Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #5

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #5
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:39 am

Joat42
Admiral

Boronian wrote:..snip..
Another question: What is this fastness? I can't imagine anything and my dictionary doesn't really help me...sorry I'm not a native speaker so I think that's the problem here.

Fastness: A difficult place to reach or an easily defended place.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by thanatos   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:41 am

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Boronian wrote: I wonder what this Dawn Star is.

Finding the fastness could be useful not so much because of technology (I don't expect much if anything worthful to be there) but because it could shed some light on the war. But it could be very difficult to be found.

Another question: What is this fastness? I can't imagine anything and my dictionary doesn't really help me...sorry I'm not a native speaker so I think that's the problem here.

It is a hasty conclusion to already assume Schueler killed Kohdy. Maybe someone intercepted Kohdy, maybe someone heard Schueler and Kohdy talking and assumed Kohdy has to die. There are a lot of possible explanations including Schueler killing Kohdy of course, but for the moment I would be careful with this conclusion.

If we are to take the name "Dawn Star" a bit literally for the sake of your average Safeholdian, it would mean a star that appears at dawn, much like Venus does here on Earth. Yet there's one other thing that can also been seen in heavens at night that would appear to the ignorant as a star - Satellites and spacecrafts. That means that whatever these "servitors" are (my money is on fully armed assault shuttles and logistical and technical support remotes - or possibly SNARCs), they are now on the OBS platforms or on it's defensive installations.

I'll grant you that my conclusion regarding Schueller killing Kohdy was a bit hasty yet it would stand to reason. In BSRA, Staynair tells Merlin, about the reasons why the Brethren of Saint Zherneau continued to hide the truth, that "Perhaps the Inquisition might have settled for simply exterminating those who brought the disturbing message, but I think not. I think too much of Langhorne's and Schueler's intolerance and... thoroughness clings to the Inquisition even today." This indicates that Schueller's legacy is the appearance of utter intolerance towards any message that disturbed his plans.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:42 am

Joat42
Admiral

I just had a thought.

If the remains of Kohdy still exists, do you think it's possible to extract information from his NEAT?

---

Post by Annachie   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:44 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Dawn star made me think of Pern's Dawn Sisters. The three colony ships that settled Pern and were visible i their geo stationary orbit at dawn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by NinaKatarina   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:02 am

NinaKatarina
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I like this snippet, thank you.

My inference from this is that Kohdy was an Adam. I like the Rommel analogy. He fought bravely on Langhorne's side, had a positive personal relationship with the church hierarchy.

He ended up somehow isolated in combat with one of the guys on our side, who won the battle but didn't kill Kohdy. Suspect he was taken prisoner for a time? Anyhow, I'm guessing that the 'demon' was able to partially revive Kohdy's memories. I suspect Kohdy knew Spanish because he was bilingual before he arrived on Safehold. Being able to slip back into Spanish in his private diary was a way of honoring his mother tongue.

Anyhow. There are hints of factionalism and bitter conflict in the time period when the original command crew was dying out. Chihiro (or someone) rewrote the Book of Schuler. The last of the Archangels were more cruel than their original leaders. Kohdy's story suggests to me that he went to confront Langhorne when Langhorne was still alive, and Langhorne was honorable enough (or sentimental enough) to return his body to the family and treat him as an honored foe. But later on, others worked to subvert Kohdy's memory, and when all but Chihiro were dead the last of the Archangels lashed out in senile fury.

Yeah, it hangs together.

The one thing I'm still pondering is Kohdy's original name. I've always assumed his original name was Cody, but that's not a very Hispanic name. Of course, by the time of the Gbaba name ethnicity could have altered and shifted a lot, and plenty of non-Hispanic people speak very good Spanish.

That's fun, piecing together a story out of hints in legends. Thanks for giving us the chance. I'm probably way off base, it will be fun to find out more.
Post by Duckk   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:21 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Kohdy's story suggests to me that he went to confront Langhorne when Langhorne was still alive, and Langhorne was honorable enough (or sentimental enough) to return his body to the family and treat him as an honored foe. But later on, others worked to subvert Kohdy's memory, and when all but Chihiro were dead the last of the Archangels lashed out in senile fury.

He went to Schueler. Langhorne was dead by the time Kohdy went to take his questions to the Archangels.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by pokermind   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:30 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Could TFNS Hamilcar be the "Dawn Star" refuge of the surviving Langhorne faction of angels?

No Langhorne who died at the start of the War of the Fallen. Kohdy
... he’d decided to take his questions directly to the Archangel Schueler, the Archangel he most trusted to answer him fully.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Boronian   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Joat42 wrote:Fastness: A difficult place to reach or an easily defended place.

Thanks, Joat42!
Now things are much clearer to me :-)
Post by evilauthor   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

pokermind wrote:Could TFNS Hamilcar be the "Dawn Star" refuge of the surviving Langhorne faction of angels?

I was under the impression that the Safehold Colonization effort consisted of more than one ship. After all, while Shan Wei was busy terraforming Safehold, Langhorne and the sleeping Adams and Eves were hiding off in hyperspace somewhere.

So I think Dawn Star might very well be a starship that was secretly kept around and not dropped into the sun with the rest of the fleet.

No Langhorne who died at the start of the War of the Fallen. Kohdy
... he’d decided to take his questions directly to the Archangel Schueler, the Archangel he most trusted to answer him fully.

Poker

While he took his doubts to Schueler, it may not necessarily have been who murdered him. There's every possibility some other Angel caught wind of his doubts. Remember the rumor that the "Angels" could eavesdrop on anything going on in the Temple?
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:38 am

Joat42
Admiral

evilauthor wrote:I was under the impression that the Safehold Colonization effort consisted of more than one ship. After all, while Shan Wei was busy terraforming Safehold, Langhorne and the sleeping Adams and Eves were hiding off in hyperspace somewhere.

So I think Dawn Star might very well be a starship that was secretly kept around and not dropped into the sun with the rest of the fleet.

If I remember correctly there where 46 ships that transported the colonists, there is no mention of any military or auxiliary ships though.

---

Return to Safehold