Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)
Post by tootall   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:11 am

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

[quote="runsforcelery"]In honor of joat's emoticon, we have a small snippet for the day.

-----------------------------------------------
“She was careful about sounding me out, especially given who my father was and who’d raised me, but that very rebelliousness in the girls entrusted to Saint Anzhelyk’s care had made the convent a good hunting ground for the Sisters of Saint Kohdy for many years.
The Sisters of Saint Khody were never actually proscribed, but they certainly should have been when Saint Kohdy was purged from The Testimonies. In fact, if I had to guess, the only reason they weren’t proscribed long before that was that the surviving Angels were waiting for the last of the Adams and Eves to die before they acted. It wasn’t that difficult for them to edit The Testimonies, since all the originals were in the Temple’s Grand Library, but according to the Sisterhood’s journals, they’d waited to move against Saint Kohdy’s official memory until none of the people with actual memories of his life were around to question the approved version.”

So the thing for me is we're finally going to get some details about what happened after the bomb went off.
Who was fighting and why? In a way that's more interesting right now than Aivah's current doings. That is - the past has always been this loooooose end. Getting some answers sort of ties it down.
Aivah's "current" story is going to be a loose end for months and months.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:24 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

Hm - a life without the Honorverse may not be desirable but the quality of the latest Safehold snippets shows that it is possible.
Post by Boronian   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Thanks for the snippet!
This answers the age question. The Sisters of Kohdy (we got an official name) were founded very early. Aivah seems to know about Angels being humans, the civil war between them (maybe even the truth about that?) and the reeducating of the Adams and Eves. Her language seems to be irreverentially and practical presenting facts of the matter (the perfect description I have in mind eludes me but I hope you get what I mean).

runsforcelery wrote:In honor of joat's emoticon, we have a small snippet for the day.

“. . . so while I was at the convent, Sister Klairah recruited me,” Aivah said quietly, gazing down into Merlin’s fire while the wind roared and buffeted about the embassy. “I don’t know how much you know about the Convent of Saint Ahnzhelyk, but it’s the sort of place parents and families send young ladies with rebellious streaks. It has a reputation for turning them around, and a remarkable number of them end up as sisters of Saint Ahnzhelyk’s order. Of course, in my case there were several reasons for stashing me there, but I really didn’t object to the order’s austerity. I suppose I was young and impressionable — I’d just turned fifteen, for goodness’ sake! — but I believed I had a true vocation, and so did Sister Klairah.

“She was careful about sounding me out, especially given who my father was and who’d raised me, but that very rebelliousness in the girls entrusted to Saint Anzhelyk’s care had made the convent a good hunting ground for the Sisters of Saint Kohdy for many years. Not that most of Saint Anzhelyk’s sisters knew anything about their activities . . . or that they could afford to run any risks that might expose them or tell the Inquisition they existed. The Sisters of Saint Khody were never actually proscribed, but they certainly should have been when Saint Kohdy was purged from The Testimonies. In fact, if I had to guess, the only reason they weren’t proscribed long before that was that the surviving Angels were waiting for the last of the Adams and Eves to die before they acted. It wasn’t that difficult for them to edit The Testimonies, since all the originals were in the Temple’s Grand Library, but according to the Sisterhood’s journals, they’d waited to move against Saint Kohdy’s official memory until none of the people with actual memories of his life were around to question the approved version.”

------------------------------------------

Post by Tanstaafl   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:46 am

Tanstaafl
Commander

PeterZ wrote: Heck, I would buy a hard copy of the manuscript. Aaaaarrrrgghh!

"a hard copy of the manuscript" is called THE BOOK.
Post by cralkhi   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:52 am

cralkhi
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:I was right about the convent too!?! If this convent was located in North-West Harchong, I would be almost totally right in my Nynian speculation.

A secret brotherhood (EDIT: or sisterhood) in Harchong - or anywhere near there - would be some support for my idea that gunpowder is not a natural Safeholdian development.

In our world, it was developed by Chinese alchemists -- they were trying for medicines, not explosives. But there isn't that kind of tradition with people trying all sorts of different things on Safehold, since all the good medicines and fertilizers etc. are right there for you in the Writ.

Also, as primitive as the guns are in OAR, they're actually better - I think - than what we had a comparable time after gunpowder was invented.

It just doesn't fit without some kind of outside intervention, IMO.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:08 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello RunsForCelery!

Wow! Thanks for another snippet! 8-)

Obviously with plenty of unanswered questions and twists-definitely up to clever if not devilish RFC standards. ;)

The Sisters of Ahnzhelyk seem interesting in their own right, like Rosalind Russel's movie convent, but the link with the Sisters of Saint Khody are more intriguing still, because they knew or have real records, ie actual accounts of seijin Khody.

It's very interesting that their records trumped the temple's attempt to write him out of history, and despite their name were ignored when the temple, perhaps under the directions of the last archangel or two, finally moved.

Evidently the temple's knowledge wasn't as complete as they thought, or did the sisterhood already have friends inside the temple?

But now we have proof that HFQ will have at least part of the missing post Rakurai history; sure to be fascinating stuff beside all the current campaign and battle stuff.

So we have confirmation here that Khody lived and died, ie not a PICA, for those who continue to dredge up that dead horse. ;)

Yet we had no offer by Nahrmahn and OWL to go check out the sisters' records in #2, which is also very interesting; have the records been lost or moved or put in a place the SNARC's can't get to?

How much of her story can be verified quickly?

Is she expecting some kind of 'seijin investigation' as part of her test of Merlin?

She still sounds devout about what she knows, but as noted before, she doesn't seem that devout regarding the archangels including Langhorne, a very important distinction.

All of which leaves us screaming for more, though the weekly schedule seems long enough for us all to put in our two cents on what they mean. :lol:

Thanks again RFC!

L

I apologise, I thought I posted this earlier. :oops:

runsforcelery wrote:In honor of joat's emoticon, we have a small snippet for the day.

“. . . so while I was at the convent, Sister Klairah recruited me,” Aivah said quietly, gazing down into Merlin’s fire while the wind roared and buffeted about the embassy. “I don’t know how much you know about the Convent of Saint Ahnzhelyk, but it’s the sort of place parents and families send young ladies with rebellious streaks. It has a reputation for turning them around, and a remarkable number of them end up as sisters of Saint Ahnzhelyk’s order. Of course, in my case there were several reasons for stashing me there, but I really didn’t object to the order’s austerity. I suppose I was young and impressionable — I’d just turned fifteen, for goodness’ sake! — but I believed I had a true vocation, and so did Sister Klairah.

“She was careful about sounding me out, especially given who my father was and who’d raised me, but that very rebelliousness in the girls entrusted to Saint Anzhelyk’s care had made the convent a good hunting ground for the Sisters of Saint Kohdy for many years. Not that most of Saint Anzhelyk’s sisters knew anything about their activities . . . or that they could afford to run any risks that might expose them or tell the Inquisition they existed. The Sisters of Saint Khody were never actually proscribed, but they certainly should have been when Saint Kohdy was purged from The Testimonies. In fact, if I had to guess, the only reason they weren’t proscribed long before that was that the surviving Angels were waiting for the last of the Adams and Eves to die before they acted. It wasn’t that difficult for them to edit The Testimonies, since all the originals were in the Temple’s Grand Library, but according to the Sisterhood’s journals, they’d waited to move against Saint Kohdy’s official memory until none of the people with actual memories of his life were around to question the approved version.”

------------------------------------------

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Cralki,

Gunpowder was invented about 80 years before Merlin showed up in OAR as I recall, I don't see why the convent had to be in Harchong, the temple lands seem far more likely, though the possible connection with inventing gunpowder by some associated brotherhood is very interesting and coincidences don't just happen around RFC.

Lots of interesting details to chew over, until next Friday! :D

L

cralkhi wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I was right about the convent too!?! If this convent was located in North-West Harchong, I would be almost totally right in my Nynian speculation.

A secret brotherhood (EDIT: or sisterhood) in Harchong - or anywhere near there - would be some support for my idea that gunpowder is not a natural Safeholdian development.

In our world, it was developed by Chinese alchemists -- they were trying for medicines, not explosives. But there isn't that kind of tradition with people trying all sorts of different things on Safehold, since all the good medicines and fertilizers etc. are right there for you in the Writ.

Also, as primitive as the guns are in OAR, they're actually better - I think - than what we had a comparable time after gunpowder was invented.

It just doesn't fit without some kind of outside intervention, IMO.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by pokermind   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:32 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Ah, the mysterious organization is the Sisters of Saint Kohdy and, they hunt for new recruits in “the Convent of Saint Ahnzhelyk, but it’s the sort of place parents and families send young ladies with rebellious streaks. It has a reputation for turning them around, and a remarkable number of them end up as sisters of Saint Ahnzhelyk’s order.”

We can speculate that the Sisters of Saint Kohdy is either within the recruiting Convent of Saint Ahnzhelyk probably the librarians, or in another Convent of Saint Ahnzhelyk to hide in plain sight as members of that order, but a Sisters of Saint Kohdy. In either place are kept the papers of Saint Kohdy. We can speculate further that Saint Kohdy was a disaffected member of the command crew who knew the truth and passed on some of it in his writings. Cody ‘X’ was not Kau-Young’s spy among the command crew or Merlin would know of him, known not to be totally committed to Langhorne’s plan thus his purging after his death.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by thanatos   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:16 am

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:We can speculate that the Sisters of Saint Kohdy is either within the recruiting Convent of Saint Ahnzhelyk probably the librarians, or in another Convent of Saint Ahnzhelyk to hide in plain sight as members of that order, but a Sisters of Saint Kohdy. In either place are kept the papers of Saint Kohdy. We can speculate further that Saint Kohdy was a disaffected member of the command crew who knew the truth and passed on some of it in his writings. Cody ‘X’ was not Kau-Young’s spy among the command crew or Merlin would know of him, known not to be totally committed to Langhorne’s plan thus his purging after his death.
Poker

I disagree that Cody (AKA Seijin Kohdy) was a member of the command crew considering that all of those loyal to Langhorne were deemed Angels or Archangels and those who were disloyal were deemed as "fallen". The seijin were therefore human warriors who served the archangels in the war against the fallen (or so the church has taught). LAMA stated that Clyntahn and the Inquisition had had no choice but to finally designate Merlin as a demon since his escapade in Delferahk proved his superhuman capabilities and because no "true" seijin would ever raise his hand against God (and his church of course).

Yet for Kohdy to be purged from the Testimonies, to be erased from from all memory to the point that his very existence became apocryphal (even Merlin believes that he didn't really exist) and not be anathematized or condemned as a demon or a servant of Shan-wei means that his services to God during that war were so famous and obvious that they could not condemn him for whatever he did that was considered wrong. It is likely that he was an immensely popular figure and any attempt to tarnish him would have been met with serious resistance from those who knew him or had met him. So they opted to purge him from the official histories and probably hoped that without the clear historical record of the Testimonies, he would become nothing more than a legendary figure. Yet if indeed there was a Sisterhood dedicated to his "sainthood", I would not be too surprised to hear that they either preserved the unedited version of the Testimonies or else distributed children's tales based upon his deeds as remembered by that generation that followed those who did know him personally. That still of course leaves the question of what did he do to warrant the Prague Spring Treatment.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Thanks for the Snippet!!!! :D :D :D :D
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold