Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

"King Haarahld VI"-class, paint art

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: "King Haarahld VI"-class, paint art
Post by Henry Brown   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Dilandu wrote:Exactly. Please, forgive me if I could not explain it clearly enough.

Nothing to be forgiven for. I understood what you meant. However I have noticed in your previous posts that you seem to be very fond of the French navy. Am I correct in guessing that French is your 1st language and English is your 2nd?
Post by pokermind   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

You guys might want to visit Dilandu's Deviant art page, I especially liked his walking robot battleships, very steam punkish:

http://dilandu.deviantart.com/

Poker :D
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:02 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:
Dilandu wrote:Exactly. Please, forgive me if I could not explain it clearly enough.

Nothing to be forgiven for. I understood what you meant. However I have noticed in your previous posts that you seem to be very fond of the French navy. Am I correct in guessing that French is your 1st language and English is your 2nd?

Mo, my first is Russian. ;) I simply think the French navy was technologically and tactically superior (even despite the Jeune Ecole) to the RN in the best part of XIX century.

In 1870- early 1880, the french navy build very similar on tactical characteristics ironclads. "Richelieu", "Ocean", "Marengo", "Suffren", "Friedland", "Colbert", "Trident" and "Redoutable" with the ten of "Provence"-class formed two very uniformed (despite the ships weren't actually identical) squadrons, that could literally tera apart the Royal Navy's mish-mash of individual ironclads and small, very different series.

And in 1880th? Yes, the "Jeune Ecole" done a "very good" job against the french navy (and the political struggle and incompetence done at least twice as many harm), but "Hoshe" and "Marseau"-classes were clearly superior to their RN contemporaries (by the time of laid up, of course) as "Colossus" and "Ajax" classes.

And even in 1890th, the french naval engineers were clearly more competent that british in therms of artillery (the "Majestic"'s 305-mm/35 guns, in comparsion with french 305-mm/40-45-50 was... pitful), armor scheme, and even tactics.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:06 am

Dilandu
Admiral

pokermind wrote:You guys might want to visit Dilandu's Deviant art page, I especially liked his walking robot battleships, very steam punkish:

It was a walking gunboat! :) And thanks! :D

Post by AirTech   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:02 am

AirTech
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:
pokermind wrote:You guys might want to visit Dilandu's Deviant art page, I especially liked his walking robot battleships, very steam punkish:

It was a walking gunboat! :) And thanks! :D

But if you were building it six legs are better than two (six legs doesn't require active stabilization - you can move three legs at a time whilst maintaining tripod stability). In short for a classic steam punk system six legs works better (unless you are working for Studio Ghibli)- but caterpillar tracks are better still on all but the roughest terrain.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:06 am

Dilandu
Admiral

AirTech wrote:
But if you were building it six legs are better than two (six legs doesn't require active stabilization - you can move three legs at a time whilst maintaining tripod stability). In short for a classic steam punk system six legs works better (unless you are working for Studio Ghibli)- but caterpillar tracks are better still on all but the roughest terrain.

Newsflash: it's STEAMPUNK. ;) The steampunk-style didn't need to be completely logical, it's just need to look cool.

Post by Boronian   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Mine is not leaving but haunting me sometimes :-)

John Prigent wrote:Because my Latin was learnt many decades ago and I've forgotten most it!
Cheers
John
PS: Churchill was correct - why would anyone want to say 'Oh table'?

Post by pokermind   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:34 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

King Harold VII Main guns and Barbette view level and at forty five degree elevation.

Poker

Post by Dilandu   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:44 am

Dilandu
Admiral

pokermind wrote:
King Harold VII Main guns and Barbette view level and at forty five degree elevation.

Poker

Er... the barbette look a little too big for this small guns. Why don't put the reloading system on the other side of the central axis?

Post by pokermind   » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:25 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Ten inch naval guns are not small the biggest made were eighteen inches. Heavy things too. The space forward will have the optical range finder tale for calculations, yada, yada. Thus the staked tail carriage rotating around the ammunition elevator, added some drawings and refined it a bit:

My attempt at the King Harold got to add the 8"/40s yet but have the 4"/45s and 10"/40s 3 stacks, basket mast with nice gazebo for the look outs and the black flag with gold Kraken :)

Don't like stacks placement may have to change, or a good place for marine boats add a couple of cranes, hmm?

Poker

Added King Harold VII illustration.
2nd edit cut flag on first try @#$%^&! it!

Return to Safehold