Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests

(SPOILERS) Too worried about waking up Dad?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Too worried about waking up Dad?
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:12 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

abrax894 wrote:Did I at any time say that it wouldn't react? I said it would not react by randomly destroying the most advanced city or nation on the planet. DEFENSIVE action yes, seek and destroy, no.

Okay, the problem here is that no one knows what the bombardment system will do. For that matter, they don't know that it won't put in a wake-up call to Dad (or whatever's under the Temple, assuming something is). In short, there is absolutely no way to be sure it would react defensively by simply shooting down the incoming rocks (or whatever). Federation AIs were fully capable of exercising discretion after analysis of very complex data. If there's a military-grade AI up there, it would definitely recognize what you have suggested as a hostile act. It would then begin tracing back its origins, looking at its sensor data to determine who could have launched it. It will know it damned well wasn't the Gbaba, who wouldn't be bothering with throwing rocks at it, and that means it had to be a human agency. That means there is a hostile human force, a successor to the Alexandria Enclave and Commodore Pei, with access to advanced technology and obviously intend on destroying the OBS and, by implication, Langhorne's master plan.

How is Merlin or anyone else supposed to know what its instructions are in that sort of situation? Remember that when it was put in place it was also equipped with a highly sophisticated and capable defensive capability. Are they supposed to assume that the same paranoid type who gave it defensive weaponry --- which obviously meant that paranoid individual was contemplating the possibility of an attack upon it which might make those defenses necessary --- didn't also give a little thought to response hierarchies if a new human enemy of The Plan emerged to claim Shan-wei's mantle?

There are all sorts of ways the bombardment system might be attacked, assuming Merlin has the resources for them. He does not, BTW, have the resources for most of the suggestions which have been bruited about. Unfortunately, he has no idea how capable the software running the system really is. He knows it's good enough to keep the system up and running, with repairs as needed, for the better part of a thousand years. He knows it was good enough to take out the Alexandria Enclave (presumably under human control), and he will shortly (in HFQ) receive evidence that it could be used for something rather smaller than smashing entire enclaves.

The thing is, waking up a stored electronic "archangel" under the Temple, or crossing the threat perimeter of the OBS, is the sort of mistake he probably gets to make only once. If he and the inner circle make the wrong move one time, it's game over. And if it's game over for Charis --- and if Merlin and Nimue are hunted down and taken out --- then it's game over for humanity the next time they run into the Gbaba.

I think that's what a lot of people are missing here. A lot of readers have pet projects they would like to see Merlin & Co. pursuing, pieces of technology they would like to see used, sneaky ways the system might be evaded or worked around. They are, however, readers, outside the paradigm Merlin faces in the books. He is going to be insanely cautious, and as long as Charis is winning anyway, he is most definitely not going to try to jumpstart or rush the process. There might be only a 2% chance that sending a swarm of rocks at the OBS (which, by the way, would not get through its defenses) assuming he had the capacity to do so (which he doesn't), would cause the OBS or the command station under the Temple or whatever to pull the trigger and reduce Safehold to the Stone Age. Do you really think a rational person would run that 2% risk unless he absolutely had to? There's a reason he wouldn't even allow steam power until he'd set up a test target on an uninhabited island thousands of miles away from any human settlement.

There are things he can do without leaving footprints that would necessarily point to advanced technology, and he's done some of them. He's doing more of them in the more recent books, as well. He is not going to start dipping into his bag of god weapons with gay abandon, however, for reasons which I've laid out repeatedly. You may disagree with his decisions, and that's your prerogative, but that isn't going to change the fundamental logic under which he is proceeding.

There may well come a time when his hand is forced. Until that time arrives, however, he is going to proceed exactly as he has to this point. While he would love to get a look inside the Temple --- assuming that could be done without his own electronic gizzards setting off all sorts of alarms --- he isn't going to poke his nose into it until/unless he has to. Instead, he will continue his plan to so fundamentally change Safehold --- and the Church --- that even if an "archangel" wakes up, the "rot" will have spread so deeply that the archangel in question really would have to blast Safehold into the Stone Age to reset the clock. Indeed, he fully intends to push matters so far that the truth is revealed to all of Safehold before the deadline for the millennial return. In the meantime, he is also perfectly willing to make a suicide run into the Temple with a nuke strapped to his back if that's the only way to prevent it from waking up prematurely. It's not something he wants to do, for all the reasons I've enumerated (repeatedly), but he's willing to do it if he has no other option.

I suspect that the people who think he's being too cautious haven't really fully succeeded in putting themselves in his place.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:06 am

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:..snip..
He knows it was good enough to take out the Alexandria Enclave (presumably under human control), and he will shortly (in HFQ) receive evidence that it could be used for something rather smaller than smashing entire enclaves.
..snip..

That's an interesting tidbit of information. There are 2 scenarios here:
  1. Some documentation/information from for example Nynian reveals this capacity which may have been used during the suppression of Shan Wei et al.
  2. Doing for example recon of an area reveals small craters that only can have come from OBS impacts.

Me, I believe in option #1.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by BobG   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:21 am

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Joat42 wrote:
He knows it was good enough to take out the Alexandria Enclave (presumably under human control), and he will shortly (in HFQ) receive evidence that it could be used for something rather smaller than smashing entire enclaves.
..snip..

That's an interesting tidbit of information. There are 2 scenarios here:
  1. Some documentation/information from for example Nynian reveals this capacity which may have been used during the suppression of Shan Wei et al.
  2. Doing for example recon of an area reveals small craters that only can have come from OBS impacts.

Or option 3, something triggers a smaller response against a technology target.

Or option 4, some action (like Magwear leading an army against the Temple and Clyntyhn) triggers a defensive action by the ORBS.

Of course, if that happens, all bets are definitely off.

-- Bob G

P.S. Could OWL build a defensive system with nuclear warheads to intercept the ORBS rocks above the atmosphere? Say 100km to 200km up?
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 am

Joat42
Admiral

BobG wrote:
Joat42 wrote:That's an interesting tidbit of information. There are 2 scenarios here:

Or option 3, something triggers a smaller response against a technology target.

Or option 4, some action (like Magwear leading an army against the Temple and Clyntyhn) triggers a defensive action by the ORBS.

Of course, if that happens, all bets are definitely off.

-- Bob G

P.S. Could OWL build a defensive system with nuclear warheads to intercept the ORBS rocks above the atmosphere? Say 100km to 200km up?

..snip..

RFC states that it "could be used", not that it will be used. It is a world of difference.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:46 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think that the real best option would be to take someone, Father Paityr comes to mind, give them very thorough training in the operation of computers, and then after planning for as many contingincies as possible, infiltrate the temple and go to the basement.

Face it. Until that computer is accessed, Merlin isn't going to know what he is really up against and for obvious reasons, he can't do it himself.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Ramhawkfan   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:52 am

Ramhawkfan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

n7axw wrote:I think that the real best option would be to take someone, Father Paityr comes to mind, give them very thorough training in the operation of computers, and then after planning for as many contingincies as possible, infiltrate the temple and go to the basement.

Face it. Until that computer is accessed, Merlin isn't going to know what he is really up against and for obvious reasons, he can't do it himself.

Don

An option yes, but I think it falls under the "not until they have to" category.

RFC Quote
There may well come a time when his hand is forced. Until that time arrives, however, he is going to proceed exactly as he has to this point. While he would love to get a look inside the Temple --- assuming that could be done without his own electronic gizzards setting off all sorts of alarms --- he isn't going to poke his nose into it until/unless he has to
Post by pokermind   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Hmm. Merlin may be getting new resources to probe the temple Madam Pahrsahn's group the Sisters of Saint Khody. Sisters who have worked in the temple for years as cleaning women etc. Some information could come from through debriefing, and training such as to what to look for will aid in planning a more in-depth probe.

Perhaps Owl could provide small film cameras that should not set off any alarms where electronic cameras would. This would allow mapping of the interior of the temple, and perhaps identification of censors.

Just gathering information without modern technology should not wake up dad, while trying to hack the system is likely to have very adverse consequences. Merlin needs this information to plan any actions against the temple.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by PalmerSperry   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:32 am

PalmerSperry
Commander

abrax894 wrote:Okay, let's get something strait here, I am no longer advocating direct action against the Temple/OBS. I thought I had made that clear but apparently it's going over some peoples head. What I'm saying is, 'Don't wake up the OBS' is not a catch all for every idea that comes up. The EXAMPLE I used, was of a large asteroid or group of asteroids set into the orbital past of the OBS to take it out. YES, it has holes in it, BUT, waking up the OBS is not one. It may trigger a defensive reaction but it WILL NOT cause it to start randomly striking out at anyone who LOOKS like they may be starting to advance.

The point of this article was that this reason/excuse isn't a catch all. I was pointing out how lazy it was for people to respond with it when the idea has almost NO chance of waking the OBS the way they are worried about. That is ALL I was saying. I was not promoting any specific way of taking the OBS/Temple out.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that the if a threshold is crossed somewhere/somehow that causes the OBS to activate it will activate by firing randomly in random directions? (And indeed, when it eliminated the pair of SNARCs this didn't happen so there's textev to support the idea that the OBS has a range of responses.)

But going back to the crowd of rocks idea, and ignoring the fact that RFC has stated that it wouldn't work ... Presumably this would involve either the recon skimmer or the assault shuttle, flying up to collect and aim the rocks? Whilst we can be reasonably certain that just flying the skimmer (and probably the shuttle) won't set off the OBS, I don't think anyone could be certain that using them to launch a rock cloud wouldn't/couldn't result in one or more of the following happening :-

[1] The OBS targets the site the skimmer/shuttle launched from.
[2] The OBS targets the skimmer/shuttle when they return to Safehold.
[3] The OBS lets the skimmer/shuttle land and then targets the landing site (possibly combined with [1] if it's a different site).
[4] Use of archangel level technology to attack the OBS triggers a "wake up Dad" routine.

In order for a "lets attack the OBS" idea to be considered IMHO, it has to be explained as part of the idea why the OBS won't respond by either targeting the site(s) the attack was launched from or "waking up Dad". Which I believe basically means someone needs to come up with a way of attacking the OBS that the OBS won't recognise as an attack ... Which should be a fun game, since noone knows what the OBS is programmed to recognise as a threat or what it's programmed to do when presented with same.
Post by Boronian   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:I think that the real best option would be to take someone, Father Paityr comes to mind, give them very thorough training in the operation of computers, and then after planning for as many contingincies as possible, infiltrate the temple and go to the basement.

Don

Ha! There are some grand images of a night raid on the temple in my head right now (delusion on my part of course). Imagine, Paityr (as a descendant of Schueler) in the middle of some elite troops (maybe partly from Aivah's organisation) rushing into the temple. Aivah used her connections in the temple for easy entry and some maps for planning. Maybe there even are certain elements of the temple guard helping them, cleaning the hallways and keeping people away. Of course there will be some problems because a higher ranked officer of the temple guard comes and wants to know what's up and then the situation could easily escalate...But in the end Paityr and some of his bodyguards arrive in the basement...What would wait down there? (That's a rhetorical question, I don't want to open that can of worms here :lol:)
Post by BarryKirk   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:38 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

What about having OWL use a couple of SNARCS to set up a high tech manufacturing facility in the asteroid belt?

By the time the millennial event occurs, how much resources could he have up and running?

Could it be enough to counter Langhorne loyal forces?

Return to Safehold