Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #16

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #16
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:08 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Just to hazzard a guess... Hanth is in the process of blowing away the blocking barges as part of a flanking maneuver to cut off Rychter's line of retreat...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:11 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Thanks! Very interesting!
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by dwileye13   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:14 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:Just to hazzard a guess... Hanth is in the process of blowing away the blocking barges as part of a flanking maneuver to cut off Rychter's line of retreat...

Don

Precisely!

Flanking to the Sheryl-Sheridan Canal (perhaps to intercept Reinforcements and Guns. Also a direct assault supported by the River Barges and Artillery on Yairdyn then Trevyr.

I do think Alvarez may become an unwelcome addition to the mix.

I do look forward to the BOOM when those barges are made into Kindling. Also what did the engineers use to get up to the submerged barges and how did they plant the charges!
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

RFC wrote:With Cheryk lost, General Rychtyr had ordered the batteries at Yairdyn on the Seridahn withdrawn and pulled all but a token delaying force back from his main position at Trevyr.

My Bold. Do you reckon this is right; Rychtyr is abandoning his main position at Trevyr as well as that at Yairdyn? Or is the 'from' supposed to be 'to' which means he is concentrating his forces to defend his main position at Trevyr? If he gives up Trevyr isn't he losing the whole line of supply up the St Alyk River?
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

dwileye13 wrote:
I do look forward to the BOOM when those barges are made into Kindling. Also what did the engineers use to get up to the submerged barges and how did they plant the charges!

That mysterious "stick" sounds kinda like a snorkel. Eminently do-able low-tech. The Temple boy made quite a fuss about how poor the visibility was, so the engineers wouldn't have needed to be very deep.
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:36 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
RFC wrote:With Cheryk lost, General Rychtyr had ordered the batteries at Yairdyn on the Seridahn withdrawn and pulled all but a token delaying force back from his main position at Trevyr.

My Bold. Do you reckon this is right; Rychtyr is abandoning his main position at Trevyr as well as that at Yairdyn? Or is the 'from' supposed to be 'to' which means he is concentrating his forces to defend his main position at Trevyr? If he gives up Trevyr isn't he losing the whole line of supply up the St Alyk River?

I wondered that too - but in the second to last chapter of LAMA, there is this comment:
Earth Hanths offensive out of Thesmar... swung north and taken Trevyr as well. General Richter was in full retreat up the Sheridahn... desperate effort to hold the ruins of Evrytyn...

So - not a misprint
Post by hvb   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:46 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yes, a long snorkel (i.e. 16 inch or so) should do just fine ... the problem is the rest of the work environment.

I hope these lads are well drilled; rigging explosives by feel is fraught with opportunities for getting something wrong, doubly so when done with freezing fingers.
I wonder if they have invented drysuits to use instead of wetsuits?

A couple nice dry sweaters and two layers of winter-grade pants under an "oiled canvas MkII" drysuit might just make the evolution manageable without someone swimming homeward after tying his petard to his own frozen leg by accident. :shock:

Randomiser wrote:
dwileye13 wrote:

That mysterious "stick" sounds kinda like a snorkel. Eminently do-able low-tech. The Temple boy made quite a fuss about how poor the visibility was, so the engineers wouldn't have needed to be very deep.
Post by Kakai   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:03 pm

Kakai
Commander

Thanks for the snippet!

Snorkeling Charisians. As if Temple Boys didn't have enough nightmares already... Not that I'm complaining. :lol:
Uhm, can somebody clarify something for me please? If Rychtyr withdrawn from Trevyr and he's not in Yairdyn either ("The Yairdyn commander" doesn't sound like him), then where is he and his part of Dohlaran army?

BTW, do I recall correctly that Alvahrez is moving down the Fort Tairys - Cheryk road? If so, it seems like he'll bump into ICA soon. Somehow I don't think any side will like that when it happens.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain
Post by Graydon   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:04 pm

Graydon
Commander

hvb wrote:A couple nice dry sweaters and two layers of winter-grade pants under an "oiled canvas MkII" drysuit might just make the evolution manageable without someone swimming homeward after tying his petard to his own frozen leg by accident. :shock:

Doesn't decidedly tropical Old Charis have some natural rubber production? There hasn't been any wailing and flailing about gasket material, and we've been firmly told that the plumbing is good, so they have to have *something* that works as a gasket material.

Natural rubber wetsuits are what Cousteau started with, and they're still made; Patagonia (the company, not the region) is backing arid cultivation of an alternative natural rubber for surfing wetsuits, for example. They'd be expensive, but the ICN doesn't need many for this kind of specialized use.

I suspect the charges aren't black powder.
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks RFC - very happy camper over here.

Return to Safehold