Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #16

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #16
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:51 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Kakai wrote:Thanks for the snippet!

Snorkeling Charisians. As if Temple Boys didn't have enough nightmares already... Not that I'm complaining. :lol:
Uhm, can somebody clarify something for me please? If Rychtyr withdrawn from Trevyr and he's not in Yairdyn either ("The Yairdyn commander" doesn't sound like him), then where is he and his part of Dohlaran army?

BTW, do I recall correctly that Alvahrez is moving down the Fort Tairys - Cheryk road? If so, it seems like he'll bump into ICA soon. Somehow I don't think any side will like that when it happens.

That bit I quoted from LAMA says that Rychtyr is in full retreat up the Seridahn river. It also says that the Royal Dohlar Army is trying to reinforce Evrytyn, along the Sheryl-Seridahn canal. My guess is that he is retreating toward that point.
Post by dwileye13   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:31 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:
Kakai wrote:Thanks for the snippet!

Snorkeling Charisians. As if Temple Boys didn't have enough nightmares already... Not that I'm complaining. :lol:
Uhm, can somebody clarify something for me please? If Rychtyr withdrawn from Trevyr and he's not in Yairdyn either ("The Yairdyn commander" doesn't sound like him), then where is he and his part of Dohlaran army?

BTW, do I recall correctly that Alvahrez is moving down the Fort Tairys - Cheryk road? If so, it seems like he'll bump into ICA soon. Somehow I don't think any side will like that when it happens.

That bit I quoted from LAMA says that Rychtyr is in full retreat up the Seridahn river. It also says that the Royal Dohlar Army is trying to reinforce Evrytyn, along the Sheryl-Seridahn canal. My guess is that he is retreating toward that point.

Earl Hanth is expecting some force to retreat from the battles and will have sweeps looking for activity. Alvahrez is on the back roads south of the Forests and north of Ft. Sandfish. He is not aware of the offensive out of Thesmar and is probably headed towards Cheryk. Alvahrez knows how to use his Desnairian Cavalry and will learn what is happening.

What are Alvahrez's options? Perhaps diverting to Ft Sheldon?? He is a major force with 35,000 men that have learned many lessons.
Trouble - no doubt
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by RHWoodman   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:03 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks, RFC! Interesting snippet. My snippet withdrawal symptoms are temporarily abated. :D
Post by chrisd   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:06 pm

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kakai wrote:Snorkeling Charisians. As if Temple Boys didn't have enough nightmares already... Not that I'm complaining. :lol:

Does it have to be Snorkelling and/or frogmen?

I was thinking along the lines of the "Cockleshell Heroes" raid using very low profile and camouflaged canoes.

Protection from the elements would be easier without going to wet or dry suits and canoes would also extend the range of the operation as well.
Post by 6L6   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 pm

6L6
Commander

dwileye13, do you mean Fort Sheldyn?
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Thank you very much RFC, looking forward to the next one.

Thank you all the speculators, certainly between you and RFC, there is a lot to think about.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

chrisd wrote:
Kakai wrote:Snorkeling Charisians. As if Temple Boys didn't have enough nightmares already... Not that I'm complaining. :lol:

Does it have to be Snorkelling and/or frogmen?

I was thinking along the lines of the "Cockleshell Heroes" raid using very low profile and camouflaged canoes.

Protection from the elements would be easier without going to wet or dry suits and canoes would also extend the range of the operation as well.

No prior reason it couldn't be. But it seems quite hard to mistake one of those for a stick moving up the river.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
I wondered that too - but in the second to last chapter of LAMA, there is this comment:
Earth Hanths offensive out of Thesmar... swung north and taken Trevyr as well. General Richter was in full retreat up the Sheridahn... desperate effort to hold the ruins of Evrytyn...

So - not a misprint

Ah, I had forgotten that particular summary of what had been happening off stage. Thanks. In that case I wonder just where this bit of action is taking place? I now reckon we must be upriver of Trevyr and on the approaches to Evrytyn

BTW, I also imagine that, one way or another, Hanth has been told of Ahlvarez' escape by now. He does have 35,000 men, but his army has suffered 65% losses and his supply situation will be totally dire before he gets anywhere near Hanth. I think his best move would be to try to escape out of the bag by circling round to the North. It may depend just where the Army of Cliff Peak has gone after the end of LAMA.
Post by hvb   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:11 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Right, the "MkII" drysuit could well be rubber based rather than oiled.

The point I was trying to make was that a drysuit would make the operation a lot more likely to succeed than a wetsuit, what with wet woolen pullovers being worse than nothing on what may well be a two-hour op if not more (what with a swim upriver against current and all), but dry ones would be real survivable-like.

Graydon wrote:
hvb wrote:A couple nice dry sweaters and two layers of winter-grade pants under an "oiled canvas MkII" drysuit might just make the evolution manageable without someone swimming homeward after tying his petard to his own frozen leg by accident. :shock:

Doesn't decidedly tropical Old Charis have some natural rubber production? There hasn't been any wailing and flailing about gasket material, and we've been firmly told that the plumbing is good, so they have to have *something* that works as a gasket material.

Natural rubber wetsuits are what Cousteau started with, and they're still made; Patagonia (the company, not the region) is backing arid cultivation of an alternative natural rubber for surfing wetsuits, for example. They'd be expensive, but the ICN doesn't need many for this kind of specialized use.

I suspect the charges aren't black powder.
Post by bunyipbelle   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:42 pm

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you RFC for the snippet.I can hardly wait to read about what happens next. It is going to be very interesting to find out what the underwater activity is accomplishing.

Return to Safehold