Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Safehold astronomy

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Safehold astronomy
Post by cralkhi   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 am

cralkhi
Captain of the List

From OAR, describing the Writ's version of the Ptolemaic model of the universe:

"Langhorne had created the world as a round ball at the center of the crystal spheres of the moon, sun, stars, and God’s own Heaven"

This is interesting in that it doesn't mention any planets. Does the Kau-zhi system not have any planets other than Safehold, or at least none bright enough to see from Safehold?

If so, that would make the Ptolemaic model pretty unassailable (on observational grounds rather than just "Merlin/Owl say so") without quite advanced astronomical technology.

With no planets to see retrograde motion in to make the system even require epicycles... with no equivalent of Jupiter's moons to see clearly orbiting something other than Safehold...

They'd have to have instruments/measurements precise enough to make it entirely clear that stellar aberration/parallax wasn't just observational error (whereas we were specifically looking for parallax for centuries, and discovered stellar aberration in the process). And even then, I doubt they'd realize that it meant heliocentrism without Merlin/Owl... we'd already had the heliocentric model for centuries, and without those planets' retrograde motion, there would never have been any reason to develop it in the first place.
Re: Safehold astronomy
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:15 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I don't remember any planets mentioned but if there are other planets around Safehold's sun their movement around Safehold is explained in the Writ with epicycles.

Also, it maybe that the Writ mentions that Langhorne gave some of the other planets moons of their own.

While David Weber hasn't (to the best of my knowledge) said anything about Safehold astronomy, he has said that the Writ gives enough information concerning the World that Safeholdians likely won't "see a need" to seek out explanations.

IMO telescopes are an easily foreseen development (and too useful to be banned) that the Writ would explain what they might see in the sky with such telescopes.

While the heliocentric model is a simpler system to describe what we see, the Writ's explanation (including epicycles) could be "what marvels Langhorne has created".

IE Langhorne could have created a simpler system but included epicycles to give mortals something to marvel at.

cralkhi wrote:From OAR, describing the Writ's version of the Ptolemaic model of the universe:

"Langhorne had created the world as a round ball at the center of the crystal spheres of the moon, sun, stars, and God’s own Heaven"

This is interesting in that it doesn't mention any planets. Does the Kau-zhi system not have any planets other than Safehold, or at least none bright enough to see from Safehold?

If so, that would make the Ptolemaic model pretty unassailable (on observational grounds rather than just "Merlin/Owl say so") without quite advanced astronomical technology.

With no planets to see retrograde motion in to make the system even require epicycles... with no equivalent of Jupiter's moons to see clearly orbiting something other than Safehold...

They'd have to have instruments/measurements precise enough to make it entirely clear that stellar aberration/parallax wasn't just observational error (whereas we were specifically looking for parallax for centuries, and discovered stellar aberration in the process). And even then, I doubt they'd realize that it meant heliocentrism without Merlin/Owl... we'd already had the heliocentric model for centuries, and without those planets' retrograde motion, there would never have been any reason to develop it in the first place.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:42 pm

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

I feel like it would be nigh on impossible to create a truly bullet proof document that wouldn't admit a single point to hang a question on with only a decade to work and the finest supercomputer support ever wrought by the hands of men. There's going to be something. Some hole, some inconsistencies, some irrational thing, however small, that points to a larger problem with the document as a whole. There was a discussion on linguistics that made sense to me at the time, though I doubt that I have sufficient command of the English language to articulate more than the most basic synopsis, but that discussion centered on the use of words from different languages, different root words, etc. Perhaps there is something similar to astronomy? I feel like there just isn't a "good stopping point" with astronomy that lends itself well to giving someone a bone to chew without going the next step. Hell, our ancient ancestors were fascinated with the stars to the tune of accurately plotting their movement in relation to each other, the planets, the sun, etc. If men 10k years ago could have a working understanding of the movements of celestial bodies, then surely people on safehold, with a solid basis for producing a variety of precision items, sufficiently productive farms to allow for non productive individuals to sit back and work their noodles, would at least begin to ASK a question, even if they hadn't begun to reason their way toward the truth.
Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake
Post by SYED   » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:57 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

SAy charis creates the most advanced telescope facility in the world, to search the night sky. To get vieiwings of so much more. The angels thought that with their limited tech base, then they would never develop far enough to map them properly. SAy they can, how will the church react to such discoveries. it is not like they can cover the sky, and one of their orders has a strong tradition of watching the heavens, they would want the better telescpoes, and such tech has long been allowed.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

DrakBibliophile wrote:I don't remember any planets mentioned but if there are other planets around Safehold's sun their movement around Safehold is explained in the Writ with epicycles.

Also, it maybe that the Writ mentions that Langhorne gave some of the other planets moons of their own.

While David Weber hasn't (to the best of my knowledge) said anything about Safehold astronomy, he has said that the Writ gives enough information concerning the World that Safeholdians likely won't "see a need" to seek out explanations.

IMO telescopes are an easily foreseen development (and too useful to be banned) that the Writ would explain what they might see in the sky with such telescopes.

While the heliocentric model is a simpler system to describe what we see, the Writ's explanation (including epicycles) could be "what marvels Langhorne has created".

IE Langhorne could have created a simpler system but included epicycles to give mortals something to marvel at.

cralkhi wrote:From OAR, describing the Writ's version of the Ptolemaic model of the universe:

The Holy Writ uses Ptolemey's deferents, epicycles, and equants but with the Writ supplying the "official" distances to the other system bodies in order to ensure that all the epicycles work out to the same distance as the sun's apparent orbit around Safehold. The other planets aren't planets like Safehold; instead, they are worlds which might have become other homes for Man, as Safehold did, if only Shan-wei hadn't fallen and led the rebellion against God's plan. Had Shan-wei not rebelled, those additional inhabited worlds would have orbited in Safehold's heavens against the magnificent backdrop of the stars forever.

As for the apparent motion of the stars, that, too, is a deliberate gift from God, a vast tapestry set to change forever in Safehold's heavens.

No telescope which can be fabricated without first violating the Proscriptions is going to disprove any of the above. People asking the right questions even without telescopes could undoubtedly unravel it, but first they'd have to have a reason to ask the questions in the first place. The model they have works; this is a society which absolutely accepts the accuracy of the Writ and all of the firsthand accounts left by 8,000,000 Adams and Eves; and there is very little likelihood that anyone would ask those questions under those circumstances. There is even less likelihood that he would ask them twice once the Inqusition had a word with him.

The system isn't perfect or infallible, but, then, Langhorne's entire plan assumed a degree of infallibility that was inherently unobtainable. It is pretty well thought out, however, and the Church was instituted as the checking mechanism intended to keep his intellectual dykes from sprouting leaks.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:The Holy Writ uses Ptolemey's deferents, epicycles, and equants but with the Writ supplying the "official" distances to the other system bodies in order to ensure that all the epicycles work out to the same distance as the sun's apparent orbit around Safehold. The other planets aren't planets like Safehold; instead, they are worlds which might have become other homes for Man, as Safehold did, if only Shan-wei hadn't fallen and led the rebellion against God's plan. Had Shan-wei not rebelled, those additional inhabited worlds would have orbited in Safehold's heavens against the magnificent backdrop of the stars forever.
Bolding mine.

Ouch! That is just kicking the enemy when they are down! Think about it, in addition to Armageddon Reef being evidence of Shan-Wei's treachery, the planets themselves act as reinforcement of her evil because her actions prevented those planets being turned into more worlds, thus dooming millions to never having existed!

Yet more reason for the locals to hate Shan-Wei.

Oh, that is just sooooooo evil.
I'm impressed. Nay, awed by it.
Wow.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:44 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Michael Everett wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:The Holy Writ uses Ptolemey's deferents, epicycles, and equants but with the Writ supplying the "official" distances to the other system bodies in order to ensure that all the epicycles work out to the same distance as the sun's apparent orbit around Safehold. The other planets aren't planets like Safehold; instead, they are worlds which might have become other homes for Man, as Safehold did, if only Shan-wei hadn't fallen and led the rebellion against God's plan. Had Shan-wei not rebelled, those additional inhabited worlds would have orbited in Safehold's heavens against the magnificent backdrop of the stars forever.
Bolding mine.

Ouch! That is just kicking the enemy when they are down! Think about it, in addition to Armageddon Reef being evidence of Shan-Wei's treachery, the planets themselves act as reinforcement of her evil because her actions prevented those planets being turned into more worlds, thus dooming millions to never having existed!

Wow.

Thank you [he said modestly]. :ugeek:

One always wishes to give one's rotters at least a few moments of triumph. :twisted:

Post by PeterZ   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:00 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

Michael Everett wrote:Bolding mine.

Wow.

Thank you [he said modestly]. :ugeek:

One always wishes to give one's rotters at least a few moments of triumph. :twisted:

One wonders how this will bite Langhorne in the posterior for it surely will. When the truth comes out, it is Langhorne's deviation from the Plan (of operation Ark) that doomed those other planets to be without human habitation. This bit of planned gratuitous curb stomping on Langhorne's part will be just another factoid that convinces Safeholdians that he and his cohorts lied.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:36 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

PeterZ wrote:

Michael Everett wrote:Bolding mine.

Wow.

runsforcelery wrote:Thank you [he said modestly]. :ugeek:

One wonders how this will bite Langhorne in the posterior for it surely will. When the truth comes out, it is Langhorne's deviation from the Plan (of operation Ark) that doomed those other planets to be without human habitation. This bit of planned gratuitous curb stomping on Langhorne's part will be just another factoid that convinces Safeholdians that he and his cohorts lied.

Actually, the planets in question wouldn't have been habitable anyway. Not without the very sort of artificial life support (and high-tech infrastructure) Operation Ark was specifically intended to avoid, at any rate.

Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Actually, the planets in question wouldn't have been habitable anyway. Not without the very sort of artificial life support (and high-tech infrastructure) Operation Ark was specifically intended to avoid, at any rate.

And yet all those who weren't of the Command Crew wouldn't know that, thus reinforcing the lie.

It would seem the liar was even cleverer than I thought...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Safehold