Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #11

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #11
Post by Charybdis   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:56 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

anwi wrote:Hi, as we're on withdrawal let's spend the time ... productively. ;)

n7axw wrote:I am having trouble visualizing any fortifications that the COGA might set up as being resistant to the heavier shells of DE's angle guns for any serious length of time.
Also, you can only get so many men under effective cover once the bombardment starts.

I'm no military engineer, either, so I have to speculate, but I envisage a lot of dirt. My point of reference would be WWI trenches. If you dig in deep enough, you'd need todays' bunker busters or those Tallboy types munitions of WW2. Both are out of scope for the ICA, moreover they could not actually deploy these munitions lacking arial capabilities.
Barring that, the CoGA could dig in around e.g. a city. The ICA could certainly keep up an annoying level of bombardment, but the "kill ratio" would likely be too low to cut down CoGA units to a level where their defensive capabilities collapse. Moreover, the CoGA should be able to dig proper gun pits/fortified firing positions for its artillery, so that all close range engagements (e.g. mortars) would be a risky endeavour. And with deep trenches and hefty provisions in storage rooms in cellars or in specifically excavated rooms in bedrock (if available), depriving the CoGA units of the supply they need to continue the fight would be hard.
I would not assume that the CoGA capabilities would be sufficient to hold such a defensive position if the ICA really wants to take it at any cost (in lives), but it would take likely months of siege. And it would be costly just in terms of spent ammunition, of which there is a limited supply.

n7axw wrote:Thinking about the supply situation, I would think that the alliance would be better able to protect its supply convoys with calvary and dragoons than the people forted up would have busting through to raise the siege.

The Harchonese represent a huge force, but of marginally competent, for the most part indifferently armed soldiers, at best limited in mobility which will prove their undoing when the furbar starts.

On the supply situation: If the CoGA dug rather extensive trenches and fortifications (for > 100000 men) in a place with good lines of communication (at the Langhorne canal with access to high roads, etc.) keeping up a tight siege will be hard even for the ICA, I guess. Without motorized transport, they'd have to resupply (and provision) their forward units the hard way. And those forward units and their lines of communications would be vulnerable to CoGA counterattacks from the CoGA reserves (as they could raise and deploy another army of let's say 200000 for that purpose while the siege lasts). And if you don't block the CoGA lines of communication continuously, they'll be able to resupply and hold their position even longer.

On your points on the offensive "capabilities" of the "mighty" host, I agree, as I've indicated before. Again, their limitations define the catch 22 Magwair is in. He's not allowed to deploy them defensively (which would be the best he could do) or he loses them by defeat in detail on the offensive. It'll be interesting to see, when he and Rhobair realize these points and what they'll do then.

I think we are getting a bit of 'tunnel vision' when we start considering trenches and trench warfare. In our history, trench-warfare (not siege trenches) did not come into use until the mid-1800s (Crimea and US-CW) and then became really big in Europe for WW1. The thing to remember is that deep, effective trenching does require engineering as well as massive man-hours, in short it is EXPENSIVE and must be traded off against need. While Charis angle-guns are now infamous to the CoGA, they are still working on effective countermeasures. It is illogical to go to the most expensive countermeasure before the need becomes apparent, especially if you (CoGA) are becoming financially strapped. Another fact to face is that not all terrain is suited to trenching and that desire then shifts to above-ground bunkering that tends to draw the eye and artillery!

The next critique that I have for trenching in this case is that it comes into its own in times of static war. The battle lines around Sevastopol in Crimea, Petersburg in VA and WW1 in Europe were all effective because defense had become dominant. I do not see that happening on Safehold because Charis knows that it cannot do well in a 'sitzkrieg' and need aggressive tactics like those of Green Valley and his compatriots. If you keep the lines in motion, the enemy has no time to dig-in.
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by anwi   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:14 pm

anwi
Commander

Charybdis wrote:
(snip)
The thing to remember is that deep, effective trenching does require engineering as well as massive man-hours, in short it is EXPENSIVE and must be traded off against need. While Charis angle-guns are now infamous to the CoGA, they are still working on effective countermeasures. It is illogical to go to the most expensive countermeasure before the need becomes apparent, especially if you (CoGA) are becoming financially strapped. Another fact to face is that not all terrain is suited to trenching and that desire then shifts to above-ground bunkering that tends to draw the eye and artillery!

Well, I'd answer that man-power is probably the only thing the CoGA has aplenty. So, effective trenches would be well within their range of realistic options. Bunkers (e.g. from reinforced contrete) are probably not realistic. And as to weaponry that would actually allow them to take on the ICA on an equal footing, we probably agree that they don't have them either. But I agree on the fact that not all Terrain is suitable, and the CoGA would ideally have to prepare their defensive positions in rear areas before the ICA gets there. (see below)

Charybdis wrote:
The next critique that I have for trenching in this case is that it comes into its own in times of static war. (snip) I do not see that happening on Safehold because Charis knows that it cannot do well in a 'sitzkrieg' and need aggressive tactics like those of Green Valley and his compatriots. If you keep the lines in motion, the enemy has no time to dig-in.

I agree that the ICA will try to keep the pressure up, and with Clyntahn running the show and punishing even discussions of a defensive strategy with wanton torture, Magwair is not likely go down that route anytime soon, at least not voluntarily. However, there should be quite some fortifications at places like e.g. Aivahnstyn. So, if the CoGA doesn't manage to loose a large part of the current troops in the failed attack we're kind of expecting, they should at least be able to draw back on their well established transport routes into a defensive setting before the ICA logistics could be extended to resupply the ICA units in pursuit.
In any case, I don't envisage these defensive scenarios for the CoGA to be relevant in the immediate future (although it would be the CoGA's best option). So this discussion is a bit hypothetical, just to be clear.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:32 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I agree that this will be primarily a war of movement. But I can also visualize large bodies of troops isolated and cut off and isolated either cut off from their supplies and compelled to fort up. The normal tactic probably be to starve them into surrender.

But I admit I am curious as to whether they can pile dirt high enough and dig deep enough to secure themselves against angle guns like anwi suggests.

There will be no WW1 style trench lines where everybody has secure supply behind their own lines. But there could well be situations looking like Petersburg and Vicksburg.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:I agree that this will be primarily a war of movement. But I can also visualize large bodies of troops isolated and cut off and isolated either cut off from their supplies and compelled to fort up. The normal tactic probably be to starve them into surrender.

But I admit I am curious as to whether they can pile dirt high enough and dig deep enough to secure themselves against angle guns like anwi suggests.

There will be no WW1 style trench lines where everybody has secure supply behind their own lines. But there could well be situations looking like Petersburg and Vicksburg.

Don

I must admit that my eyes keep being drawn to St Vyrdyn, in the border states, on the long road to Lake Pei, as a location for such a siege - that sounds so like Verdun to me - but I guess that's much too obvious a device!
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:28 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
I must admit that my eyes keep being drawn to St Vyrdyn, in the border states, on the long road to Lake Pei, as a location for such a siege - that sounds so like Verdun to me - but I guess that's much too obvious a device!

Our gentle author would never do anything like naming the leader of a revolutionary government in Nouveau Paris Rob S. Pierre, just so people might draw the analogy to the French Revolution, would he?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by alj_sf   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:31 pm

alj_sf
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:

Our gentle author would never do anything like naming the leader of a revolutionary government in Nouveau Paris Rob S. Pierre, just so people might draw the analogy to the French Revolution, would he?

As long as the road is not named the sacred road, this may be only a coincidence ;)

Problem is Charis being the one on offensive, that would be not a good omen, that battle being a defender victory. And the other main battle fought here (1792) was a victory of the coalition against revolutionary France, again a bad omen.
Post by anwi   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:58 pm

anwi
Commander

n7axw wrote:I agree that this will be primarily a war of movement. But I can also visualize large bodies of troops isolated and cut off and isolated either cut off from their supplies and compelled to fort up. The normal tactic probably be to starve them into surrender.

That could well happen, but in these cases the siege would probably be successful rather quickly. Usually, you're not sitting on a pile of supplies when your enemy is so inconsiderate as to entrap you.

n7axw wrote:But I admit I am curious as to whether they can pile dirt high enough and dig deep enough to secure themselves against angle guns like anwi suggests.

If these WW1 docu-dramas don't misrepresent the trenches, then they were not that deep, perhaps 2 to 5 metres, as backed up by wikipedia. But more importantly, you not only have one entrenched line of defense but in addition fallback positions and supporting trenches. And as I understand the tactical problems of trench warfare if you can't outflank the position, it's quite hard to soften them up effectively by artillery attacks. During massive artillery attacks the soldiers in the frontline trenches would actually often retreat to rear areas or deep, comparatively safe bunkers. And then, when the tapering off of the enemy artillery barrage announced the imminent assault, they'd go back to man their firing positions.
The CoGA soldiers might get around to learning that lesson, as they've started to develop a love affair with the shovel as someone was putting it into words.

n7axw wrote:There will be no WW1 style trench lines where everybody has secure supply behind their own lines. But there could well be situations looking like Petersburg and Vicksburg.

Isaac_newton wrote:I must admit that my eyes keep being drawn to St Vyrdyn, in the border states, on the long road to Lake Pei, as a location for such a siege - that sounds so like Verdun to me - but I guess that's much too obvious a device!

That actually makes a lot of sense. I looked it up on the detailed map and St. Vyrdyn is at a major crossroads (besides being a capital city) and probably has already some fortifications. Then, there's Mhartynberg, also fortified. Now, if you're an author and just can't decide if it's Vycksberg or Paityrsberg - to name just one possible reason ;) - Mhartynberg would be a good choice of a name, or? And what's more, Mhartynberg is on the Langhorne canal and there's a major road between both cities. Interesting possibilities. Has to be a one in a million chance. ;)
Post by pokermind   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:18 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Trench warfare is older than WW1, the siege of Petersburg in the ACW see, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Petersburg, General Washington's siege of Yorktown during the revolution, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown are two American examples. Before gunpowder walls were built to surround towns under siege, some times double walls like Julius Caesar's siege at Alesia see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia. As Safeholdians are used to siege warfare the Church forces should be familiar with trench warfare.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

anwi wrote:I'm no military engineer, either, so I have to speculate, but I envisage a lot of dirt. My point of reference would be WWI trenches. If you dig in deep enough, you'd need today's bunker busters or those Tallboy types munitions of WW2. Both are out of scope for the ICA, moreover they could not actually deploy these munitions lacking aerial capabilities.

As has been pointed out in various threads regarding Trench-works, there is too much front and not enough soldiers for WWI western front trenches; The only possible model from R/W history is entrenched cities/strong-points a la Crimean War or American Civil War. Tactics both sides are already using, FWIW, where there are choke points to block or cities to defend.

anwi wrote:Barring that, the CoGA could dig in around e.g. a city. The ICA could certainly keep up an annoying level of bombardment, but the "kill ratio" would likely be too low to cut down CoGA units to a level where their defensive capabilities collapse.

Perhaps the CoGA will learn to build more sophisticated trench-works than the ICA has encountered so far, but Charis has had little trouble reducing AoG entrenchments, while the AoG has run into a meat-grinder when they've attacked entrenched Charisian defensive positions.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by n7axw   » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
anwi wrote:I'm no military engineer, either, so I have to speculate, but I envisage a lot of dirt. My point of reference would be WWI trenches. If you dig in deep enough, you'd need today's bunker busters or those Tallboy types munitions of WW2. Both are out of scope for the ICA, moreover they could not actually deploy these munitions lacking aerial capabilities.

As has been pointed out in various threads regarding Trench-works, there is too much front and not enough soldiers for WWI western front trenches; The only possible model from R/W history is entrenched cities/strong-points a la Crimean War or American Civil War. Tactics both sides are already using, FWIW, where there are choke points to block or cities to defend.

anwi wrote:Barring that, the CoGA could dig in around e.g. a city. The ICA could certainly keep up an annoying level of bombardment, but the "kill ratio" would likely be too low to cut down CoGA units to a level where their defensive capabilities collapse.

Perhaps the CoGA will learn to build more sophisticated trench-works than the ICA has encountered so far, but Charis has had little trouble reducing AoG entrenchments, while the AoG has run into a meat-grinder when they've attacked entrenched Charisian defensive positions.

Hi Harold,

What you say here is my point with my comment that with the exception of strong points if isolated bodies of isolated troops cut off who've been forced to fort up, the war will be mobile.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold