Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #1

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #1
Post by emeye   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:56 am

emeye
Commander

Well, there is still that one other person who knew about the vest pocket nuke attack on Langhorne and friends; who may or may not have perished in that attack; who may or may not have been Schueler; who may or may not be seijin Khody; who may or may not be an example of a herring of the red persuasion

Brog wrote:This snippet opens up so many possibilities :o

pokermind wrote:
A real plot twist would be the Group was founded by the real Schuler of the memory stone, not the psychopath who wrote the Book of Schuler ;)

Poker

And maybe Schuler = Khody, and being a mortal person, must sleep in stasis and come out every few decades/hundred of years to check on the state of Safehold (and whether the Safeholdians in general is ready for the truth).

During the times when he is awake and out, he takes on the persona of Khody which may explain why his stories are so spread out in the ages.

I was thinking he may have set the 1000 year awakening event to his descendants so that he himself have a hard deadline to work on revealing the truth to Safehold. I could imagine him waking up to find Seijin Merlin already done his work for him :)
Post by jgnfld   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:35 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Ahh...more of "Good Cop Scheuler" as opposed to "Bad Cop Scheuler"???!!! Certainly he seems a bit schizoid.

runsforcelery wrote:

Who says they've been conducting "active operations" for a huge amount of time? And who says they were organized or trained by "newbies"? I certainly haven't said anything to that effect. Can you point me at any place in textev where I have?

I would point out that there are organization and then there are organizations, and that you are making certain assumptions about any putative organization to which Aivah may or may not belong. Inclluding the assumption that just because they have nmounted no known operations against the Inqusition they must have "newbies" in command. Frankly, I think to some extent that this suggests certain prejudices (in the sense of pre-judgments) in your basic model.

Suppose, for a moment, that there was a secret organization which had been hidden for a couple of hundred years (or more), during which it had erected a defense in depth against revealing its presence while very quietly and clandestinely collecting information on a known intelligence agency. And suppose, for just a moment, that said secret organization possessed the means to insert its own personnel into the known intelligence agency. And suppose, for just a moment, that those infiltrated agents spent a hundred years or so learning the techniques of the known intelligence services without ever carrying out an overt operation against the known intelligence agency. And suppose that those folks who learned those techniques were available to teach them to your "newbies," while simultaneously passing along the institutional experience of their enemy learned while actively in the service of and running operation for that enemy.

Now, I am not saying which, or how much, if any, of the above suppositions are relevant to Safehold, but it does rather suggest how at least some of your concerns could be answered, does it not? :twisted:
Post by Lazalarlives   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:55 am

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Jgnfld,
Is it schizoid, or was he (like myself) the only one in a group that had studied medieval history closely? I was an interrogator for the Army and that made me delve into the history of my profession. While I never used - and never would have used - torture or such devices, I was one of a handful of people that knew what a 'thumbscrew' was or how a rack worked.
If he was a historian or (more likely) an intelligence type, it is very possible he was asked to compile a report on medieval torture devices - possibly to outlaw them - and didn't realize what that research would become. That could result in a nice guy with a horrid book in his name. Because, of course, nobody wants the blame for that gore-fest.
So he's blamed, but he wants to make sure that 'his' book isn't abused. So he sets up his family (the Wylsynns) and some other safeguards, quietly (he was an intel type, y'know).

Anyhow, sometimes you get a scapegoat - and sometimes the goat tries to kick back.

Just a WAG, but it'd be cool if it was true.
Dave
Post by bunyipbelle   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:19 am

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you RFC for the fascinating snippet. I am really looking forward to reading about what happens next.
Post by Thrandir   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:39 am

Thrandir
Commander

Thanks RFC - though waiting until 2015 is going to be a killer :(

This snippet is on the way to confirming something I have had bubbling away in my mind - saying that though I have a feeling you have another lovely twist for us all.
Post by Seawolf509   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Seawolf509
Captain of the List

Well, Well Well,

Seems someone else has been keeping information from the day of creation and prior for people to access later.

Though I find it very interesting that she says the two of them were the exact same height and width of shoulder.

I don't remember reading that she took a tape measure to them so how could she know that for certain?
Post by phillies   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:01 pm

phillies
Admiral

Seawolf509 wrote:Well, Well Well,

Seems someone else has been keeping information from the day of creation and prior for people to access later.

Though I find it very interesting that she says the two of them were the exact same height and width of shoulder.

I don't remember reading that she took a tape measure to them so how could she know that for certain?

She looks. She knows how to size clothing. There is no problem.
Post by Seawolf509   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Seawolf509
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:
Seawolf509 wrote:Well, Well Well,

She looks. She knows how to size clothing. There is no problem.

But you need points of reference to determine size.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Maybe not if you are a lady interested in looking good and have been "sizing" all your life. Looking might be enough.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

Wow - I've been away from the forums for a bit, and come back to such a wonderful snippet; and I've been trying to decide whether I should post thoughts on this first one - or read the others first. And I've decided to be good and comment here first, rather than turning to the end of the book!

I doubt I can add significantly to what others have speculated, but we know that the Wylsynns have multi-generational networks seeking to reform the Church by peaceful means; so it seems entirely plausible that there could be at least one other multi-generational group building an information network, infiltrating the inquisition, building a covert ops force etc. I'm thinking here of the Dahak series and how 'modern humans' were recruited within families to support the 'Imperials'. It's more challenging to think who or what would provide the 'Imperial' background and training at the Nunnery - but you could speculate; eg one of the Archangel' team such as Sheuler getting a crisis of conscience, and using suspended animation to re-appear every 50 years?

Anyway, looking forward to the next snippets - and of course to reading the book as soon as it appears next year

Return to Safehold