
McGuiness wrote:Okay - yes I misunderstood.

BobG wrote:If they are blowing up those barges, I wouldn't want to be within 100 yards of the place. They will go flying (in very small pieces, mostly) in all directions. And enough BP or worse, dynamite, to shatter the barges will probably be the end of that corporal mentioned in the previous snippet.

-- Bob G

You don't need charges large enough to blow the barges to very snall pieces, just enough to break them up and let the current carry the chunks off. If the charges are more than a couple of feet under water, the water will dampen most of the explosion above the water, spraying a lot of water, but most of the barge will just be broken apart and float or be carried away by the current.
========================

Post by phillies   » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:04 pm

phillies
Admiral

However, you want to be really, really sure that the barges are blown to smithereens, because you do not get a second chance to try this. Thus, the kerblammo may be healthy. Also, if the explosive is in fact newer than gunpowder, well, navy conservatism says it is a wee bit better, so we can use only 90% of what would otherwise be needed.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:14 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

phillies wrote:However, you want to be really, really sure that the barges are blown to smithereens, because you do not get a second chance to try this. Thus, the kerblammo may be healthy. Also, if the explosive is in fact newer than gunpowder, well, navy conservatism says it is a wee bit better, so we can use only 90% of what would otherwise be needed.

But you only need to blow a hole in the barge chain large enough to get one iron clad through. At that point, the ironclad drives off any defenders and you can send in the UDT divers to clear the remainder of the channel if you need to.
========================

Return to Safehold