Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:31 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Not in sequence, of course. :twisted:

-----------------------------------------------------

“Yes, Pawal?” Hahlcahm Bahrns looked up from the last of his scrambled eggs as Trynt Sevyrs, his steward, admitted Lieutenant Blahdysnberg to his day cabin. The overhead oil lamp cast shadows on the lieutenant’s face, dusting the puckered scar on his cheek, picked up courtesy of a ricocheting rifle bullet during the Canal Raid, with darkness.

“The picket boat just brought word, Sir. The engineers say they got the charges placed.”

“Did they?” Bahrns laid down his fork, reached for his hot chocolate, and sipped deeply. Then he lowered the mug. “How many did they lose?” he asked in a much quieter tone.

“None of them, apparently.”

None of them?”

Bahrns blinked. He hadn’t been able to refute Admiral Shain’s logic, and the advantages if the mission succeeded were amply worth the risk, but he’d never believed the engineers could pull it off without losing someone.

“According to the coxswain who delivered the message, they did come pretty close to losing at least one man, Sir,” Blahdysnberg admitted. “But they got him nack in the end and it sounds like he’s going to be fine after all.”

“And they got all the charges placed?”

“That’s what they say, Sir. And I’m ready to take the word of anyone with big enough balls to even try setting them, myself. And the lieutenant in charge — a Lieutenant—” he glanced at the note in his hand, turning it to catch the lamplight “— Bryahnsyn, it says — lit all the fuses right on the dot at five-thirty.”

“Can’t say I disagree with you about the size of their balls,” Bahrns conceded. Then he hauled out his pocket watch and consulted it carefully. “If he lit them off at five-thirty, I make it another forty minutes or so, assuming the fuses are cut right.” He closed the watch with a snap. “That being so, I suppose it’s time we cleared for action.”

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:37 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Such a tease!

That said, always glad to see more. Thank you!
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks MWW! More fodder for the imagination...

Kind of reminds me of the scene from 1633 where scuba divers placed charges on the hulls of the Danish (IIRC) ships near Leubeck. Doubt they've got scuba here, though, of course... hmm...
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:23 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Well, MWW has discussed making gases on here before, and we have all discussed the making and using of hydogen and oxygen here, which he seemed to be particularly quiet about, so..... make of that what you will....

NervousEnergy wrote:Thanks MWW! More fodder for the imagination...

Kind of reminds me of the scene from 1633 where scuba divers placed charges on the hulls of the Danish (IIRC) ships near Leubeck. Doubt they've got scuba here, though, of course... hmm...
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Icarium   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:47 am

Icarium
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I don't think it's scuba. Though I could be wrong, of course. For one reason.

In low-tech scuba gear, if there's a fault in the system? You don't get hurt. You tend to -die-. Though at least there's likely to be a safety valve so if the line is faulty you don't end up in your helmet. ;)

He mentioned someone hurt, so I lean against scuba.
Post by Alistair   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:02 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Thanks DW :)
Post by pokermind   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:14 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

“According to the coxswain who delivered the message, they did come pretty close to losing at least one man, Sir,” Blahdysnberg admitted. “But they got him nack in the end and it sounds like he’s going to be fine after all.”

Typo? Should it be:

“According to the coxswain who delivered the message, they did come pretty close to losing at least one man, Sir,” Blahdysnberg admitted. “But they got him back in the end and it sounds like he’s going to be fine after all.”

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Thank you!!
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Frankjg   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:19 am

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Oh My God!

What trouble is our ironclad captain up to again? Someone is about to get a spanking again! :shock:
Post by Bodrules   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Bodrules
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Mmm, so some barrier is about to become so much in fill, is this paving the way for a Zeebrugger type raid? :twisted:

Return to Safehold