Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 80 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #3 (sort of)
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:34 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote: SNIP It has a reputation for turning them around, and a remarkable number of them end up as sisters of Saint Ahnzhelyk’s order. Of course, in my case there were several reasons for stashing me there, but I really didn’t object to the order’s austerity. I suppose I was young and impressionable — I’d just turned fifteen, for goodness’ sake! — but I believed I had a true vocation, and so did Sister Klairah.
SNIP

Randomiser wrote:SNIP

Notice that we are now talking about Saint Kohdy and the Testimonies not Seijin Kohdy.

SNIP

What chutzpah calling herself Ahnzhelyk Phonda when she went left the convent and went into the sex trade - talk about rebellious young ladies!

Good spot re: Saint Kohdy

I was very surprised to see that bit about 'true vocation' in the snippet given her activities a few years later. It implies that her 'recruiter', Sister Klairah was genuine in her beliefs too. So that also seems to imply Nynian's choice of 'profession' was not just an act of rebelliousness and/or despair, which is what I had assumed.

BTW do we read Phonda as Fonda as in Jane?
Post by n7axw   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:16 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hi everyone, First, thanks to our beloved author for the snippet....

This snippet seems to belong in order between #1 and #2, drawn from Nynian' conversation with Merlin.

Two questions right away... what about a "Brethren of St Khody?" My thought stems from the covert stuff. Men seem to be doing much of it, such as the assasinations. I can visualize a group allowing the women to do such things as recruiting because they are less likely to be noticed and suspected. If true, it explains the recruiting in the nunnery, but how are the men being recruited? Also, given Nynian's obvious skills at spycraft, it is apparent that both men and women are being trained. So what is the mechanism through which that training is handled?

Secondly, what did Seijin Khody do to get himself on archangels s**t list? By definition, he is not a member of the command crew or he would be an archangel rather than a seiin. That makes Seijn Khody one of that Adams. From what we have so far. Nynian seems only have a hint of the truth rather than the full story.. Could that mean that Seijin Khody happened across at least a fragmment of thr story and was censored for sharing it in the wrong places with the wromg people? Could that have been what the rift was about?

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:Hi everyone, First, thanks to our beloved author for the snippet....

This snippet seems to belong in order between #1 and #2, drawn from Nynian' conversation with Merlin.

Don

Don, I think this is exactly in order in the book. My guess is this is going to be like the big reveal to father Paityr and RFC is going to show the conversation as a flashback. Hence the ********* in snippet two indicating a break.
Post by kbus888   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:24 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/08/23=

Phonda == Fonda, IMO

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by pokermind   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:11 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Ahnzhelyk Phonda = Angelique Fonda IMHO.

Poker

kbus888 wrote:=2014/08/23=

Phonda == Fonda, IMO

R
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Joat42   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:13 pm

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:In honor of joat's emoticon, we have a small snippet for the day.

tootall wrote:Seems to me joats under a lot of pressure to come up with another emoticon-

Go JOAT!!

The pressure, the pressure!! Arrrggh!!! Image

Whee, a snippet!!! Image

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by SYED   » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:51 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

I once made mention that to know what potential heresy is out there, the inquisition had to keep records of it. THe vatican is said to have caults of treasure, and manuscripts that it is hording form the world, that it has collected and confiscated over the centuries.
It stands to reason that the inquisiton has a vault of all the originals that they have banned and altered over the years. To keep the truth hidden, they need to know what it was to begin with.

THatway something cant be hidden for decades, then brought forth, and be passed off as something benign, they know it is dangerous.

I wonder how many of the old monestary and estates have texts hidden away that the parts of church hope never to be seen again. THose estates need to be carefully mapped and searched for any lost treasures. Just because something is banned is no reason for them to get rid of it. They just become far more valuable in price.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:04 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

The Inquistition is keeping written records that shows that the Church is a fraud or at least shows that the Church's history is faked?

No offense intended, but I dislike that idea when it comes to the Roman Catholic keeping such records (even if the records are top secret) and I dislike it here.

IMO a group that has a mission to uphold what they believe is the Truth won't save documents that proves that their Truth is False.

They don't need to preserve documents that uphold what they believe to be false.

All they'd need is to compare newly found documents to documents that uphold what they believe to be the Truth.

Mind you, there's nothing wrong about your idea that others preserved documents, for whatever reason, that contradict Church doctrine and/or Church history.

It's just that the Inquisition would do it that bothers me.

SYED wrote:I once made mention that to know what potential heresy is out there, the inquisition had to keep records of it. THe vatican is said to have caults of treasure, and manuscripts that it is hording form the world, that it has collected and confiscated over the centuries.
It stands to reason that the inquisiton has a vault of all the originals that they have banned and altered over the years. To keep the truth hidden, they need to know what it was to begin with.

THatway something cant be hidden for decades, then brought forth, and be passed off as something benign, they know it is dangerous.

I wonder how many of the old monestary and estates have texts hidden away that the parts of church hope never to be seen again. THose estates need to be carefully mapped and searched for any lost treasures. Just because something is banned is no reason for them to get rid of it. They just become far more valuable in price.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Lazalarlives   » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Drak,
In our world, the 'worst' heretical texts were preserved in vaults - by the Church, under the care of the Inquisition. The reasoning was to preserve a record of where and how people got off the right track. Note that the Roman Catholic Inquisition was not always the bloody image most of us have been taught. The Inquisition was, at first and has reverted to be under a different name, a group dedicated to the study of our faith and striving to preserve the core beliefs from corruption.
Strangely enough, the Inquisition explored 'heresy' to find out if there was truth, or rather 'Truth' behind the outside thoughts. They often counseled priests who had strayed from the accepted doctrine - without torture, but persuaded with words - using the gathered knowledge, both heretical and doctrinally accepted, to try and bring the strays back.
It was only later, especially under the guidance of royal/noble patrons, that the Inquisition was used as a tool for oppression. Note that the Catalan heresies (there were many) were used as an excuse for conquest, for example.
If the COGA Inquisition was supposed to be the correction factor for societal drift, then they needed to preserve copies of all texts, even heretical ones. They could then compare the 'revealed' texts to known copies. It is quite impressive when someone looks at your book cover and goes - 'OH, you didn't fall for that hoax.' and then proceeds to quote some part of the book without looking inside. Suddenly they have created doubt about the book's veracity; the easiest way to shut down an inconvenient truth is to make it a 'known' hoax or render it apocryphal. Thus what they did to Kohdy - they made him into Pecos Bill and used the tall tales to move him into the realm of children's bedtime stories while burying his real history and message.
Even Merlin thought him a result of human imagination and the need for epics expressed as part of society.
Pretty good trick, eh? But without a record of his 'real' deeds, the COGA/Inquisition cannot move to suppress any 'new' discoveries of his tales. They could even publish (and may have at times) a list of books 'known' to be 'falsified'. Instead of making them collectors' items, they become embarrassing proof of gullibility.
Just saying that the Inquisition has a reason to keep the heretical texts - just as Kohdy's devotees had reason to both keep and hide his true record once the COGA decided to make him an unperson.

Just my 2 bits,
Dave
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:42 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Cite please.

I've heard about too many "conspiracy stories" where "secret" documents held by the Roman Catholic Church "prove" whatever the "secret history" the conspiracy buff wants us to believe.

Things like the Da Vinci Code with the Catholic Church sending out "hit men" to preserve some secret that the Church knows but nobody else does annoy me.

If you're not talking about that, I apologize.

Lazalarlives wrote:Drak,
In our world, the 'worst' heretical texts were preserved in vaults - by the Church, under the care of the Inquisition. The reasoning was to preserve a record of where and how people got off the right track. Note that the Roman Catholic Inquisition was not always the bloody image most of us have been taught. The Inquisition was, at first and has reverted to be under a different name, a group dedicated to the study of our faith and striving to preserve the core beliefs from corruption.
Strangely enough, the Inquisition explored 'heresy' to find out if there was truth, or rather 'Truth' behind the outside thoughts. They often counseled priests who had strayed from the accepted doctrine - without torture, but persuaded with words - using the gathered knowledge, both heretical and doctrinally accepted, to try and bring the strays back.
It was only later, especially under the guidance of royal/noble patrons, that the Inquisition was used as a tool for oppression. Note that the Catalan heresies (there were many) were used as an excuse for conquest, for example.
If the COGA Inquisition was supposed to be the correction factor for societal drift, then they needed to preserve copies of all texts, even heretical ones. They could then compare the 'revealed' texts to known copies. It is quite impressive when someone looks at your book cover and goes - 'OH, you didn't fall for that hoax.' and then proceeds to quote some part of the book without looking inside. Suddenly they have created doubt about the book's veracity; the easiest way to shut down an inconvenient truth is to make it a 'known' hoax or render it apocryphal. Thus what they did to Kohdy - they made him into Pecos Bill and used the tall tales to move him into the realm of children's bedtime stories while burying his real history and message.
Even Merlin thought him a result of human imagination and the need for epics expressed as part of society.
Pretty good trick, eh? But without a record of his 'real' deeds, the COGA/Inquisition cannot move to suppress any 'new' discoveries of his tales. They could even publish (and may have at times) a list of books 'known' to be 'falsified'. Instead of making them collectors' items, they become embarrassing proof of gullibility.
Just saying that the Inquisition has a reason to keep the heretical texts - just as Kohdy's devotees had reason to both keep and hide his true record once the COGA decided to make him an unperson.

Just my 2 bits,
Dave
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold