Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #7

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #7
Post by tootall   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:07 pm

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

Runsforcelery Wrote:

Do we know how it happened, My Lord? I mean, they had over two hundred thousand men...
The dispatches are less than detailed,... (Charis) got an entirely separate force down through eastern Cliff Peak past the Desnarian cavalry at Cheyvair. One big enough to block the high road through the Kyplyngyr Forest. According to the message I’ve seen, Ahlverez did his damnedest to fight his way through them.
I think we can all agree Sir Rainos was overconfident before he set out for Alyksberg, but I’ve read some of the dispatches he sent home to Duke Fern and Duke Salthar.... he did his damnedest to prevent most of Duke Harless’ . . . questionable decisions, shall we say.”
What’s happened to his army’s far too serious, and not just because of the human cost. He had over half the Army’s total field strength under his command.
That’s probably entirely gone, for all practical purposes. Even if we get some of the regiments back, they’ll have to be completely brought back up to strength, reorganized, and — undoubtedly — reequipped before they can possibly be effective fighting units again. And where do you think they’re going to look for the manpower — and the weapons — for that?”

My point in reprinting The Man's words is that Dohlar, at least, knows the story as we (readers) know it.
How about the view from Desnair and from The Temple?
I would be surprised if Maigwair has the same info Dohlar has...
Duke Harless would not have "given himself up" in his own summaries. Nor would he have allowed Ahlverez to send in critical reports. Consider the chaos if Maigwair or Clyntahn were to get conflicting official reports in the midst of a campaign.
Perhaps Dohlar has managed to get some word to the Temple of the "true" situation.
My theory is that the Temple doesn't really know what happened nor who may have been at fault. The "official" documents (with contributions from Harless's senior aid-Sir Graim Kyr) would support Harless, Hankey, and Hennett, and marginalize- minimize- Dohlor's contributions.
So not only is Sir Ahlverez not home yet- he isn't out of the woods either.

It's all very interesting.
Post by iranuke   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:14 pm

iranuke
Commander

BarryKirk wrote:I am waiting anxiously for Clytahns next temper tantrum or even better a full meeting of the Go4

I'm getting kink of tired of Clyhahns temper tantrums, I think a GO4 meeting would be much more interesting.
Post by SCC   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:28 pm

SCC
Commander

jgnfld wrote:
shayvaan wrote:Thanks for the snippet RFC!

Almost 700 miles in a 16 foot sailing dinghy :shock:

If Clyntahn does not have him executed as a Charisian spy, then that army Lt., should be given Thorast's job :lol:

A 6.5 meter boat did quite well finishing first on handicap and sixth overall against many much larger boats this year in the recent Halifax --> St. Pierre race. Definitely small for open ocean, though the boat is designed for such things.

Well by my calculations this one was 5.4 meters. And it was a dinghy, which a quick look up means it's along the lines of a ships boat. Oh, and there is the possibility that it was a rubber boat
Post by n7axw   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:56 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

My dad had a rather poetic expression for the jam the Dohlarian decision makers find themselves in. It's being between the devil and the deep blue sea. If they raid the navy to come up with personnel to bring the army up to strength, Sharpfield comes sailing over the horizon. If they leave the navy alone or strengthen it, Sharpfield comes over the horizon anyway along with Eastshare coming down the highway. They don't have the resourses to meet either threat even if they could do so one at a time when it appears that the two threats will probably converge together.
<miniature victory dance> I guessed that the military pressure on the Dohlarians would be next in the que.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

My heart BLEEDS for Thrisk and Dohlar.

No... wait... nope. I got nothing, as far as I'm concerned the bastard and his friends are getting their just desserts. I know we are supposed to find him a sympathetic character and all that, but the thought of the King Haraalds sailing over the horizon and sinking his navy, and burning the city of Gorath to the ground just makes me smile. Awwww the Inquisition is pissed at him? Well his masters sent far better men then him to their tender clutches already.

I just hope we can see a chapter of the Dohlarans realizing all their sins are coming back to haunt them. That the inconvenient little kingdom they set out to murder all those years ago, and the Republic whose back they tried and failed to stick a knife into (and HOW) has the boot firmly on the other foot.
Post by BarryKirk   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:28 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

AncientMariner wrote:I think most of us like Thirsk. He is a man of honour and duty. There's been speculation in past threads that he might defect if he can save his family doing it. I however don't see that happening. He is too loyal to Dohlar, even if he disagrees with the kingdom's decisions.

Thirsk reminds me of Warner Caslet.
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

That last sentence where Thirsk is thinking "there are only two of them. So far at least" makes me wonder if he is considering moving against Claw Island and the Charis fleet around it. He knows the ICN only has 2 armored ships in the region. He also knows that they are sailing ships. So even if the hulls are protected, the masts and rigging are still vulnerable.

I'm not saying that Thirsk is *eager* to fight armored ships with wooden ships. But if he is concerned about the possibility of the ICN receiving additional reinforcements, he might decide to try to force a battle now, before the odds get any worse. It could actually be an interesting battle if he could force an engagement before the KH VIIs arrive.
Post by jmseeley   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:42 pm

jmseeley
Lieutenant Commander

n7axw wrote:My dad had a rather poetic expression for the jam the Dohlarian decision makers find themselves in. It's being between the devil and the deep blue sea. If they raid the navy to come up with personnel to bring the army up to strength, Sharpfield comes sailing over the horizon. If they leave the navy alone or strengthen it, Sharpfield comes over the horizon anyway along with Eastshare coming down the highway. They don't have the resourses to meet either threat even if they could do so one at a time when it appears that the two threats will probably converge together.

Don

This may be the point where what's best for Dohlar diverges from what's best for the jihad. If they put all their resources into protecting their frontier then they effectively give up the Western Gulf to the ICN. That means that the flow of weapons from South Harchong (the most productive part of the empire) is choked off. If Dohlar moves to keep the Gulf open, then they don't have enough strength to properly defend their border. Just doing one of those things is pretty marginal (at best), trying to do both is asking for disaster.

My guess is that if he has to choose, Clyntahn will want to keep the supplies flowing from South Harchong to outfit his new army. Dohlar and Desnair armies both failed him, so their main usefulness now is buying time and soaking up Alliance ammunition.

If I'm right, look for the Inquisition to take direct control of Thirsks family to ensure his compliance. OTOH, if Thirsk can secure his family then I think he'll want to use the fleet to protect Dohlars coast.

jms
Post by Dahak   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Dahak
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:“Do we know how it happened, My Lord?” Stywyrt Baiket, Chihro’s CO and Thirsk’s flag captain, asked quietly. “I mean, they had over two hundred thousand men and Eastshare had less than twenty thousand!”

Thanks for the snippet!
Post by BobG   » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:52 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

AncientMariner wrote:
I think most of us like Thirsk. He is a man of honour and duty. There's been speculation in past threads that he might defect if he can save his family doing it. I however don't see that happening. He is too loyal to Dohlar, even if he disagrees with the kingdom's decisions.

BarryKirk replied
Thirsk reminds me of Warner Caslet.

I can agree with that.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.

Return to Safehold