Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 87 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #5

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #5
Post by Boronian   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:43 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

thanatos wrote:If we are to take the name "Dawn Star" a bit literally for the sake of your average Safeholdian, it would mean a star that appears at dawn, much like Venus does here on Earth. Yet there's one other thing that can also been seen in heavens at night that would appear to the ignorant as a star - Satellites and spacecrafts. That means that whatever these "servitors" are (my money is on fully armed assault shuttles and logistical and technical support remotes - or possibly SNARCs), they are now on the OBS platforms or on it's defensive installations.

I'll grant you that my conclusion regarding Schueller killing Kohdy was a bit hasty yet it would stand to reason. In BSRA, Staynair tells Merlin, about the reasons why the Brethren of Saint Zherneau continued to hide the truth, that "Perhaps the Inquisition might have settled for simply exterminating those who brought the disturbing message, but I think not. I think too much of Langhorne's and Schueler's intolerance and... thoroughness clings to the Inquisition even today." This indicates that Schueller's legacy is the appearance of utter intolerance towards any message that disturbed his plans.

But if the name Dawn Star comes from being able to see it on the planet Shan-Wei and her people should have seen it too and be forewarned that there is a new "star". Thus IMO it isn't the OBS.
I thought servitors just meant Sejins but it seems strange to use that certain expression in this context...armed assault shuttles could be a good possibility.

Schueler is the main suspect in killing Kohdy for sure but there could be other possibilities and I only wanted to point that out. The SSK don't even know for sure that Kohdy went to Schueler, maybe something completely different happened. For that I think we need the Spanish parts of the diary.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:50 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

According to Word Of Weber, the Alexandria Enclave was destroyed by a OBS built inside Hamilcar which was launched (put into orbit) just before it was used by Langhorne.

Boronian wrote:
thanatos wrote:If we are to take the name "Dawn Star" a bit literally for the sake of your average Safeholdian, it would mean a star that appears at dawn, much like Venus does here on Earth. Yet there's one other thing that can also been seen in heavens at night that would appear to the ignorant as a star - Satellites and spacecrafts. That means that whatever these "servitors" are (my money is on fully armed assault shuttles and logistical and technical support remotes - or possibly SNARCs), they are now on the OBS platforms or on it's defensive installations.

I'll grant you that my conclusion regarding Schueller killing Kohdy was a bit hasty yet it would stand to reason. In BSRA, Staynair tells Merlin, about the reasons why the Brethren of Saint Zherneau continued to hide the truth, that "Perhaps the Inquisition might have settled for simply exterminating those who brought the disturbing message, but I think not. I think too much of Langhorne's and Schueler's intolerance and... thoroughness clings to the Inquisition even today." This indicates that Schueller's legacy is the appearance of utter intolerance towards any message that disturbed his plans.

But if the name Dawn Star comes from being able to see it on the planet Shan-Wei and her people should have seen it too and be forewarned. Thus IMO it isn't the OBS.
I thought servitors just meant Sejins but it seems strange to use that certain expression in this context...armed assault shuttles could be a good possibility.

Schueler is the main suspect in killing Kohdy for sure but there could be other possibilities and I only wanted to point that out. The SSK don't even know for sure that Kohdy went to Schueler, maybe something completely different happened. For that I think we need the Spanish parts of the diary.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

This was in the period immediately after the Fallen’s final defeat, you understand, after Schueler and Cihiro had departed in victory

End Quote

Interesting phrase, does "departing in victory" means that Schueler & Cihiro had died or does it mean that they left Safehold in the Hamilcar? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Boronian   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:02 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

DrakBibliophile wrote:According to Word Of Weber, the Alexandria Enclave was destroyed by a OBS built inside Hamilcar which was launched (put into orbit) just before it was used by Langhorne.

Well that explains the surprise effect. If the OBS can be seen every day will there be stories about it in the writ or someplace else to explain it sudden appearance to the Safeholdians? I can't remember anything.

Could Dawn Star be Hamilcar?
Post by Starsaber   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:05 am

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

Joat42 wrote:
evilauthor wrote:I was under the impression that the Safehold Colonization effort consisted of more than one ship. After all, while Shan Wei was busy terraforming Safehold, Langhorne and the sleeping Adams and Eves were hiding off in hyperspace somewhere.

So I think Dawn Star might very well be a starship that was secretly kept around and not dropped into the sun with the rest of the fleet.

If I remember correctly there where 46 ships that transported the colonists, there is no mention of any military or auxiliary ships though.

But I thought that by the time of the war, all but the Hamilcar had been dropped into the sun.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:14 am

Joat42
Admiral

Starsaber wrote:
Joat42 wrote:If I remember correctly there where 46 ships that transported the colonists, there is no mention of any military or auxiliary ships though.

But I thought that by the time of the war, all but the Hamilcar had been dropped into the sun.

Yes, most likely but we will not know for sure until all is revealed in the book(s).

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by dwileye13   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:20 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:Quote

This was in the period immediately after the Fallen’s final defeat, you understand, after Schueler and Cihiro had departed in victory

End Quote

Interesting phrase, does "departing in victory" means that Schueler & Cihiro had died or does it mean that they left Safehold in the Hamilcar? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

IMO the millenial return could be the Hamilcar. A relativistic trip to bring the Archangels back alive and with a ship. Uh Oh :o
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by Henry Brown   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:36 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Have we ever learned how long the War of the Fallen lasted? I had the impression that it was a rather brief war. Furthermore, I always thought the "Archangels" had provided their followers with high tech weapons. Yet from this snippet, it seems Seijin Kohdy fought with a sword in the War of the Fallen and I get the impression that it might have lasted longer than I originally thought.
Post by Ramhawkfan   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:38 am

Ramhawkfan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Henry Brown wrote:Have we ever learned how long the War of the Fallen lasted? I had the impression that it was a rather brief war. Furthermore, I always thought the "Archangels" had provided their followers with high tech weapons. Yet from this snippet, it seems Seijin Kohdy fought with a sword in the War of the Fallen and I get the impression that it might have lasted longer than I originally thought.

I think it was around 70 years,, could be faulty memory though.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:54 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

So we have several things going on here. We have a seijin who comes to question orthodoxy to the extent of doubting that the Rakurai strike on Alexandria means that Shan-wei is a fallen angel. He goes to Zion and dies there with the strong implication that he was murdered. We discover seijins on both sides of the War against the Fallen. The Order founded to care for the tomb and protect Khody's memory is murdered in their abby after refusing a decree to disband...except for a small group who is moved along with the tomb and duplicate records to a secret location. Finally you have the sisters as individuals remaining part of the church but as a group separate from it.

In terms of providing food for thought and speculation, I think this is the best snippet yet...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold