Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 66 guests

Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Yay I love Captain Bahrns, he is frigging awesome. I really hope we get a scene were he gets a message telling he is relieved of command immediately pending re-assignment in Old Charis, where bam he is handed they keys of the King Haraald.

But I wonder, maybe scuba, maybe other frogman like activity. We shall see...
Post by BobG   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:12 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

Direwolf18 wrote:Yay I love Captain Bahrns, he is frigging awesome. I really hope we get a scene were he gets a message telling he is relieved of command immediately pending re-assignment in Old Charis, where bam he is handed they keys of the King Haraald.

It occurred to me that, when you mentioned SCUBA, there is some older tech that they have all the pieces for. They already have compressors, hoses, valves, and metalworking. How much work would it be to put together a diving helmet? They were invented in the 1820s. For use in shallow water, they work fairly well, although the weights slow you down, and you can't bend over much. I even used one as a tourist in Bermuda many years ago. At the time, the dive shop pointed out they keep your hair dry :D

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Joat42
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Not in sequence, of course. :twisted:

I think we need to revoke your license to use the emoticon :twisted: until HFQ is published... ;)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by KNick   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:26 pm

KNick
Admiral

Help! I am not as avid a reader of Safehold as I am of the Honorverse. For the life of me, I can't remember where Adm. Shain is now or where he is supposed to go.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by AClone   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:48 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

Considering they also spent time talking about the size of balls in this passage, I'm going to guess that getting someone "nack in the end" could be a painful experience. :lol:

I'm going to rule out SCUBA altogether. This clearly was a night operation, with slow burning fuses. Nighttime is NOT the "time" for a "first" underwater op.

I'm going to guess instead that there is something like a cliff face involved, and even modest rappelling on a pitch black night seems like an experience where you might expect to "lose" at least one person.

BTW--thank you, RFC. How is the story progressing?
Last edited by AClone on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by kbus888   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:52 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/03/30=

LAMA
Sep/896
VIII

HMS Powerful, 58
Jahras Island
Gulf of Jahras
Desnairian Empire

(I don't have a page number for you!!)

R

KNick wrote:Help! I am not as avid a reader of Safehold as I am of the Honorverse. For the life of me, I can't remember where Adm. Shain is now or where he is supposed to go.
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by KNick   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm

KNick
Admiral

kbus888 wrote:=2014/03/30=

LAMA
Sep/896
VIII

HMS Powerful, 58
Jahras Island
Gulf of Jahras
Desnairian Empire

(I don't have a page number for you!!)

R

KNick wrote:Help! I am not as avid a reader of Safehold as I am of the Honorverse. For the life of me, I can't remember where Adm. Shain is now or where he is supposed to go.

Thank you. I wasn't looking far enough back to find it. I kept thinking it was closer to the end of the book.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Yup Admiral Shain was off making life... interesting for the Desnarians, in particular burning out their little shipyards/ports for privateers.

He was planning on capturing a smallish port to use as a base... What was its name...

Edit:

Handryl. He is thinking about seizing Handryl and using it as a home port.
Post by AirTech   » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:35 pm

AirTech
Captain of the List

robertamgottlieb wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Yay I love Captain Bahrns, he is frigging awesome. I really hope we get a scene were he gets a message telling he is relieved of command immediately pending re-assignment in Old Charis, where bam he is handed they keys of the King Haraald.

It occurred to me that, when you mentioned SCUBA, there is some older tech that they have all the pieces for. They already have compressors, hoses, valves, and metalworking. How much work would it be to put together a diving helmet? They were invented in the 1820s. For use in shallow water, they work fairly well, although the weights slow you down, and you can't bend over much. I even used one as a tourist in Bermuda many years ago. At the time, the dive shop pointed out they keep your hair dry :D

-- Bob G

Demand regulators were Jacques Cousteau's addition to the equipment set available prior to WWI, high pressure forged and spun steel gas cylinders were available in the late 1800's. Making gas cylinders is very similar to making artillery shells so one could lead to the other. Rebreather closed circuit systems could be another option for attacks on surface craft at anchor - and night, because that is when ships tend to anchor and visibility of near surface divers and canoes is minimal, would be a good time to make such an attack - HMS Krait in Singapore anyone....
Post by MWadwell   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:58 am

MWadwell
Captain (Junior Grade)

AirTech wrote:(SNIP)

HMS Krait in Singapore anyone....

HMAS Krait - see https://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=2171

Later,
Matt

Return to Safehold