Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

"King Haarahld VI"-class, paint art

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: "King Haarahld VI"-class, paint art
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:15 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Dilandu wrote:
Joat42 wrote:Is the yellow dots portholes? I wonder how far in the future they will start welding those shut because they are weakspots.

As I understood it most older ships had portholes because there where no forced ventilation and without those portholes it would become unbearable hot below deck (depending on the weather ofc).

No, the problem was simply a comfort. Crews, locked in the porthole-less metal box wouldn't be exactly happy about that.

Moders warships has less portholes as the anti-nuclear precaution, not because it somehow affect ther integrity.

Agreed, but with a couple of caveats.

Lack of ventilation did create significant habitability problems, which is one reason sailing warships spent so much time with wind scoops rigged to direct wind down into the interior of the ship, Powered ventilation did make a significant change in that respect.

More to the point, perhaps, one wartime discovery was that scuttles (portholes) increase flooding as a ship settles deeper into the water. As a result, you will see no scuttles lower than the "flooding deck" (I use that term for clarity avoiding a whole plethora of technical terminology), or the boundary deck which is supposed to keep the core compartments and vital systems unflooded and protect the ship's essential buoyancy even if other compartments higher in the ship flood.

One of the most telling comments on the thin armor of the last 2 WWI BCs of the British Grand Fleet (Respite and Renown) was that when they arrived at Scapa Flow "The scuttles in their hulls revealed the inadequacy of their single strake of thin armor to all the world."

It's also worth looking at the Russian (Hey, Dilandu!) Imperator Pavel class battelships laid down in 1903 or 1904 but heavily reworked post-Tushima. Some of the Russian ships lost there flooded through their scuttles as they took on water through other holes in the hull and settled deeper into the water. The Russians responded in Imperator Pavel and (I think) Andrei Pervoswani (sorry about the spelling, Dilandu; I'm shooting from memory here) by eliminating all scuttles from their hulls. And, IIRC, both ships enjoyed a reputation (deserved or not; I have no supporting documentation either way) for being unhealthy vessels because of that. It's worth noting, however, that IIRC, no last-generation USN battleship (all designed in the 1930s and 40s, well before the atomic bomb was more than a gleam in Enrico Fermi's eye) had portholes or scuttles in the hull at all. I may be wrong about that, but I don't think I am. If anyone has more ready access to his reference books than I do and can chime in to correct me if wrong, I'd appreciate it.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:21 am

Dilandu
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:It's also worth looking at the Russian (Hey, Dilandu!) Imperator Pavel class battelships laid down in 1903 or 1904 but heavily reworked post-Tushima. Some of the Russian ships lost there flooded through their scuttles as they took on water through other holes in the hull and settled deeper into the water. The Russians responded in Imperator Pavel and (I think) Andrei Pervoswani (sorry about the spelling, Dilandu; I'm shooting from memory here) by eliminating all scuttles from their hulls. And, IIRC, both ships enjoyed a reputation (deserved or not; I have no supporting documentation either way) for being unhealthy vessels because of that.

Yeah, they was't good in that therms. ;) Their engineers was so worried about the effect, that HE shells may have on their unarmored parts, that they simply armored ALL battleship's hull instead. However, it was not a good idea, as it turned out that their impressive armour area was too thin to stop the heavy AP shells that became the main instrument of dreadnought's long-range warfare.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by pokermind   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Fixing previous post:

pokermind wrote:More design, first the Big Guns note six foot tall man:

You have to design what goes in Barbette or sponson before you can design them, You've seen the Barbettes now a Sponson:

15 feet is the minimum diameter to fit the 8"/40s

Under the 1.5 deck sponson Dilandu how about water tanks: to use the space ;)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by pokermind   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:45 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Engine room KH VII four cylinder Uni-flow triple expansion engine, two HP cylinders cranks set ninety degrees allow starts with no dead spots where you would need jacking gear to turn the shaft by hand. exhaust from HP cylinders goes into blue receiver tank to power mid pressure cylinder, exhaust from mid pressure cylinder goes into yellow receiver tank to the Low pressure cylinder. The exhaust goes in green pipe down to the condenser in the bilge green line going up is heading for the vacuum pump. Larger diameter pipe on bottom collects condensate separating from vacuum exhaust steam.

Space above for crane to lift massive cylinder heads. Information on various marine steam engines here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_steam_engine and the uniflow type here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniflow_steam_engine

Animated triple expansion engine from Wikipedia.

Animated uni-flow steam engine from Wikipedia.

Poker
Last edited by pokermind on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:46 am

Dilandu
Admiral

No way! The engine MUST be inside the citadel, or for what reason you have a armored belt at all?

No one real ironclad or battleships ever have engines in the rear! One good shot, and all the engine would be out! And they are heavy, real heavy.

The engine must be in the citadel.

P.S. And if i remember correctly, the RFC stated that the berbettes go through the hull down to the armoured deck.

Post by pokermind   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:13 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

You are going to run the shafts through the rear magazine? Yah smoke a bearing in there and a big boom! drop a shell on the rotating shaft for even more excitement! Most of the engine is below the water line add a little armor if you are paranoid.

Poker

Dilandu wrote:No way! The engine MUST be inside the citadel, or for what reason you have a armored belt at all?

No one real ironclad or battleships ever have engines in the rear! One good shot, and all the engine would be out! And they are heavy, real heavy.

The engine must be in the citadel.

P.S. And if i remember correctly, the RFC stated that the berbettes go through the hull down to the armoured deck.

Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:19 am

Dilandu
Admiral

pokermind wrote:You are going to run the shafts through the rear magazine? Yah smoke a bearing in there and a big boom! drop a shell on the rotating shaft for even more excitement! Most of the engine is below the water line add a little armor if you are paranoid.

Poker

Sigh.

The ship has two screws and two shafts.

They are nowhere near the rear magasine.

For good example:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... s_1897.jpg

https://lib.rus.ec/i/50/501450/pic_36.jpg

https://lib.rus.ec/i/42/238942/pic_22.jpg

Please, show me ANY battleships with such ridiculous engine emplacement. I couldn't recall any.

Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:24 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Most of the engine is below the water line add a little armor if you are paranoid.

I'm not paranoid, i'm rational. Ypu put the great weight on the ship rear for nothing. The keel will feel meaningless stress. The machinery would be cramped extremely. You would be forced to build a pretty long steam pipes and to transport the coal for more than a half of ship lenght.

And adding armour - for what reason? We have a lot of space incide the citadel for that!

This is not good. Not good at all, believe me.

Post by Joat42   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
Most of the engine is below the water line add a little armor if you are paranoid.

I'm not paranoid, I'm rational. You put the great weight on the ship rear for nothing. The keel will feel meaningless stress. The machinery would be cramped extremely. You would be forced to build a pretty long steam pipes and to transport the coal for more than a half of ship length.

And adding armor - for what reason? We have a lot of space inside the citadel for that!

This is not good. Not good at all, believe me.

To expand on Dilandu's answer, generally speaking most larger ships has their engines mounted in the middle of the ship to avoid unnecessary longitudinal stress bending because of uneven weight loading. Big cargo haulers have their engines further back but that is compensated by the cargo they are carrying. Loading a cargo-ship takes a lot of planning and calculations as to spread the weight correctly and making sure the ship doesn't become top-heavy.

Long shafts is nothing unusual at all in ships, which is why the shafts are manufactured to exacting standards to avoid vibrations and excessive wear on the bearings.

This is also a reason why azi-pods have become more popular with new ships, since you can essentially have the engine room anywhere by optimizing the weight distribution and lessen stresses on the hull. Of course, when a ship passes a certain size it's back to the old direct coupled drive shaft because azi-pods doesn't (yet) have enough brute strength (economically speaking) to propel a larger ship effectively.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Silverwall   » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:Image

Engine room KH VII four cylinder Uni-flow triple expansion engine, two HP cylinders cranks set ninety degrees allow starts with no dead spots where you would need jacking gear to turn the shaft by hand. exhaust from HP cylinders goes into blue receiver tank to power mid pressure cylinder, exhaust from mid pressure cylinder goes into yellow receiver tank to the Low pressure cylinder. The exhaust goes in green pipe down to the condenser in the bilge green line going up is heading for the vacuum pump. Larger diameter pipe on bottom collects condensate separating from vacuum exhaust steam.

Space above for crane to lift massive cylinder heads. Information on various marine steam engines here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_steam_engine and the uniflow type here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniflow_steam_engine

Poker

Along with being in the wrong place in terms of armour the machinery (engines) needs to be as close as practical to the steam generating boilers. You DO NOT want to be piping live steam over a long part of the ship. Basically machinery spaces will be either in front of or behind the funnels as those will almost always go straight up, Extensive trunking of funnels is extra weight and is really only practical for Oil instalations which don't produce the smoke volume of coal boilers. Also depending on your boiler design the natural draft generated by the funnel design is badly affected by trunking and needs pumped air circulation to compensate.

Common configurations in large ships like this was to alternate boilers and machinery spaces.

Return to Safehold