Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 64 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:45 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Well, this is Labor Day weekend in the US so David Weber may be taking a break from writing to have fun with his family. ;)

Alistair wrote:OK when the next snippet?

its been over a week!!

:(
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Undercover Fat Kid   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Undercover Fat Kid
Commander

Terribly inconsiderate of him,I know!

Lol

DrakBibliophile wrote:Well, this is Labor Day weekend in the US so David Weber may be taking a break from writing to have fun with his family. ;)

its been over a week!!

Death is as a feather,
Duty is as a mountain
This life is a dream
From which we all
Must wake
Post by pokermind   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

its been over a week!!

Alistair, I hate to be a kill joy but David said they would come irregular with longer intervals between them in the introduction of the first official snippet:

runsforcelery wrote:
Guys — I have now finished and turned in Hell's Foundations Quiver. In fact, I just finished sending off the updated character list and the list of sub-maps I hope we can get into this volume about's 20 minutes ago.

Now, please bear in mind that TOR's production cycle runs considerably longer than Baen Books' ducts. That mean this that it will probably be 10 months to a year before this book hits the shelves. I THINK it's scheduled for summer of 2015, but they also expected to have the book from me no later than the end of June. Various delays intervened to push that back, so I'm not sure exactly where that leaves us.

In the meantime, I don't really want to start snipping in earnest too soon. If I do, then you'll have had too much of the book by the time we get close to releasing it. So I'm going to be snipping, probably on a rather irregular basis, and there are going to be longer gaps between snippets than I know a lot of you would prefer. I'm sorry about that, but that's just the way it's going to have to be. :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil:

[SNIP]

So all we can do is beg politely:

I know waiting is hard, but even Jesus on his cross asked God to take the cup from him ;)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Just remembered, this weekend is also DragonCon and David Weber is there.

Undercover Fat Kid wrote:Terribly inconsiderate of him,I know!

Lol

DrakBibliophile wrote:Well, this is Labor Day weekend in the US so David Weber may be taking a break from writing to have fun with his family. ;)

Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Ah Dragoncon... Also something to remember Labor Day tends to be a lot of youth soccer tournaments. I believe he mentioned before his kids play soccer, and they are in the right age range. Poor man probably hasn't stopped moving in days.
Post by Alistair   » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Yes I know I'm a bit a haven prole who BLS is late but I can't help it I'm addicted to the snippets (sigh)
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

The Sisters of Saint Khody were never actually proscribed, but they certainly should have been when Saint Kohdy was purged from The Testimonies.

As I recall, the Testimonies were written by Adams, therefore, Khody was an Adam. :mrgreen:
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:36 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Well some of the Testimonies could have been written by Eves. ;)

Seriously, Kohdy may have been an Adam but "purged from the Testimonies" could also mean "purging any mention of Kohdy from the Testimonies" and likely does.

It would be a bit strange if somebody as active in the War Against the Fallen as Kohdy hadn't been mention in Testimonies written by other Adams/Eves.

Based on what we learned in the other snippets, it's possible that Kohdy never had the chance to write his own Testimony but he likely was mentioned in other parts of the Testimonies.

Keith_w wrote:
The Sisters of Saint Khody were never actually proscribed, but they certainly should have been when Saint Kohdy was purged from The Testimonies.

As I recall, the Testimonies were written by Adams, therefore, Khody was an Adam. :mrgreen:
Post by evilauthor   » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:45 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:Well some of the Testimonies could have been written by Eves. ;)

Seriously, Kohdy may have been an Adam but "purged from the Testimonies" could also mean "purging any mention of Kohdy from the Testimonies" and likely does.

It would be a bit strange if somebody as active in the War Against the Fallen as Kohdy hadn't been mention in Testimonies written by other Adams/Eves.

Based on what we learned in the other snippets, it's possible that Kohdy never had the chance to write his own Testimony but he likely was mentioned in other parts of the Testimonies.

The easy solution is that the Testimonies aren't writings from EVERY Adam and Eve. Can you just imagine someone trying to buy EIGHT MILLION BOOKS, each one a single Adam's or Eve's journal?

I think it;s more likely that the Church approved Testimonies are a collection of selected excerpts from said journals, which just makes it that much easier to remove mentions of Kohdy.

Also, if most of the articles in the Testimonies pre-date the WotF (which seems likely when writing about things like the Creation and Angelic visits to this or that village), Kohdy wouldn't be mentioned at all because he hadn't become famous yet.
Post by phillies   » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:06 pm

phillies
Admiral

While I may be misinterpreting, it was my impression from book one or so that the Testimonies did include the writings of every Adam and every Eve, though clearly they are not all in every local library.

evilauthor wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:Well some of the Testimonies could have been written by Eves. ;)

The easy solution is that the Testimonies aren't writings from EVERY Adam and Eve. Can you just imagine someone trying to buy EIGHT MILLION BOOKS, each one a single Adam's or Eve's journal?

I think it;s more likely that the Church approved Testimonies are a collection of selected excerpts from said journals, which just makes it that much easier to remove mentions of Kohdy.

Also, if most of the articles in the Testimonies pre-date the WotF (which seems likely when writing about things like the Creation and Angelic visits to this or that village), Kohdy wouldn't be mentioned at all because he hadn't become famous yet.

Return to Safehold