Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:13 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Lazarlives,

What we know so far is that seijin Khody was a saint at one point, became a seijin, then a non-person after the Adams and Eve's died out, quite a process in one man's life.

To fire such devotion in disciples centuries later seems to require considerable proof as a foundation for their faith, so I wonder what relics might there be for his followers?

Suppose a federation telescope far better than any the church approves, enables current viewers to see the imperfections of the moon, or enables easy tracking the other planets, monitor or track solar weather etc, or simply instruction on how to make their own good enough for the same purpose of disproving the Holy Writ?

I don't think any text indicates Khody was part of the command crew, but he might have found or received from even Shan-wei herself pre-creation documents, akin to the History of the Terran Federation, perhaps a crew manifest for operation Ark etc, that reveals the archangels humanity and ulterior purposes.

Other items might be medical scanners or purifiers etc, like a small 24th century hand held x-ray type device, solar powered like Paityr's, that can aid detection and treatment or see through a wall, while obviously used by the angels they always denied them to further the religious awe.

While such tools are accepted as gifts from the angels by the CoGA lay public initially, it may be such admissions are seen as dangerous by the then survivors or vicarate, who hatch the plan to slowly discredit his memory.

I'm sure others can point out other tools such fed tech might be, that still working helps prove his story to the next generation of acolytes. :D

L

Lazalarlives wrote:What we have here is a wonderful little bit of what we've all been obsessing about.

It tells us huge amounts - we have the name and recruiting methods of the organization along with the reason why they're not happy with the COGA.

What we don't have, however, are answers. We can infer that the Sisters of Saint Kohdy still (somewhat) believe in the 'angels' and 'saints'. We do not, however, know much else.

And while we're at it, it's the perfect fourth column for Safehold as it is. The men ignore women - as is common in a lot of less enlightened areas. And women talking to each other? Just gossip. Ignoring women is stupid, especially from an intelligence point of view. But it happens all the time, even in places you'd think were way past that 'barefoot in the kitchen' outlook.

What do you want to bet that Kohdy's great sin was women's rights? I can imagine a man who loves women - not a player, but the hopeless romantic that crashes from romance to romance while the women in his life despair of ever catching him but never tire of trying - pressing the COGA to name a woman to the Orange of a Vicar.

And like the man of La Mancha, continuing to tilt at that particular four-armed giant long after it was wise or safe. Nations like Harchong cannot endure with a serf (slave)-type economy if there is any recourse to equality. It makes it easier to oppress people if there is someone lower than they on the totem pole - and women are generally the easiest target because of their size, nature, and comparative physical strength. (I'm not trying to be sexist, just honest. While some women my age are far stronger than I, most women in a particular group are, on average and in the mean, weaker than their male counterparts. They are also less likely to seek physical confrontation and respond more readily to threats against their offspring and family. Quite a few 'uncultured' types (see the Gaza strip) are just fine with the concept of 'kill all the youngsters you want, we have plenty of women and we'll make more.' End Rant, sorry)

Someone in the COGA made Kohdy a non-person - but someone else remembered. And that first seed of doubt is the source of her belief that Merlin comes from 'somewhere else; just like all the Adams and Eves.' (paraphrase) Doubt is often like faith - it can begin as a small thing, like a mustard seed, and grow into a huge bush that shelters all sorts of things from the storms.

And thank you, if I had not before, for the snippet, sir. I sometimes miss speculative analysis and trend identification. This stuff keeps me from driving the wife nuts by doing things like picking up the milk, eggs, and bread on the way home when she's waiting at the door with a list for me because she forgot to tell me and wants me to go back out and get them...

Just my two cents.
Dave
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by dwileye13   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:Hello RunsForCelery!

Snip

So we have confirmation here that Khody lived and died, ie not a PICA, for those who continue to dredge up that dead horse. ;)

Yet we had no offer by Nahrmahn and OWL to go check out the sisters' records in #2, which is also very interesting; have the records been lost or moved or put in a place the SNARC's can't get to?

The horse was not dead until we had confirmation.

As for the records, the location of the Sisters of Saint Kohdy has no TextEv so where do you find them - they recruit out of the Convent but their location is unknown
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by dwileye13   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:06 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:In honor of joat's emoticon, we have a small snippet for the day.

-----------------------------------------------

SNIP
". . . since all the originals were in the Temple’s Grand Library, but according to the Sisterhood’s journals, they’d waited to move against Saint Kohdy’s official memory until none of the people with actual memories of his life were around to question the approved version.”

------------------------------------------

Mr Weber,
Thank you for the snippets and curse the torture we are about to re-chew for months on end.
God bless you and yours.

SSA & SSK
Nynian came out of the SSA recruited into the SSK and eventually became the Madam of the finest (I assume) bordello in the Temple Lands. This was probably the plan by the SSK as it was their operation to begin with and probably . . . ahem . . . the Convent of Saint Kohdy in the Temple Lands. What little we know about Sejin/Saint Kohdy does infer he was a fun guy and impressive warrior. Even in Corisande he is pictured on a Whiskey Bottle with babes in arms (so to speak).
That the SSK is an impressive operation, I believe is obvious. What information they have is also inferred – Nynian studied the Sejins and probably the details of the WAF. Having those details (from both sides) would provide information leading her to her comments. I look forward to the who, what when and why of the War against the Fallen. That there were sufficient forces on both sides to maintain a war and have it end not completely has implications for SSK's journals.
Nynian herself has just risked more than anything in her life, including joining the SSK, by confiding in Merlin (with her inner circle’s approval - I am reasonably sure). She has trust in Merlin but doesn’t know anything substantive yet. We must wait to read the rest of the conversation and her history.
What I want to see is Nynian brought to the Abbey of Saint Zhernau in Tellesburg and go through the archival ‘show me yours and I will show you mine’ routine. What a scene that would be.
Post by GlynnStewart   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 am

GlynnStewart
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

dwileye13 wrote:SSA & SSK
Nynian came out of the SSA recruited into the SSK and eventually became the Madam of the finest (I assume) bordello in the Temple Lands. This was probably the plan by the SSK as it was their operation to begin with and probably . . . ahem . . . the Convent of Saint Kohdy in the Temple Lands. What little we know about Sejin/Saint Kohdy does infer he was a fun guy and impressive warrior. Even in Corisande he is pictured on a Whiskey Bottle with babes in arms (so to speak).
That the SSK is an impressive operation, I believe is obvious. What information they have is also inferred – Nynian studied the Sejins and probably the details of the WAF. Having those details (from both sides) would provide information leading her to her comments. I look forward to the who, what when and why of the War against the Fallen. That there were sufficient forces on both sides to maintain a war and have it end not completely has implications for SSK's journals.

I think knowledge of the War Against the Fallen will be huge.

Right now, Merlin only knows that war happened. He doesn't know who fought who, or over what. What information he has is filtered through an intentional layer of myth and outright lies.

The truth of the WAF could completely change some of his underlying assumptions about both the Church - and about who (or what) is sleeping in the basement of the Temple.
Post by dwileye13   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:38 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:Still think SYED is on very thin ice with his assertions that 'it stands to reason' that the Inquisition must have preserved secret copies of every heretical text. I think they were much more likely to have destroyed them, even in more liberal times on Safehold. Paityr Wylsynn is well enough connected in the Inquisition that he ought to, at least, know about any such secret archives, but no mention of any such thing from him.

I can only think of 2 reasons for keeping such an archive. One is educational, you want to teach priests why these heresies are wrong so they can better guide their congregations (as happens in every Christian theological college) but then, of course they are not secret. Or you have an index of banned books and you need the archive to check if any book is really the banned one or just something with an unhappily chosen title, say, but we have no textev of any Index Expurgatorius on Safehold - and, again, for a banned book list to be effective in protecting the faithful you have to publish the actual list.

In the Key could be exactly what you are talking about. Locked away until the Millenial Return.
Post by SYED   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Just because a book is banned/forbidden, does not automaticly mean it will get destroyed. We all have a habit of simply not destroying books, the priests in charge of libraries especially so. It is part of society, i see books locked and hidden away.
In a movie, i saw, the remains of a demon were sealed inside of a statue as a relic. What if forbidden texts are similarly contained, as a way to hide them, yet keep them just in case.
Post by Randomiser   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

SYED wrote:Just because a book is banned/forbidden, does not automaticly mean it will get destroyed. We all have a habit of simply not destroying books, the priests in charge of libraries especially so. It is part of society, i see books locked and hidden away.
In a movie, i saw, the remains of a demon were sealed inside of a statue as a relic. What if forbidden texts are similarly contained, as a way to hide them, yet keep them just in case.

Well, anything is possible I suppose. What if the Sisters of Saint Kohdy was founded by the only Gbaba who actually likes members of other species? I'm not going to put money on any of these things though.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:05 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
SYED wrote:Just because a book is banned/forbidden, does not automaticly mean it will get destroyed. We all have a habit of simply not destroying books, the priests in charge of libraries especially so. It is part of society, i see books locked and hidden away.

Well, anything is possible I suppose. What if the Sisters of Saint Kohdy was founded by the only Gbaba who actually likes members of other species? I'm not going to put money on any of these things though.

I would agree that COGA probably has files with heretical texts. The Vatican library in Rome certainly does. It is one thing to not want a book in circulation and quite another to erase all record of the book's existence.

My question is "what about the brothers of St Khody?" We know that men are being recruited as operatives. How is that being handled?

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Alistair   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

OK when the next snippet?

its been over a week!!

:(
Post by phillies   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:08 pm

phillies
Admiral

One reason fro saving heretical texts, to be read only by pious experts, is that often ideas go off the rails in steps. By realizing that a fixation on a typo in Langhorne eventually causes people to believe that humans can fly, one can nip certain issues in the bud.

Return to Safehold