Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #1

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #1
Post by dwileye13   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:26 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:We already know that Aivah is the daughter of the current Grand Vicar.

BobG wrote:I'm suddenly curious if Nimue is close to Aivah in size and shape. Could she go to Zion for her?

I'm also curious if Aivah (or her assistant) is the thousand year visitor? It could be that they could be as limited as Merlin in capabilities, unless they were willing to unleash the Rakurai.

-- Bob G

Or . . . . that is the cover story!
I am not young enough to know everything!
Post by dwileye13   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:30 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

Earldrygulch wrote:
dwileye13 wrote:Now doesn't that inject some space for a wide variety of speculation.

Thank you RFC and best wishes to Sharon.

It looks like she might as well mbe admitted to the inner circle - seeing as how she's figured out far more than is otherwise safe otherwise.

Perhaps she is part of another inner circle. That information has to come from some source. Aviah seems to be a person of Faith adjunct to the management of the CoGA.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:34 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Without more information to the contrary, I tend to believe Adorai Dynnys's story. :)

dwileye13 wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:We already know that Aivah is the daughter of the current Grand Vicar.

Or . . . . that is the cover story!
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by dwileye13   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:39 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

[quote="DrakBibliophile"]Without more information to the contrary, I tend to believe Adorai Dynnys's story. :)

[quote="DrakBibliophile"]

Alas yes, but the sport speculation is the entertainment we have available..
Post by BarryKirk   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:29 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

First,

Thank you RFC. That was one of the best snippets I've ever read. It really sets the stage for a whole book. ;)

So now I have to ask the question, will Sejin Kody be making an appearance in this book?

It's interesting that the only non Merlin sejin that we even know the name of is Kody. But according to Aivah, Kody is the only non official sejin.
Post by BarryKirk   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:37 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

And of course, that next project is a third Multiverse book... Well, look on the bright side guys.

Honorverse is going to have to wait on Multiverse now.

And we can look forward to double the number of snippets... Multiverse and Safehold... :lol:
Post by AClone   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:22 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

No need for wild speculation. All of the comments are easily explained by the fact that she has access to documents that are otherwise generally not in circulation, redacted hundreds of years ago. In other words, a rather old archive.

And perhaps, in another month or two, we'll find out. ;)
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:58 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

I rather agree with Thanatos... nothing in this snippet is a slam dunk that she's had access to even limited Terran knowledge. We also see no evidence (yet) that she believes the whole church is a lie... just that the current management is vile.

Nothing precludes the other way, either... her convent could have been an offshoot from a re-educated colonist, but without the hard text evidence that the Charisian branch had. Without that, the best the long-gone colonist could have attempted without being destroyed for heresy was to instill a sense of general questioning.

Also agree with everyone proclaiming this one of the best snippets ever. :) And to think... if the book just gets better from here (like they usually do), then this will be one awesome ride. :mrgreen:
Post by Lazalarlives   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Lazalarlives
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

BarryKirk wrote:First,

Thank you RFC. That was one of the best snippets I've ever read. It really sets the stage for a whole book. ;)

So now I have to ask the question, will Sejin Kody be making an appearance in this book?

It's interesting that the only non Merlin sejin that we even know the name of is Kody. But according to Aivah, Kody is the only non official sejin.

Barry,
I think it's pretty obvious why everyone knows Seijin Cody and nobody talks about the other Seijins. Cody was a character - he told jokes, did memorable things, and was very flamboyant. Aivah states that the other seijin are more subdued and dour. They simply don't make good stories. There were hundreds of men who hunted buffalo and worked at the conquest of the West - but aside from Buffalo Bill Cody and Wild Bill Hickok how many can you name that weren't lawmen or outlaws? It's a function of humanity, especially semi-oral and fully oral history to keep the flamboyant and forget the, well, forgettable and staid.

As to why he was expunged from the official record, well, everyone knows that the COGA is all about conformity and obedience. Tricksters are no good for that message.

Just my two bits,
Dave
Post by BrightSoul   » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:42 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

First off, amazing snippet sir! How long have you been waiting to drop that one? :D

I just had a wide thought. Sejin Khody = The compassionate version of Schueler we meet in the Wilson heirloom and not the author of the book he wrote?

It would be a wicked twist and a great weapon to discredit the current Schuelerite Leadership.

Return to Safehold