Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 79 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #12

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #12
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:01 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

anwi wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:There's one hard fact in your very quote snippet :-)
St Kohdy and his hikousen. To me there was some definite question as to the level of tech that Khhdy had access to. We knew that he had a 'magic' sword, as one of the warriors faithful to Langhorne/Schuhler. This shows a yet higher 'angelic' level of knowledge, I would say.

If you know what hikousen really stands for, I'd be interested. ;) Obviously, it's related to kyousei hi, but what exactly and how he used it, remains unclear, or?
What we know is that Kohdy had a battlesteel sword, had access to angelic transport (courtesy of whom is unclear), that he lost to an oppposition "seijin" and thereafter started doubting in Chihiro, and that he died while visiting Schueler in Zion.
I'm not convinced that tranlates into a significantly higher initial level of knowledge for Kohdy. What he knew when he died is one of the crucial bits of the puzzle and likely snippets away...

hikousen apparently is the Japanese word for airship. Since the only other language the Nynian knows about is Spanish, where did she acquire the word for airship - in Japanese. Was that the term used by the archangels for their "magical" air transports, and it is something from Kohdy's journals, or what?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by BobG   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:13 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

pbreed wrote:
Ok... I got a weird feeling about this snippet....
Merlin is taking people and Nimue to the one place where all the records, owl, Narlman etc is located. Suppose that there was more than one vest pocket nuke left around un-accounted for...

What would happen with no Owl, no Merlin, no Nimue, no federation records, all gone from a single blast....

That's been worrying me, too.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:17 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

It might only mean that Seijin Kohdy had access to a skimmer that his disciples were familiar with and that became part of the lore passed along through the sisters. I think that would be the Occum's razor approach anyway. It does account for the facts we know at this time.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Charybdis   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

"Prince Nahrman, I presume" said Nynian, tartly! :lol:
"Mostly" replied Nahrman, tersely. 8-)
Merlin quivered, tensely. :?
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

Enough! I can't take the terrible Ts any longer!

Charybdis wrote:"Prince Nahrman, I presume" said Nynian, tartly! :lol:
Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake
Post by Caliban   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Caliban
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I was afraid of this.... for some, the snippet arrived too late.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
====================================

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A Fool speaks because he has to say something."
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:38 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:There's one hard fact in your very quote snippet :-)
St Kohdy and his hikousen. To me there was some definite question as to the level of tech that Khhdy had access to. We knew that he had a 'magic' sword, as one of the warriors faithful to Langhorne/Schuhler. This shows a yet higher 'angelic' level of knowledge, I would say.
anwi wrote:
If you know what hikousen really stands for, I'd be interested. ;) Obviously, it's related to kyousei hi, but what exactly and how he used it, remains unclear, or?
What we know is that Kohdy had a battlesteel sword, had access to angelic transport (courtesy of whom is unclear), that he lost to an oppposition "seijin" and thereafter started doubting in Chihiro, and that he died while visiting Schueler in Zion.
I'm not convinced that tranlates into a significantly higher initial level of knowledge for Kohdy. What he knew when he died is one of the crucial bits of the puzzle and likely snippets away...
fallsfromtrees wrote:hikousen apparently is the Japanese word for airship. Since the only other language the Nynian knows about is Spanish, where did she acquire the word for airship - in Japanese. Was that the term used by the archangels for their "magical" air transports, and it is something from Kohdy's journals, or what?

Looking back in OAR, I see that the "magical" vehicle that delivered the archangels when then traveled to see the hoi polloi was called a "kyousei hi". I suppose the change in names could be a result of translation shift over the centuries.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks RFC - another wonderful snippet.

And now we know that Kohdy had a 'magical' flying machine (Japanese words are used for all the 'special' things that the Archangels had - so no reason for Ninian to 'know' any Japanese; just to know that it is the word for a flying machine); and that also perhaps explains how Merlin was able to persuade Ninian to get into the flyer - 'I'm a sort of seijin, and like Kohdy I have the use of a holy artifact that can travel faster than anything you have ever seen.....'.

I had been concerned about how he could get them in the flyer without telling her the whole story
Post by n7axw   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:51 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Nah,... doesn't work. Nahrman is never "terse" about anything.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by eldrwyrm   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:15 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

Only Sharley is allowed to do things 'tartly.' ;)

Return to Safehold