Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 83 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #13

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #13
Post by John Prigent   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:53 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Another result was increased muscle strain among those attending, because hymnals, missals etc doubled in weight overnight :o .
Cheers
John

octavian30 wrote:
JRM wrote:runsforcelery wrote:In the late 1930s, the Japanese withdrew from the naval arms limits treaties which had been negotiated beginning in Washington in 1921. They did so by giving the requisite notice that they no longer intended to be bound by the treaty's voluntary limitations on worship tonnages

Also priest's were required to publicly post their weight as well, and the length of proposed sermons.

ROFL
Post by Charybdis   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:23 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:]=== SNIP ===
The Japanese indignantly — and truthfully — denied that they were doing anything of the sort. The bit of the truth they omitted from their official statements was that they were building 70,000-ton battleships with 18" guns.

In hindsight, a great many allied military remained alive to see the war's end from that decision as opposed to building additional aircraft carriers. The Yamato and her sister ship, Musashi, were designed, like their German, British and American counterparts, to be the big-fist in an all-out battle between fleets that never happened. If the Japanese had changed over and converted them to A/C Carriers and maybe built, for the costs another 1 or 2 Carriers, Midway would not have been so crippling for the IJN.

FYI: Changing intentions did work for the US in that the counterparts of the Yamato for the US were the post-Iowa class of Battleships, the Montana Class. Planned but never built, the funding eventually went towards the Aircraft Carriers and faster Cruisers.
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Charybdis wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:]=== SNIP ===
The Japanese indignantly — and truthfully — denied that they were doing anything of the sort. The bit of the truth they omitted from their official statements was that they were building 70,000-ton battleships with 18" guns.

In hindsight, a great many allied military remained alive to see the war's end from that decision as opposed to building additional aircraft carriers. The Yamato and her sister ship, Musashi, were designed, like their German, British and American counterparts, to be the big-fist in an all-out battle between fleets that never happened. If the Japanese had changed over and converted them to A/C Carriers and maybe built, for the costs another 1 or 2 Carriers, Midway would not have been so crippling for the IJN.

FYI: Changing intentions did work for the US in that the counterparts of the Yamato for the US were the post-Iowa class of Battleships, the Montana Class. Planned but never built, the funding eventually went towards the Aircraft Carriers and faster Cruisers.

My understanding of the original US strategy in the Pacific was to use the line of battleships sweeping across the Pacific to engage the Japanese fleet in a determintive battle. That was the Japanese plan as well, which they screwed up by attacking all of the battleships at Pearl Harbor, and missing the aircraft carriers. The eventual US Pacific Strategy was based on the fact that the Japanese had missed the carriers, missed the sub pens, and missed the fuel storage facilities at Pearl. Those submarines and aircraft carriers, burning that fuel, led to the loss of the war by the Japanese.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by TN4994   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:21 pm

TN4994
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:In the late 1930s, the Japanese withdrew from the naval arms limits treaties which had been negotiated beginning in Washington in 1921. They did so by giving the requisite notice that they no longer intended to be bound by the treaty's voluntary limitations on >>>worship<<< tonnages.

Evidently, someone neglected to have his wife edit before he posted.
Post by Charybdis   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:15 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

TN4994 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:In the late 1930s, the Japanese withdrew from the naval arms limits treaties which had been negotiated beginning in Washington in 1921. They did so by giving the requisite notice that they no longer intended to be bound by the treaty's voluntary limitations on >>>worship<<< tonnages.

Spellcheck is always your friend or your fiend, <snicker>!
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi TN4994,

RFC uses Dragon voice for all his writing and emails here for, since he ruined his wrist 20 years ago, NTM the distance from his office to the rest of their house, and given Sharon's medical condition, for him to have her check all of them is asking a bit much.

It happens, some times a lot, but don't blame Sharon, she's busy with the kids etc.

L

TN4994 wrote:

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by justdave   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:50 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

XofDallas wrote: It's happened once already, which is how the Rakurai (sp?) got their explosives in Charis to begin with. Here, if she keeps it to herself until they're both in Zion, she could turn on Aivah and get her captured very quickly.
[/quote]

I was referring to OWL's 'lie detector' capabilities rather than thru the SNARKs
Post by TN4994   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:31 pm

TN4994
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:Hi TN4994,

RFC uses Dragon voice for all his writing and emails here for, since he ruined his wrist 20 years ago, NTM the distance from his office to the rest of their house, and given Sharon's medical condition, for him to have her check all of them is asking a bit much.

It happens, some times a lot, but don't blame Sharon, she's busy with the kids etc.

L

lyonheart: Thank you for the info. I actually thought it more of a spell-correct program kicking in incorrectly.
But being a smart-donkey, I am left with egg on my face.
Post by Tonto Silerheels   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Tonto Silerheels
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:

My understanding of the original US strategy in the Pacific was to use the line of battleships sweeping across the Pacific to engage the Japanese fleet in a determintive battle. That was the Japanese plan as well, which they screwed up by attacking all of the battleships at Pearl Harbor, and missing the aircraft carriers. The eventual US Pacific Strategy was based on the fact that the Japanese had missed the carriers, missed the sub pens, and missed the fuel storage facilities at Pearl. Those submarines and aircraft carriers, burning that fuel, led to the loss of the war by the Japanese.

Before I opine any, let me say that I am by no means an expert on military matters.

Now, with that out of the way, I'll say that my understanding differs slightly from yours. My understanding was that a large contingent of USA Admirals believed that battleships represented the war of the future. A much smaller contingent believed that the day of the battleship had passed, and aircraft carriers represented the navy's future.

In Japan, there was a much greater belief in the aircraft carrier, but battleships were still in high regard. Aircraft carriers had slightly greater prestige (read: reliance). Japan greatly desired to destroy the USA aircraft carriers, and reports from 30 NOV 41 said that three carriers and many battleships were in Pearl Harbor. The Japanese decided to proceed with the planned 7 DEC 41 attack.

In what was surely an oversight on the part of the Americans, they had neglected to inform the Japanese that their carriers had moved out of the harbor in the meantime to participate in unrelated maneuvers. The Japanese attacked the battleships because the battleships were in the harbor, and so were the Japanese (well, they were in the area. They weren't in the harbor). The Japanese missed the carriers because the carriers weren't where the Japanese were.

Initial reports from the attacking force to the task force were that the Americans were taken completely by surprise, and that the battleships had received massive damage. Because of those results the Japanese decided to call off the third (?) wave of attacks as it was felt that they could accomplish very little, and the third wave would face more resistance as the Americans had more time to develop a response. The third wave was to attack the repair facilities and the fuel storage facilities. The fuel storage facilities weren't so much 'missed' as they were declined. I don't remember anything about submarine pens.

Subsequently, as the Americans had aircraft carriers and they didn't have battleships, the pro-carrier contingent amongst the Admiralty won by a sort of a bye. "You think aircraft carriers are the way to fight a war; well, here's your chance."

Now, here's my thoroughly unprofessional opinion: the Japanese would have lost the war even had the aircraft carriers, the fuel storage facilities, and the repair facilities been destroyed.

~Tonto
Post by n7axw   » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:28 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The Japanese lost the war because they bit off more than they could chew. They couldn't sustain the size of military they needed for their ambitions because their industrial plant, population and resourses were too small to match the opposition. That's not even to consider the fact that they had no way to get at America's industry which meant that we could expand to our heart's content without fear of being attacked. What happened was the Japanese and Germans were swarmed under by the vast quantity of arms and supplies that was produced by an enemy they couldn't even get at.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold