Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #6 (oopsie!)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #6 (oopsie!)
Post by Panaka   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Panaka
Midshipman

de-lurks

At this point I'd be inclined to have Merlin bundle her up in the skimmer, with a promise of the whole truth, and head for the cave.
Mean while Caleb can cover for them with a story about an contact or agent that they have to meet.

She knows a lot and already accepts that there is a "before the day of creation" time period. She's in a better position to accept the full truth then anybody else on the inner circle.
On the other hand, she is dangerous. I'd also put her under 24/7 SNARC observation and have one of those assassination bugs taking up permanent residence in her ear canal.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:23 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

We learned at least two thngs from this snippet. First that she is the Mother Superior. I can't say that I guessed that, but I did figure she was pretty high up, given her freedom to quickly make needed decisions when the proper circumstances demanded.

Secondly we learned how she is financed. While I don't find myself surprised, I can't say I figured it out in advance. I did speculate that her obvious skill at cloak and dagger implied training by an organization with long established institutional knowledge. That proved out and what we learned today about her financial backing follows pretty naturally.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by XofDallas   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:25 pm

XofDallas
Commander

Potato wrote:
My personal belief is that SSK has extensive ties to Siddarmark through their financial dealings over the centuries, and that Nynian came to Siddarmark for a number of good reasons, including the desire to check Merlin and Cayleb out personally, before approaching them.

She did not come to Siddarmark to meet Cayleb and Merlin. She was in place long before it was necessary for Charis to even send them. She was instrumental in blunting the Sword of Schueler, and had been in Siddar City for months prior to the attack. If anything, Cayleb and Merlin (unintentionally) went to her, not the other way around.

Sorry, I said she came for a number of reasons, including (but definitely not limited to) observing Cayleb and Merlin. For a person of her intellect, it would be likely to the point of certainty that one or both of them would show up there.
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #5
Post by hvb   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:28 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

summercat wrote:Who had the "Nynian is the person in charge of the Sisterhood", because you earned an otter gif.

Not It! :P
My WAG last snippet was that she was the Abbesses XO, the "Spy-Mother Superior", which was why she was allowed to run around risking herself in these various high risk/high gain ventures (I mentioned the 'Exodus from Zion', the 'Siddermark Insubordination', and her current 'Unveiling to Merlin').

In fact this bit almost reads like a direct reply to my post. :lol:

HFQ #5 wrote:“I’m afraid you don’t quite have it straight yet,” she told him. “The Sisters don’t have a Mother Abbess anymore. We have a Mother Superior. She’s the one who determines what the Sisters as a whole do in the world, and, no, she doesn’t object to my ‘more secular activities,’ as you put it. That would be rather difficult for her to do, actually . . . since for the last twenty years or so, I’ve been the Mother Superior.”

And shouldn't we all be ending posts in these threads with:
I for one think we should. :mrgreen:
Post by dwileye13   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:40 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

I didn't identify her as the Mother Superior buy I did identify the Convent - As Madam you could extend that role to Mother Superior :mrgreen:

[quote=dwileye13]One of the reasons I believe Khody was a Marine is that the only Convent of the Sisters of Saint Khody we know about was a Bordello in Zion! :lol: :lol: :lol:{/quote}
I am not young enough to know everything!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #5
Post by summercat   » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 pm

summercat
Ensign

Nick wrote:
summercat wrote:Who had the "Nynian is the person in charge of the Sisterhood", because you earned an otter gif.

I for one wasn't surprised at all to find this out. Sure, it's one of the only things in the series I've predicted and gotten right, but I'll take what victories I can. 8-)

Thanks for the snippet RFC! Looking forward to more, as always.

Let me go get your otter gif for you

Cause it looks like your guess

was a slam dunk.
Post by SYED   » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:45 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

I wonder if they use the folk hero staus of khody to hide their actions, like store info and codes, in children book tales of him. Set up permanent bases and drop points, at his staues, or places named after him, like a bar.

Look at what the madam o zion could do just by her self, imagine what she could do with merlin's help. Wanna bet seijin Khody returns for his revenge. How can the church claim demons, if they use his amed sword.
Post by tootall   » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:41 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

SYED wrote

Wanna bet seijin Khody returns for his revenge.

Beautiful!! Nimue perhaps??
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:19 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

On the second part of the Snippet, is the heading right? Are Dohlaran naval ships also identified as HMS whatever? And should it be Chihro rather than Chihiro. (Free copy-editing service offered ;) )

I suspect the news is the bad news about the army, or maybe even more bad news about the army we Loyal Readers haven't seen yet. I don't think they would be worried about preventing the population knowing about another raid on Claw Island; the Charisians have been there before and been chucked off before so it's old news. The Army disaster now, or the defeat of Ahlverez' remnant or the loss of Evyrtyn and the canal-head are just the kind of things the silly bishop would think he should hide.
Post by Lazalarlives   » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:40 am

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:On the second part of the Snippet, is the heading right? Are Dohlaran naval ships also identified as HMS whatever? -Snip-.

I'd figure they'd still be 'His Majesty's Ship'; it's probably the same for most nations. The only different ones were the NOG ships. They're part of the Royal Dohlaran navy.

As to the other part, I'm guessing it has to do with news about the destruction of 2/3rds of the Army Dohlar sent against Siddarmark. Lots of fathers, sons, and husbands not coming back, much less carrying the loot from the richest nation outside the Temple Lands on the mainland. This also means no territorial expansion, no new fiefs for second/third/fourth noble sons, and pretty much an entire year's GDP lost in the process.

It may be enough to shake the situation up in Dohlar - and depending on how badly the King takes it, it could end up costing previously 'untouchable' nobles more than they ever thought it could. Consider Thirsk's musings on the corruption in the acquisitions process. Who, in the end, becomes this scapegoat? And does the field commander have enough political capital remaining to shift the blame to the REMF's in the capital who assured the King that what he sent was more than enough, despite Thirsk's (!) limited input.

Anyhow, just my two bits.
Dave

Return to Safehold