Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #14

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #14
Post by Alistair   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Now Sandaria has a choice... and what will she choose?
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:50 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote: “Yet even as he did that, he tried to build a society in which men and women loved other men and women. In which they were supposed to treat one another as true brothers and sisters. In which the strong were to protect the weak, not prey upon them. The societies which grew up in places like Harchong and Desnair developed despite the teachings of the Writ, not because of them. When I first met King Haarahld, I asked him why his great-grandfather had abolished serfdom in Charis, and he replied ‘Because it’s what he believed God wanted of us.’ I pointed out that serfdom and even slavery existed in other realms and that the Church tolerated it, and I asked how he could believe God didn’t agree with serfdom if some men and women were bound to the land even in the Temple Lands, and he said ‘The Writ teaches that God created every Adam and every Eve in the same instant, the same exercise of His will through the Archangel Langhorne. He didn’t create kings first, or nobles, or wealthy merchants. He breathed the breath of life into the nostrils of all men and all women. Surely that means all men and all women are brothers and sisters.’”

Merlin paused, his expression touched with the grief he still felt over Haarahld’s death. Then his sapphire eyes refocused on Sandaria’s face.

“I didn’t know then that he’d already read the Journal of Saint Zherneau. But the thing was that even though he had, everything he’d said about what the Writ taught was completely accurate. That was what it taught.

I notice that there's no quotation mark at the end of the snippet. Which means Merlin was basically cut off mid-speech.

How long til we get to read the rest of what Merlin is saying?
Post by n7axw   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:50 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Thank you, David, indeed. This last snippet represents what I have always most deeply appreciated about David's writings--the portait of a God who is not an ogre, but someone to whom we all may be drawn someone who invites even unbelievers to the party even as he challenges believers with challenge "will you love be as vast, broad and all embracing as mine? In other words, "will you party?"

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:53 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

evilauthor wrote:
runsforcelery wrote: “Yet even as he did that, he tried to build a society in which men and women loved other men and women. In which they were supposed to treat one another as true brothers and sisters. In which the strong were to protect the weak, not prey upon them. The societies which grew up in places like Harchong and Desnair developed despite the teachings of the Writ, not because of them. When I first met King Haarahld, I asked him why his great-grandfather had abolished serfdom in Charis, and he replied ‘Because it’s what he believed God wanted of us.’ I pointed out that serfdom and even slavery existed in other realms and that the Church tolerated it, and I asked how he could believe God didn’t agree with serfdom if some men and women were bound to the land even in the Temple Lands, and he said ‘The Writ teaches that God created every Adam and every Eve in the same instant, the same exercise of His will through the Archangel Langhorne. He didn’t create kings first, or nobles, or wealthy merchants. He breathed the breath of life into the nostrils of all men and all women. Surely that means all men and all women are brothers and sisters.’”

Merlin paused, his expression touched with the grief he still felt over Haarahld’s death. Then his sapphire eyes refocused on Sandaria’s face.

“I didn’t know then that he’d already read the Journal of Saint Zherneau. But the thing was that even though he had, everything he’d said about what the Writ taught was completely accurate. That was what it taught.

I notice that there's no quotation mark at the end of the snippet. Which means Merlin was basically cut off mid-speech.

How long til we get to read the rest of what Merlin is saying?

Probably about 10-12 days...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by tootall   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:57 pm

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

I do not know if it was slotted this way or not. Be that as it may, this is a wonderful Christmas (seasonal) message.

Well done.
Post by Draken   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Draken
Commander

I want more...
It's too good and you choose the worst place to end it.
Post by Aethor   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Aethor
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Thanks for the snippet :)
Post by BobG   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:06 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thank you, David.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by ksandgren   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks RFC! In this holiday season this is a very appropriate snippet.
Post by Kufat   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It's interesting to contrast the nuanced (but still undeniable) villainy of the Writ's authors with the unmitigated evil of Clyntahn and many of his goons.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the snippets!

Return to Safehold