Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 83 guests

24 pounder tested against a hull replica of the Wasa warship

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: 24 pounder tested against a hull replica of the Wasa war
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:10 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Tenshinai wrote:
Joat42 wrote:Well, originally it was a working design but someone wanted more of everything which made her top-heavy and unstable with predictable results.

When i looked it up to make sure i didn´t say anything wrong, i actually found that this may be a myth.

Examinations have been done that shows no changes in the design after construction started, and the number of guns ordered (early on) were what was later used.

#####
rdt wrote:Since Vasa never completed her maiden voyage (blub, blub), it certainly was a naval design failure for all the reasons stated in the above posts. But the ship itself is a beauty. The carving and wood sculpting are exquisite. And the Swedes have done a magnificent job of exhibiting the ship and much of its human elements in the Vasa museum in Stockholm. Were air travel more comfortable these days, it would almost be worth a trip to Stockholm just to see that. As it is Stockholm for a week is, in itself, a worthwhile holiday destination.

Yeah, i´ve been there a few times since i grew up in Stockholm, and it really is an awesome sight.

And like joat says, Stockholm is definitely an excellent place to visit, IN SUMMER. :mrgreen:

The real problem wasn't mucking around with her design after it was officially "frozen" (that's more of a modern USN tradition :roll: :x :D). It was simply that no one knew how to make proper stability calculations and when concerns were expressed, the "whistleblowers" were told to sit down and shut up. It's nice to know that some bureaucratic and government agency traditions have been around for so long, isn't it? :P :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:The real problem wasn't mucking around with her design after it was officially "frozen" (that's more of a modern USN tradition :roll: :x :D). It was simply that no one knew how to make proper stability calculations and when concerns were expressed, the "whistleblowers" were told to sit down and shut up. It's nice to know that some bureaucratic and government agency traditions have been around for so long, isn't it? :P :lol:

Bureaucrat, the worlds second oldest profession (with electrician being the oldest since someone had to run all those wires before the light was turned on). :lol:

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:49 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Joat42 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:The real problem wasn't mucking around with her design after it was officially "frozen" (that's more of a modern USN tradition :roll: :x :D). It was simply that no one knew how to make proper stability calculations and when concerns were expressed, the "whistleblowers" were told to sit down and shut up. It's nice to know that some bureaucratic and government agency traditions have been around for so long, isn't it? :P :lol:

Bureaucrat, the worlds second oldest profession (with electrician being the oldest since someone had to run all those wires before the light was turned on). :lol:

True. But "electrician" lacks the scatological implications of "bureaucrat." :roll:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Henry Brown   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

[quote="Joat42]
Bureaucrat, the worlds second oldest profession (with electrician being the oldest since someone had to run all those wires before the light was turned on). :lol:[/quote]

I prefer the more traditional definition of "the world's oldest profession" rather than electrician. But electrician or prostitute, either is going to be more honest that a bureaucrat. :lol:
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

:mrgreen:

Well, that and the fact that Sweden wasn´t really a naval nation at the time helped build up to the mess.

When you make no difference between putting a general or an admiral in charge of a fleet, there MAY just be a wee little bit of a problem somewhere(theatrical *cough cough* Kronan 1676 *cough cough*)... ;)
Post by Skywatcher44   » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Skywatcher44
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Thucydides wrote:Look at the Vasa's lines, and you see that the when the cannon are run out they do not form an effective broadside, since they are all slightly iverging from each other (as the range increases, the shot will land farther and farther apart). She could shoot ar fairly acute angles from the stem, but less so for the stern.

I am no expert, but I am not sure how the divergent angles prevent an effective broadside, I was under the impression that gunners normally "fire as you bear", meaning the guns would tend to fire front to back or back to front anyway? Seems the forward angle on the first few cannon just let you start your broadside a bit early, hoping for that "golden bb"?
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Skywatcher44 wrote:I am no expert, but I am not sure how the divergent angles prevent an effective broadside, I was under the impression that gunners normally "fire as you bear", meaning the guns would tend to fire front to back or back to front anyway? Seems the forward angle on the first few cannon just let you start your broadside a bit early, hoping for that "golden bb"?

The problem, as i understood, was that it was hard to point all guns in one direction on "Wasa", because the gunports were placed so, that the guns couldn't be actually placed parallel to each other.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:03 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:

The problem, as i understood, was that it was hard to point all guns in one direction on "Wasa", because the gunports were placed so, that the guns couldn't be actually placed parallel to each other.

Like i already stated in previous post, cannons can be aimed sideways, and the more guns on a smaller ship, the more difficult it is to have a straight gundeck at all.

As i also noted above, not even the vastly larger and century later Victory of Nelson has a perfectly straight gundeck.
Post by SWM   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:04 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:
Dilandu wrote:

Like i already stated in previous post, cannons can be aimed sideways, and the more guns on a smaller ship, the more difficult it is to have a straight gundeck at all.

As i also noted above, not even the vastly larger and century later Victory of Nelson has a perfectly straight gundeck.
Dilandu's point was that the guns on the Wasa cannot be aimed sideways enough to point parallel to each other. On later ships they could and did, so that all could be aimed at the same target at the same time. On the Wasa, only a few guns could be aimed at the target at the same time.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

SWM wrote:Dilandu's point was that the guns on the Wasa cannot be aimed sideways enough to point parallel to each other. On later ships they could and did, so that all could be aimed at the same target at the same time. On the Wasa, only a few guns could be aimed at the target at the same time.

Except that yes they can... :roll: This is not an unknown or uncertainty, this is KNOWN.

The only exception are the front chaser gun ports.

http://www.greydragon.org/trips/stockholm/vasa049.jpg
http://nauticalarch.org/galleries/proje ... _Fig_3.jpg
http://www.vasamuseet.se/ImageVaultFile ... llen_2.JPG

Just do some image searching until you find more pictures with better perspective.

Return to Safehold