Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #14

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #14
Post by alj_sf   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:49 pm

alj_sf
Commander

Thanks RFC.
Quite a lot of food for thoughts here.
Post by DianeSilva   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:54 pm

DianeSilva
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Thank you Mr Weber for this terrific snippet.I always liked what Mikail Staynair had said about free will. The people of Safehold will have that choice whether to believe or not. I'm glad Merlin has been able to see that there was still much good in theWrit despite what Langhorne Bedard and Shueler tried to do. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to the Weber family and everyone on this forum
Post by mh1   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 pm

mh1
Ensign

Thank you for the wonderful snippet.

Best Wishes..
Post by Charybdis   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

tootall wrote:I do not know if it was slotted this way or not. Be that as it may, this is a wonderful Christmas (seasonal) message.

Well done.

I too was thinking that very same thing about resonating with faith in this season.

It will be interesting what happens when Merlin "Opens the Library" after the war. Then the common people will read the books that shaped their ancestor's thought and beliefs. RFC will have a challenge in writing this, I think!
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

A very happy Christmas to RFC, his family and to you all!
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:52 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

Kufat wrote:It's interesting to contrast the nuanced (but still undeniable) villainy of the Writ's authors with the unmitigated evil of Clyntahn and many of his goons.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the snippets!

Even Clyntahn isn't a villain in his own mind. He's got an account of his actions, many of them at least, that's exactly the right thing to do given his plausibly sincere beliefs. He's the one standing between Safehold and Shan-wei. He's it. Everyone else, except a handful of the Inquisition and a tiny portion of the Vicarate, is soft, soft, soft. They think that fallen man has levers called "love" or "hope" or "respect" that can be flipped and point them away from Hell. They're wrong. Fear and pain are it. That's all that's left. You want someone spared eternal damnation? Those are your tools. If you flinch from using them, you're Shan-wei's tool, whatever rosy visions or cuddly warm feelings you have.

Langhorne and company weren't necessarily cruel, like he is. They didn't count on humans being quite so simply motivated, and they certainly didn't have theology justifying their position. (Well - not exactly - it's arguable they had a "punishment for technological hubris" historical narrative rolling around their orientation.) They figured this is what it would take to keep humanity safe from the Gbaba: no more technology, ever, and a social matrix that left the minimum social position that of chattel slavery, or tortured-to-death heretic.

Clyntahn's probably a lot worse in terms of personal vice, that we know of - just how slimy "the Archangels" may have been in their personal dealings, we do not know. In terms of program and background for it, Clyntahn's is stripped down a bit by comparison. I'm not sure I'd be ready to say he's worse. To my mind, they're both pretty near the floor of human aspiration. The bits of regard for the well-being of other humans common to both programs don't count too much against the stupendous scale of suffering both programs casually accept as necessary. Total sociopaths without much ambition would rate as far better human beings, for instance.
Post by bunyipbelle   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:33 pm

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you Rfc For the snippet. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and your family. :)
Post by eldrwyrm   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:41 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

First of all, Mr. Weber, thank you and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I wonder if we are going to see more of Sandaria, and if she will become the embodiment of a new approach to religion and belief. So far we have Dr. Mahklyn who is becoming our resident Deist, Baron Rock Point is the Atheist (I don't think he'll slip over the line into agnostic, but I could be wrong), and Paityr is still wrestling with his own beliefs.

I hope we see more of her, particularly if she and Anjhelik split on their reactions to the truth but still have to work together. Though David really doesn't need another complex character, a split like this could give him another interesting forum for talking about doctrinal differences. Of course it also gives him another character that we care about just enough for it to be heart wrenching when he kills her off for dramatic effect.
Post by MPCatchup   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:02 pm

MPCatchup
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Thanks for the snippet and Merry Christmas
Post by KNick   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:13 pm

KNick
Admiral

Thank you, RFC. And season's greetings to all.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to Safehold