Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Official HFQ Snippet #10

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Official HFQ Snippet #10
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:27 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

tootall wrote:PeterZ wrote:
Once Green Valley gets to St. Zhans to Ohlahrn, it is only slightly farther to Ice Lizard lake than it is to Guarnak.

Why wouldn't you go straight to Guarnak? Doesn't that cut them off completely- given the weather? Not suggesting -just asking.

My thought was to force an unprepared army into a winter march. Either that or concede to Green Valley control over Wyrshym's supply lines. Either option forces Wyrshym into a tactical offensives he is unprepared for. Wyrshym must try to beat BGV to Lake City in the dead of winter or wait until Spring or Summer after BGV has fortified to a fare-thee-well.

Attacking in Spring means marching after most if his provisions are consumed. Attacking now exposes the army to that killing cold. Choices, choices.
Post by phillies   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:31 pm

phillies
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
tootall wrote:PeterZ wrote:
Once Green Valley gets to St. Zhans to Ohlahrn, it is only slightly farther to Ice Lizard lake than it is to Guarnak.

Why wouldn't you go straight to Guarnak? Doesn't that cut them off completely- given the weather? Not suggesting -just asking.

My thought was to force an unprepared army into a winter march. Either that or concede to Green Valley control over Wyrshym's supply lines. Either option forces Wyrshym into a tactical offensives he is unprepared for. Wyrshym must try to beat BGV to Lake City in the dead of winter or wait until Spring or Summer after BGV has fortified to a fare-thee-well.

Attacking in Spring means marching after most if his provisions are consumed. Attacking now exposes the army to that killing cold. Choices, choices.

Leaving Wyrshym a line of withdrawal means that general Winter can do her job. Forcing battles in the open, Charis on the defensive, means that Wyrshym must maneuver in the cold. Recall, however, that Napoleon is Russia was also marching through the worst typhus epidemic in many years.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Also, Phillies, Wyrshym has to wait until BGV commits to either going towards Guarnak or not before he moves. Not waiting exposes his army of getting caught in the open. That gives BGV a headstart.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Also, Phillies, Wyrshym has to wait until BGV commits to either going towards Guarnak or not before he moves. Not waiting exposes his army of getting caught in the open. That gives BGV a headstart.

What I am a bit confused about is the time table. As BVG starts his march, are we starting winter? In the middle? Toward the end?

As BVG begins his march, what is DE doing at this point in the time table?

To my thinking we should be starting winter, but I'm not sure.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ericth   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm

ericth
Commander

BGV has choices in which direction he goes, but where he picks his spot may also need to factor in when, how long, and the status of the Mighty Host of God And the Archangels.

If he heads for Cat Lizard Lake, it's probably easiest to get to before Wyrsham, but isnt that a fairly exposed position itself for supply and especially come spring?

If Wyrsham attacks right away he faces the winter full on. But if he waits, would it not make better sense to bring up reinforcements from the west? Especially if they wait till spring. Even for the winterized ICA, supplying the salient all the way to Cat Lizard Lake would be tough, even without AoG attempts to interdict supplies.

It would be kinda funny if each army cut off it's opposite's supply line.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

BGV is exposed if Kaitswyrth survives. If Symmyrs takes out Kaitswyrth before spring, resupply can come up the Daivyn. Toss in Eastshare capturing Dairnyth and that canal intact and the multiplicity of possible supply lines eases BGV's risk. The ICA can defeat the enemies and the RSA garrisons the repatriated territory.
Post by AirTech   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:15 pm

AirTech
Captain of the List

BobG wrote:I wonder: with the steel thistle silk layered with wool, will that significantly slow incoming shrapnel or even bullets? Has anyone figured out that a vest of 6-12 layers of steel thistle silk will stop rifle fire from gunpowder-propelled weapons?

I certainly don't expect the development of ceramic body armor plates anytime soon.

And how about layering the inside of a galleon with layers of steel thistle silk to reduce splinters?

-- Bob G

The quilted cotton parka's of the Chinese army certainly stopped the M-1's 0.3" round in the Korean War...
Post by bunyipbelle   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:24 pm

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you RFC for the snippett. :D Have a wonderful trip to Europe.
I wonder what the group of four and co will think of the Imperial Charisian Army and their steel thistle silk winter uniforms.The thought of ordinary soldiers having their uniforms made out of a fabric that has traditionally been so expensive would give certain people
cause for some deep thought.I can just imagine Rhobair Duchairn's reaction. He'd gasp and then start thinking wondering how they would have done it.
Post by Tanstaafl   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Tanstaafl
Commander

I don’t think we will see just a tactical campaign. Cutting off supply lines and finding a favorable position for next spring. Nor will it be driving of the army of the Sylmahn Gap. This is the CoGA’s best army with its best generals.

These are troops trained in winter warfare, not just winter marching. Complete defeat and / or surrender is what I expect as the goal of this winter campaign.
Post by Steelpoodle   » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:36 pm

Steelpoodle
Ensign

Great snippet. Thank you so very much! I agree that some form of bullet resistance is possible with the uniforms as posted, perhaps a multi-weave at various angles and layers would serve as bullet resistant without undue bulkiness but I think most soldiers would take the bulkiness in exchange for the protection. I wonder if the heat buildup under such a vest would become prohibitive as summer comes along.

Return to Safehold