Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 83 guests

Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:54 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

MWadwell wrote:
AirTech wrote:(SNIP)

HMS Krait in Singapore anyone....

HMAS Krait - see https://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=2171

Thinking out loud

Can't really see this as a Zeebrugge Raid type attack, that was trying to close a port and keep shipping in whereas the ICN would just love Dohlaran shipping to leave port. Similarly an in-port diver attack on enemy warships only really makes sense where you are keen not to face said ship in battle.

Besides scuba gear joins the list of those things, like naval mines and torpedoes, they would rather not encourage the other side to think about right now IMHO.

It's an attack being conducted by engineers with naval transport which requires lots of courage and anticipated casualties in order to make the job of Bahrnes' ironclad significantly easier. They used used pretty long fuses. So,presumably, they didn't think the charges were likely to be spotted once they were in place.

Use of engineers suggests charge placement required special skill. It's not going to be a lock gate; they want to preserve those. Could be a big boom across a port entrance, to let Bahrnes in. Might be dropping a hillside above a defending battery on top of it. Don't think they could get close enough to blow the battery itself.

One thing for sure, we are not going to get the answer till the book appears.
Post by jgnfld   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 am

jgnfld
Captain of the List

Victorian/turn-of-the-last-century era rebreathers are quite within the range of the tech. They are terribly simple--though a tad dangerous to use.

NervousEnergy wrote:Thanks MWW! More fodder for the imagination...

Kind of reminds me of the scene from 1633 where scuba divers placed charges on the hulls of the Danish (IIRC) ships near Leubeck. Doubt they've got scuba here, though, of course... hmm...
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:53 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Randomiser,

Kudos for your typical excellent analysis. :D

I concur its probably a boom, and given Barns' last known operations area was the Thesmar Gulf of Mathyas to prevent anyone advancing further up the seawater section of the eastern Salthar canal.

A boom is a tactic to be expected if the CoGA can no longer use the canal, a result of the ICN blockade.

It's possible this could be in the gulf of Dohlar, or up some river in Siddarmark, but Silkiah makes the most sense to me.

Destroying a coastal battery seems unlikely given the likely cannon being only 25 pounders, easily defeated or deflected by the ironclad's armor.

L

Randomiser wrote:
MWadwell wrote:**quote="AirTech"**
(SNIP)

HMS Krait in Singapore anyone....**/quote**

HMAS Krait - see https://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=2171

Thinking out loud

Can't really see this as a Zeebrugge Raid type attack, that was trying to close a port and keep shipping in whereas the ICN would just love Dohlaran shipping to leave port. Similarly an in-port diver attack on enemy warships only really makes sense where you are keen not to face said ship in battle.

Besides scuba gear joins the list of those things, like naval mines and torpedoes, they would rather not encourage the other side to think about right now IMHO.

It's an attack being conducted by engineers with naval transport which requires lots of courage and anticipated casualties in order to make the job of Bahrnes' ironclad significantly easier. They used used pretty long fuses. So,presumably, they didn't think the charges were likely to be spotted once they were in place.

Use of engineers suggests charge placement required special skill. It's not going to be a lock gate; they want to preserve those. Could be a big boom across a port entrance, to let Bahrnes in. Might be dropping a hillside above a defending battery on top of it. Don't think they could get close enough to blow the battery itself.

One thing for sure, we are not going to get the answer till the book appears.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Chemechie   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Chemechie
Ensign

I suspect it is a small craft demolition operation to preface a bombardment or landing, likely going up against part of Thirsk's defenses since they are the only ones worthy of the name.
As far as rebreathers? HELL NO! They are very dangerous with modern technology and computer controls - even with Merlin & Howsymns help, the chemical quality and workmanship just isn't there yet.
As others have pointed out, it isn't necessary since in the dark boats can and have done this job several times (for example, HMS Destiny's many raids) and it is a technology more easily used AGAINST Charis than by it.
Post by cadastral   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:25 pm

cadastral
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Direwolf18 wrote:Yay I love Captain Bahrns, he is frigging awesome. I really hope we get a scene were he gets a message telling he is relieved of command immediately pending re-assignment in Old Charis, where bam he is handed they keys of the King Haraald.

But I wonder, maybe scuba, maybe other frogman like activity. We shall see...

Do battleships have ignition keys?
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:37 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

cadastral wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Yay I love Captain Bahrns, he is frigging awesome. I really hope we get a scene were he gets a message telling he is relieved of command immediately pending re-assignment in Old Charis, where bam he is handed they keys of the King Haraald.

Hi Cadastral, only metaphorically, I suspect.

Hope you enjoy the forum.
Post by emeye   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:38 am

emeye
Commander

cadastral wrote:

Of course they do. How else do you crank the engine on?

D'oh!

(just kidding :) )
Post by MWadwell   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 pm

MWadwell
Captain (Junior Grade)

cadastral wrote:

Why not, the nuclear reactor that I work at has a key.

Of course, driving it around the car park is a little tricky..... :lol:

Later,
Matt
Post by pokermind   » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

In the steam era a throttle valve actually :D But the Captain will have his telegraph on the bridge to order the snipes to move the throttle valve ;)

Poker

cadastral wrote:

CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by laz   » Sun May 04, 2014 1:55 pm

laz
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

lyonheart wrote:Hi Randomiser,

Kudos for your typical excellent analysis. :D

I concur its probably a boom, and given Barns' last known operations area was the Thesmar Gulf of Mathyas to prevent anyone advancing further up the seawater section of the eastern Salthar canal.

A boom is a tactic to be expected if the CoGA can no longer use the canal, a result of the ICN blockade.

It's possible this could be in the gulf of Dohlar, or up some river in Siddarmark, but Silkiah makes the most sense to me.

Destroying a coastal battery seems unlikely given the likely cannon being only 25 pounders, easily defeated or deflected by the ironclad's armor.

Admiral Shain talking about ops in the gulf

“Eventually,” the admiral said instead, looking around the table once more, “we’ll move the blockade inside Mahrosa Bay itself. With any luck, we’ll be able to shut down the east end of the Mahrosa Canal completely. I’d like to land raiding parties to blow up the locks, but Mahrosa’s a major town with a garrison to match, so I’ll settle for putting them out of action with Captain Abernethy’s angle-guns.”

Excerpt From: David Weber. “Like a Mighty Army.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/MTdhP.l

Thats my opinion and i am sticking to it. altho i expect the plan changes
from simple destruction to something more interesting. what bothers me
is why bother with a raiding party if the angle guns can do the same job.

laz

laz

Return to Safehold