Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #2
Post by pokermind   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:00 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Thanks RFC. More information on the organization Nynian is part of:

RFC wrote:
[snip]

“Apparently, Jeremiah Knowles wasn’t the only person who left a written record,” Merlin told her wryly. “Mind you, the perspective’s a lot different, according to what Aivah —”

[snip]

“We already knew how dangerously capable this woman is,” he [High Admiral Rock Point] continued. “Or we thought we did, anyway. What we didn’t know was that there was actually an organization that’s been around even longer than the Brethren and done just as good a job of keeping its existence a secret that entire time! Given this little bombshell of hers, I’m more convinced than ever that this is not someone you want deciding you can’t be trusted because you’re hiding things she needs — or obviously thinks she needs, at any rate — to know.”

[snip]

It had taken Aivah — Nynian — hours to tell her story, and he wasn’t foolish enough to think she’d even begun to share all of it even now. He certainly wouldn’t have, in her place. Not, at least, until he’d been certain the person he was telling it to was actually who and what she so obviously hoped Merlin Athrawes was.

“Owl has the entire conversation on record,” he said now. “All of us can peruse it at our leisure, and I don’t think Nynian really expects an immediate answer. She’s obviously aware this is going to throw us for a loop and she doesn’t know anything about SNARCs or coms, so she’s going to give Cayleb and me at least some time to talk it over and decide what to do. But Domynyk’s right about how dangerous it could be to give her any reason to distrust us.”

His mind ran back over that same conversation, and he felt a fresh flicker of astonishment even now.

I wish I could ask OWL to replay the whole conversation so I knew who founded it. RFC told us in snippet 1 discussion it was none of Sen Wei's arrows, nor Segin Khody. That leaves one of the Archangels. A real plot twist would be Schuler himself. I wonder if this organization was founded before the war of the fallen.

Like Hector's survival I think RFC will keep this information close to his vest to keep us in suspense.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by KNick   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:19 am

KNick
Admiral

One of the things I wonder about is the official position of this group on Shan-wei. If they consider her the source of all the problems, how will they react to someone who knew her personally. For that matter, how will they react to someone who knew Langhorne?

As for who founded the group Nynian belongs to, don't forget it is possible that it was not someone from either side of the war. It could have been founded by a non-combatant who ended up learning more than the command crew wanted them to, who them passed it down to their decendants.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by n7axw   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:51 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I'm feeling pretty good that my speculation about there being an organization passing along institutional knowlege and training behind Aivah (Nynian) being pretty much right on.

My next speculation is that Nynian will turn out to be friend not foe...

One little nit...The brethren are traceable back to Jeremiah and Evelyn Knowles so Nynian's organization can't go back MUCH further than that since they were Adams and Eves.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:14 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

The Brethren's Inner Circle only started centuries after the death of Jeremiah and Evelyn Knowles.

IE they hide the information in the monastery but nobody accessed the information for centuries.

Now the secret group that Aivah is part of may have been active (ie it's knowledge was known) long before anybody opened Jeremiah's hidden library.

So whoever started this second secret group may have been around at the same time as Jeremiah and Evelyn Knowles, but they started the second secret group before the Brethren opened Jeremiah's library.

n7axw wrote:I'm feeling pretty good that my speculation about there being an organization passing along institutional knowlege and training behind Aivah (Nynian) being pretty much right on.

One little nit...The brethren are traceable back to Jeremiah and Evelyn Knowles so Nynian's organization can't go back MUCH further than that since they were Adams and Eves.

Don
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:20 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:I'm feeling pretty good that my speculation about there being an organization passing along institutional knowlege and training behind Aivah (Nynian) being pretty much right on.

Don

The Brethren did not form until they opened Jeremiah's sealed letter and cases of documents. That happened several hundred years after Jeremiah Knowles died. Nynian's group was a going concern prior to the Brethren forming. That could have been during the War of the Fallen or perhaps within 100 years of Creation.
Post by Tanstaafl   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Tanstaafl
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
“Owl has the entire conversation on record,” he said now. “All of us can peruse it at our leisure, and I don’t think Nynian really expects an immediate answer. She’s obviously aware this is going to throw us for a loop and she doesn’t know anything about SNARCs or coms, so she’s going to give Cayleb and me at least some time to talk it over and decide what to do. But Domynyk’s right about how dangerous it could be to give her any reason to distrust us.”

His mind ran back over that same conversation, and he felt a fresh flicker of astonishment even now.

Oh, Please Mighty Wizard W.

Could you put Owl's recording on line?
I think it would be a smashing YouTube hit.
The abstinents are right,
but only the drinkers know why
― Simon Carmiggelt
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:36 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I'm hoping Nynian turns into an honorable enemy. She can forge the CoGA heirarchy into an organization that serves people rather that subjugates and preys on them. If she discovers reasons to act against Merlin et al, she will act in ways that are within her core moral code until the good guys force her to abandon that code which is very unlikely.

I can see her using Charis as an example both of what to emulate and what to avoid to persuade Duchairn to follow her advice in reconstructing the CoGA. Should this transpire, it would be the height of poetic justice if Merlin and Nynian fall in love. Lover's on opposites sides of an honorable struggle. Perfect!
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

Fun!

I'll be oiling my time machine so I can skip forward 10 months or so to the release of the book.

I just hope I don't hit the backwards switch. Imagine I'd have to wait even longer!
Post by n7axw   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:40 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:The Brethren's Inner Circle only started centuries after the death of Jeremiah and Evelyn Knowles.

IE they hide the information in the monastery but nobody accessed the information for centuries.

Now the secret group that Aivah is part of may have been active (ie it's knowledge was known) long before anybody opened Jeremiah's hidden library.

So whoever started this second secret group may have been around at the same time as Jeremiah and Evelyn Knowles, but they started the second secret group before the Brethren opened Jeremiah's library.

Don

Ok, that makes sense. I think that the time for opening the journal was 400 years...wasn't it?

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by alj_sf   » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:17 pm

alj_sf
Commander

More information is very good, but RFC was very careful to release only as little as possible ! :shock: :twisted:

So that is another centuries old org, and Khody is probably a founder/important member. I start to suspect they may in fact not based in Zion but perhaps in Siddar which may explain some things.

The important questions I see are as following :

- What are the long term goals ? They seem different than the Brethen's ones.
- What are the every day actions and strategy ? Staying hidden this deep is very very hard, if you do any activity, not only collating info. And we know from prior textev that Inquisition is not aware of the existence of this opponent. But they are very active if they striked back against rioters.

A point I notice is that there is no evidence so far it is one of the Shan-wei groups seeds. It obviously come from the war of the fallen, but could originate from one of the loosing sides and that could be a serious problem if their goals are not compatible. They may want to restore the church to a state prior the addition of the Schuller books. Why I think this ? They striked against inquisition worst parts and followers.

Return to Safehold