Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #13

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #13
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Chief-CWH wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
Well, if you think it's a good idea . . . . :twisted:

Ahlvyn Khapahr looked Thirsk in the eye.

“I’m very sorry about this, My Lord,” he said quietly. “I’ve always deeply respected you.”

Thirsk looked back at him . . . and Khapahr squeezed the trigger.

The heavy bullet hammered the earl out of his chair in a crack of thunder.

:P

Nice ending for Thirsk. I don't believe for a minute that is how he will die. But it is interesting one way he could be killed.

Ummm . . . this is a direct quote from the book, Chief-CWH.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Chief-CWH   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Chief-CWH
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Location: Tx, Al, La, VA, Ak, Md, NC and everywhere in between. Army Brat-Army Officer

runsforcelery wrote:Ummm . . . this is a direct quote from the book, Chief-CWH.

Thank You. Merry Xmas, and I wish you and your family all the best,
-------------------------------------

Commission Officer Vs Warrant Officer
When you Commission someone you hope that they will work.
When you Warrant someone you know that they will work.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Ret US Army - Ordnance/Signal
Post by Graydon   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Graydon
Commander

n7axw wrote:
Graydon wrote:[WILD hypothetical. Totally feral.]
The very next scene -- well, there'll be a bit more of this one, to make the coping failure obvious -- will be Nynian being woken up again. The returned archangels want to talk to her, and reassure her that what Merlin has said is true.

I was pretty much with you up to that last sentence... Presuming that they do come back in some form, why would that bunch of rogues want to reassure Nynian of anything???

If the returning archangels are from the Real-Schuler faction, they might well be on Shan-wei's side. I have so supposed in the hypothetical.
Post by phillies   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:37 pm

phillies
Admiral

Chief-CWH wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

“I’m very sorry about this, My Lord,” he said quietly. “I’ve always deeply respected you.”

:P

Nice ending for Thirsk. I don't believe for a minute that is how he will die. But it is interesting one way he could be killed.

runsforcelery wrote:Ummm . . . this is a direct quote from the book, Chief-CWH.

This is almost as unambiguous as the discussion of Merlin as being dead. Yes, Thirsk is...Oh, well. It's a shame.
Post by Starsaber   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

isaac_newton wrote:
fallsfromtrees wrote:And what part of tantalizing snippets did you not understand?

Just so long as they are not tart snippets! :-)

on a related note-I'm really really hoping that the final end of the series doesn't come down to a one page or even one chapter overview of 'how the gbaba came to a sticky but well deserved end'!! :(

Well, I wouldn't have a problem with it being a bit longer than one page, but I hope it's no longer than the part of OAR before Nimue wakes up in the cave. I see the Gbaba as just a necessary bit of backstory to set up what's happening on Safehold and why, not an important plot point to be resolved.
Post by dan92677   » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:53 pm

dan92677
Commander

Now THAT'S what I call a revelation!!!!!

Thanks, rfc!

Dan
Post by tootall   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:07 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery :twisted:

This is sooo cool. (Khapahr is his chief of staff- and his friend)

How about a bullet resistant material test?

Thanks celery person !!
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:39 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

tootall wrote:runsforcelery :twisted:

This is sooo cool. (Khapahr is his chief of staff- and his friend)

How about a bullet resistant material test?

Thanks celery person !!

What we know from this snippet is that Thirsk was shot. We do NOT know that he was killed. The bullet hammered the Earl out of his chair, which implies a body shot. Therefore, he might have been wearing a bullet proof vest under his tunic. He might have been provided "ballistic undies" by Merlin in anticipation of this event. It may be part of a setup in order to make Thirsk disappear from the Inquistion's purview, as a way of getting his family out from under. This latter implies that Khapahr is doing this as a friend to help evade the Inquisition. We just don't know, and I suspect will not find out until the book actually comes out - nearly a year from now.Arrgh the agony of waiting.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Dang, that scene rings true. Thirsk got whacked.

If Khapahr had an audience to convince, it would have been inquisitors. They wouldn't take kindly to his admission of respect. If this was faked and he was wearing balaistic underwear, there would be no blood to convince onlookers. The only options I see are either Khapahr truly did try to kill Thirsk or he shot Thirsk knowing he wore ballistic undies as a prelude to kill any inquisitors present.

Of the two options the former tings truer. Thirsk would be really reluctant to trust anyone from Charis. He would have to to be wearing ballistic undergarments. It is more likely that Thirsk was shot by Khapahr.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Dang, that scene rings true. Thirsk got whacked.

If Khapahr had an audience to convince, it would have been inquisitors. They wouldn't take kindly to his admission of respect. If this was faked and he was wearing balaistic underwear, there would be no blood to convince onlookers. The only options I see are either Khapahr truly did try to kill Thirsk or he shot Thirsk knowing he wore ballistic undies as a prelude to kill any inquisitors present.

Of the two options the former tings truer. Thirsk would be really reluctant to trust anyone from Charis. He would have to to be wearing ballistic undergarments. It is more likely that Thirsk was shot by Khapahr.

We don't know what preceded this. Thirsk may well have been driven to the point where he had no choice but to defect, and he had had a visit from a female seijin who provided him with the ballistic undies and a blood bag which bursts convincingly when it is shot - we just don't know. We don't even know how far into the book this except is from is it from near the end, when it has become obvious that the church has lost. It it just after Thirsk gets his first look at the Haarld VII' and realizes his navy is completely screwed regardless of what he does, or when or the circumstances following it. Is the shot fired just before a group of inquisitors burst in the door to arrest Thirsk for questioning, or what.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Safehold