Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #9

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #9
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Randomiser wrote:We're not really due a fix, er snippet, till about the 28th but no harm in begging, pleading and abasing ourselves. :lol:

True, but your groveling might have been more effective if you'd recalled that in addition to all those other minor commemorative dates, today is also the 62nd October 24th since a rainy day in Cleveland, Ohio, when Alice Godard Weber gave birth to a baby boy who grew up to annoy the hell out of everyone around him. :twisted:

Can't quite recall what she decided to name him . . . . :lol:

And it's not time for another snippet yet, which means that I refer you to an early scene in Monty Python's "Quest for the Holy Grail." :P

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Cleveland huh? Well that explains a lot. I was there this summer. It's nuts there. :lol:

runsforcelery wrote:
Randomiser wrote:We're not really due a fix, er snippet, till about the 28th but no harm in begging, pleading and abasing ourselves. :lol:

True, but your groveling might have been more effective if you'd recalled that in addition to all those other minor commemorative dates, today is also the 62nd October 24th since a rainy day in Cleveland, Ohio, when Alice Godard Weber gave birth to a baby boy who grew up to annoy the hell out of everyone around him. :twisted:

And it's not time for another snippet yet, which means that I refer you to an early scene in Monty Python's "Quest for the Holy Grail." :P
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by SHV   » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

SHV
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

"today is also the 62nd October 24th since a rainy day in Cleveland, Ohio, when Alice Godard Weber gave birth to a baby"
Happy Birthday RFC??

Steve
Post by pokermind   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:59 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

We fans did notice RFC's birthday on the Honorverse forum as it is also the day used for the first landing on Manticore, First post on http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6374:

Neitz wrote:Today we celebrate great beginnings for the Honorverse:

24 October, 775 PD: The sublight colony ship Jason departs the Sol System for the Manticore Binary System

24 October, 1952 CE: Birth of author David Weber.

Of course Mange and I chimed in.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

A belated/ontime (stupid timezones) happy birthday RFC! :)
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:50 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:A belated/ontime (stupid timezones) happy birthday RFC! :)

Ooooops - a belated very happy birthday to you and many more of them!

Definitely on a par with Agincourt!
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Don, AClone,

I did bring this up 2-3 pages ago, but it got lost amid more exciting posts apparently. ;)

But I didn't expect RFC to respond given all that was going on at the time; dentists, birthdays, etc.

More combat troops from Chisholm seems a bit too quick, given the extensive practice the ICA's tactics require, possibly more mortar troops, since that could be done faster.

The troops could be fresh marines from Charis, having finished their training on Helen's Island; or specialized support troops, possibly engineers who've just finished their instruction and practice with dynamite and possibly even TNT or at least briefed on it.

They could also be artillery trained on the new breech loaders, or possibly dynamite rockets [much lower firing shock and acceleration].

Plus whatever was made at Eraystor, possibly something for the canal barrier mentioned in the unofficial snippet #2?

We still don't know where the troops that left Port Royal at the beginning of section 10 in September have gone; probably near Silk Town, since Hanth doesn't think of them in his thoughts at the end of October when Delthak is saluted, though that should have been too early for them to arrive, NTM an army corps is too big for him to command with no previous experience.

I thought I'd finished this hours ago.

Perhaps we'll find out soon.

L

n7axw wrote:
AClone wrote:All right, so here's another question that struck me.

The roster lists "half a dozen troopships" in the attacked convoy, which was heading from Tellesburg to Siddar City.

I thought all of the Marines and ICA units were either already gone from Old Charis, or still in Chisholm. So...if no one has asked already, where did additional (presumably trained) troops come from?

I would have thought that new enlistees would be heading from Tellesberg, etc, towards Chisholm for training, not the front.

My guess on this is that they would indeed be heading for the front. We know that men are being recruited and freshly trained all the time. This could have been the latest batch.

Don
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by pokermind   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:12 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Chief, "Happy belated birthday."

<Perhaps a cute art with Terrain mice for a snack will help get a new snippet, two-legs.>

Poker & Mange
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:12 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Gah its RFC's birthday! Totally missed that one! Happy birthday! (even if I am late)
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:25 am

Keith_w
Commodore

runsforcelery wrote:

Yes, and a happy belated birthday from me as well. Can we have our loot bag of snippet now? Please? :D
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold