Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 86 guests

Sejins (SPOILER)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Sejins (SPOILER)
Post by dwileye13   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:02 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

Sejin Khody (Spoiler)

Several interesting things;
Khody was disenchanted to some degree with the victory in the War against the Fallen. Like the other Sejins he battled for the Church but was separate from the others by his attitude and approach to life.
He probably wasn’t command crew or a Sgt. Major. I would expect he was a Marine with Prolong before the Safehold move, military not political. The fact that he had the Spanish Language as a resource leads me to that conclusion. He had a weapon made by a Fabricator and was less than an Angel but more than an Adam. SEJIN – It seems he was feared and respected to the point that ONLY after his death and the death of those who might have known him or his exploits was he expunged from the records.
It appears, as well, that he expected someone to have the ability to translate what he was writing in his Journals for the benefit of Posterity at a much later date. That was his ‘time capsule’ for the Sisters of Saint Khody. But how would he expect someone to translate his message unless he expected someone to come along at a later date?

I have three burning Questions:
1.) Who was he really?
2.) Why was he expunged and by what motivation?
3.) What did he say in Spanish that wasn’t for that Present Day?

Thanks to RFC for the snippets, for your writing, and being the Consummate Serial Tease (CST).

:P My anguish is self-generated. :)
I am not young enough to know everything!
Re: Sejins (SPOILER)
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:20 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IMO Kohdy was writing in Spanish to hide his thoughts from the Command Crew but did not expect anybody in the future to be able to translate the Spanish into Safehold English.

It was likely a situation where he felt he had to put his "treasonous" thoughts into writing for his own sanity but didn't want the Command Crew to "hear" about his treasonous thoughts.

If he had written his treasonous thoughts in Safehold English, anybody who saw his writings would have reported them.

As it was, nobody could understand it so nobody thought to report it to the Command Crew.

dwileye13 wrote:Sejin Khody (Spoiler)

Khody was disenchanted to some degree with the victory in the War against the Fallen. Like the other Sejins he battled for the Church but was separate from the others by his attitude and approach to life.
He probably wasn’t command crew or a Sgt. Major. I would expect he was a Marine with Prolong before the Safehold move, military not political. The fact that he had the Spanish Language as a resource leads me to that conclusion. He had a weapon made by a Fabricator and was less than an Angel but more than an Adam. SEJIN – It seems he was feared and respected to the point that ONLY after his death and the death of those who might have known him or his exploits was he expunged from the records.
It appears, as well, that he expected someone to have the ability to translate what he was writing in his Journals for the benefit of Posterity at a much later date. That was his ‘time capsule’ for the Sisters of Saint Khody. But how would he expect someone to translate his message unless he expected someone to come along at a later date?

1.) Who was he really?

Thanks to RFC for the snippets, for your writing, and being the Consummate Serial Tease (CST).

Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by dwileye13   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:IMO Kohdy was writing in Spanish to hide his thoughts from the Command Crew but did not expect anybody in the future to be able to translate the Spanish into Safehold English.

It was likely a situation where he felt he had to put his "treasonous" thoughts into writing for his own sanity but didn't want the Command Crew to "hear" about his treasonous thoughts.

If he had written his treasonous thoughts in Safehold English, anybody who saw his writings would have reported them.

As it was, nobody could understand it so nobody thought to report it to the Command Crew.

That is an interpretation that I find reasonable in some aspects but not in many others. The point we are talking about is after the WAtF and most of the command crew were radioactive dust. We don't have textev as to who was in charge and making the decisions.

Writing for his own benefit or sanity is a stretch when it appears he was writing for others in English. Why leave the writings at all?

Khody seemed rather sane and dedicated to the enjoyment of life. He also seemed to be an individual that by reputation, action and ability was not one to fear retribution in his lifetime. Only some time after death was his history removed from record. It seems to me he was feared by the administation of the Church not the other way around.

RFC will give us more at a later date but I expect Khody wandered widely and was not in the control of the Early Church.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IMO the evidence shows that after Langhorne's death, he was part of the faction of Chihiro and Schueler (which apparently won the Archangel's War).

Remember Aivah suspected that he wrote in Spanish thoughts that might have harmed the cause of Chihiro and Schueler which points to the idea that he was of their faction.

Admittedly, my thoughts that he was hiding "treasonous" thoughts is just speculation but the fact that he was "erased" from history makes me wonder if Chihiro or Schueler discovered that he wasn't really loyal to them or Langhorne's plans.

dwileye13 wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:IMO Kohdy was writing in Spanish to hide his thoughts from the Command Crew but did not expect anybody in the future to be able to translate the Spanish into Safehold English.

That is an interpretation that I find reasonable in some aspects but not in many others. The point we are talking about is after the WAtF and most of the command crew were radioactive dust. We don't have textev as to who was in charge and making the decisions.

Writing for his own benefit or sanity is a stretch when it appears he was writing for others in English. Why leave the writings at all?

Khody seemed rather sane and dedicated to the enjoyment of life. He also seemed to be an individual that by reputation, action and ability was not one to fear retribution in his lifetime. Only some time after death was his history removed from record. It seems to me he was feared by the administation of the Church not the other way around.

RFC will give us more at a later date but I expect Khody wandered widely and was not in the control of the Early Church.
Post by dwileye13   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:22 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:IMO the evidence shows that after Langhorne's death, he was part of the faction of Chihiro and Schueler (which apparently won the Archangel's War).

Remember Aivah suspected that he wrote in Spanish thoughts that might have harmed the cause of Chihiro and Schueler which points to the idea that he was of their faction.

Admittedly, my thoughts that he was hiding "treasonous" thoughts is just speculation but the fact that he was "erased" from history makes me wonder if Chihiro or Schueler discovered that he wasn't really loyal to them or Langhorne's plans.

Good Point - treasonous is a matter of interpretaion as we know. My thought that he as a loyal Marine but aware that the 'bosses' were straying from the objective is valid. He wasn't working actively against the leadership but he had lost faith in where everything was going and did what a beached Marine would do . . . wandered off to have a drink. Again rampant speculation :mrgreen:
Post by pokermind   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:30 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Hmm, If he was military and thus under Commodore TFN Kau-Yung Pei military commander of Operation Ark even if he sided with the Langhorne faction, probably to survive the war of the fallen by being on the winning side, he would be under suspicion by the others. While he might not know the location of Nimue's cave, he may well have known she would awake, and he could code messages to her in Spanish. Perhaps information on what's in the basement, or perhaps how to attack the OBS. Nimue's first language was Spanish coming from South America IIRC.

Poker

1.) Who was he really?

CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Ahem.. Drak, why on earth wouldn't the command crew be able to read Spanish?! It's not like they have access to computers and AI's that can translate it for them... :roll:

He was writing on paper, no electronic record. Also, as you say, Spanish makes it impossible for any of the colonists to read those passages if the journal ended up in the wrong hands down the line.

The motives for writing in Spanish could have been so simple that he hoped someone would be able to read it in the future. He probably knew about what would happen in 900 years with the awakening or whatever.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by dwileye13   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:58 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

One of the reasons I believe Khody was a Marine is that the only Convent of the Sisters of Saint Khody we know about was a Bordello in Zion! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I wasn't clear.

Yes, if any of the Command Crew got their hands on his diary, he'd be in trouble.

However, if he wrote in Safehold English, anybody that got his hands on his diary would know about his treasonous thoughts.

IMO we need more info before we can assume that he was writing in Spanish in hopes that some future reader would know Spanish.

Joat42 wrote:

Ahem.. Drak, why on earth wouldn't the command crew be able to read Spanish?! It's not like they have access to computers and AI's that can translate it for them... :roll:

He was writing on paper, no electronic record. Also, as you say, Spanish makes it impossible for any of the colonists to read those passages if the journal ended up in the wrong hands down the line.

The motives for writing in Spanish could have been so simple that he hoped someone would be able to read it in the future. He probably knew about what would happen in 900 years with the awakening or whatever.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:47 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Text evidence for Nimue's first language being Spanish?

There's some evidence that she knows Welsh but I don't remember any text evidence for her knowing Spanish.

On the other hand, if he knew about Nimue, then it is very likely that he'd know that Nimue would have the resources to translate any human language used by the Terran Federation.

So if he was aware of Nimue, IMO he'd use Spanish because it was a familiar language for him to know and write in easily.

pokermind wrote:Hmm, If he was military and thus under Commodore TFN Kau-Yung Pei military commander of Operation Ark even if he sided with the Langhorne faction, probably to survive the war of the fallen by being on the winning side, he would be under suspicion by the others. While he might not know the location of Nimue's cave, he may well have known she would awake, and he could code messages to her in Spanish. Perhaps information on what's in the basement, or perhaps how to attack the OBS. Nimue's first language was Spanish coming from South America IIRC.

Poker

1.) Who was he really?

Return to Safehold