Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests

HFQ Offical Snippet #4

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Offical Snippet #4
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Bruno Behrends wrote:The whole thought of what it must have taken Kohdy to set up the sisterhood ...

Sigh...

According to RFC in the first snippet thread, Seijin Kohdy did NOT set up the sisterhood.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by pokermind   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Hmm, Seijin Kohdy was a ladies man and no doubt intrusted his last ladies with his journal and Helm Cleaver. These ladies established the sisters of Saint Khody not Kohdy ;) Likely joining an established order, The Order of the Sisters of Saint Ahnzhelyk, as cover.

While the Spanish portions of the text may tell the truth of Safehold only hints are given in the English text of Kohody's journal, the only language known on Safehold.

Not all the Sisters of Saint Kohdy believe the Safeholdians came from elsewhere, thus the group has a great possibility in splitting between those who can accept the truth, and those who still believe Langhorne's lie.

Well we'll learn more in the next Snippet perhaps.

Snippet four appears the continuation of snippet one.

Poker

Weird Harold wrote:
Bruno Behrends wrote:The whole thought of what it must have taken Kohdy to set up the sisterhood ...

Sigh...

According to RFC in the first snippet thread, Seijin Kohdy did NOT set up the sisterhood.
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by 6L6   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 am

6L6
Commander

Merlin should give her a dictionary and tell her to have at it.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:30 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

6L6 wrote:Merlin should give her a dictionary and tell her to have at it.

Without a grammer book & a good understanding, she would almost certainly end up with the completely wrong ideas.

I found that out the hard way doing latin translations at school - they ended up being almost 100% spurious - and I was really convinced I done a good job too ;)
Last edited by isaac_newton on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by bigrunt   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:31 am

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

Kohdy does not have to be a member of the command crew. If he were a re-educated Adam (via NEAT) he could be under the command crew's radar. He could have been given a few modern "Toys" (battle steel sword, holographic projector, anti-aging drugs etc.) and been a threat to the established order.
Post by Boronian   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:Not all the Sisters of Saint Kohdy believe the Safeholdians came from elsewhere, thus the group has a great possibility in splitting between those who can accept the truth, and those who still believe Langhorne's lie.

Hm and what to do then with Langhorne's believers? Let them live because they kept the secret of the Sisterhood uptil now? Will they keep the truth a secret? A great risk...
Or to kill this part of the Sisterhood? Very messy and possibly alienating the rest of the Sisterhood too.

It could be really dangerous to reveal the truth to Aivah (and through her the Sisterhood) because afterwards the inner circle loses the control over access to the truth. I don't think the story goes in this direction but it could.

The question for me is how will Aivah react to the truth?
Will she recognize after learning it that they can't tell the Sisterhood because some of them wouldn't believe and possibly react in a dangerous way?
If she comes to this conclusion and believes herself the truth then she will be able to keep the truth from the Sisterhood or at least parts of them (now it gets complicated in the who knows what regard ;-)).

Is Aivah acting on her own or on behalf of "her" group in the Sisterhood or is her approaching Merlin authorized by the whole Sisterhood? I think she came with some backing so that if she disappears at least someone knows what happened to her.
That means that someone expects some kind of report. They can't just let the truth get out without some preparation.
Post by Boronian   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:34 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

bigrunt wrote:Kohdy does not have to be a member of the command crew. If he were a re-educated Adam (via NEAT) he could be under the command crew's radar. He could have been given a few modern "Toys" (battle steel sword, holographic projector, anti-aging drugs etc.) and been a threat to the established order.

Aivah believes parts of the diary come from a time before the Creation. Assuming she is right this hints at the command crew.
Post by Lazalarlives   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 am

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Don't forget something important - both 'circles' have used a 'magic' sword to carve stuff up to prove veracity. How tempting was it for Merlin to pull out the wakizashi and chop up the fireplace irons?

Now the big question of the moment is what do the Sisters believe 'Espanol' to be - a version of holy 'tongues' granted only to the righteous or the black speech of demons and a corruption of 'god's plan for mankind'.

I actually would have literally rolled on the floor had Merlin replied to her inquiry about 'Espanol' with 'Puedo transducir, senora; me gusta en ayudarse Usted con este problema.' [I am able to translate, madam; it pleases me (I would be happy) to help you (formal) with this problem.]

I wonder if Kohdy was a Navy Chief, possibly the Master at Arms or a Marine Sergeant Major. Definitely enlisted, so he wasn't included in the 'hosts of angels and archangels', but worked in the hands-on, get dirty part of teaching the colonists how to work a forge or something along those lines. Practical experience to aid implanted knowledge, plus a knack for teaching.

That would also explain the women, the stories, and the drinking.

Yep, that's my new theory and I'm sticking with it until it gets proven wrong - Kohdy was this timeline's Harkness.

Just my two cents.
Dave
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

The knowledge of Spanish points to a member of the crew.

A re-educated Adam would not likely be given knowledge of Spanish.

Note, the use of Spanish wasn't likely directed against the other members of the crew as they would have the resources to translate Spanish.

His use of Spanish would be aimed at non-crew who might report his heresy to the command crew.

It was suggested that the role of the seijin was invented for members of the crew who didn't want to be called Angels.

While David Weber has said that many seijins were "mortals" given high-tech tricks, it is possible that Kohdy was one of the crew who didn't want to be called an Angel but at first supported Langhorne thus preferred to be called a seijin.

Of course, David Weber may surprise me. :twisted:

Boronian wrote:
bigrunt wrote:Kohdy does not have to be a member of the command crew. If he were a re-educated Adam (via NEAT) he could be under the command crew's radar. He could have been given a few modern "Toys" (battle steel sword, holographic projector, anti-aging drugs etc.) and been a threat to the established order.

Aivah believes parts of the diary come from a time before the Creation. Assuming she is right this hints at the command crew.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:07 am

Joat42
Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:It was suggested that the role of the seijin was invented for members of the crew who didn't want to be called Angels.

While David Weber has said that many seijins were "mortals" given high-tech tricks, it is possible that Kohdy was one of the crew who didn't want to be called an Angel but at first supported Langhorne thus preferred to be called a seijin.

Of course, David Weber may surprise me. :twisted:

Well, being a Seijin is good if you don't want to overawe the locals being an angel.

My guess is that Kohdy is one of the original crew that decided he wasn't going to play angel with the rest of them and went out among the people getting his hands dirty.

Then they edited him out of the testimonials out of spite. Thinking on how they did that a number on Schueler with the abomination that is the Test, I'm beginning to think that the surviving crew wasn't all that rational in the end. Which also makes me wonder what else they may have done or prepared for.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Safehold