Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests

A Teeny snippet from HFQ (spoiler)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A Teeny snippet from HFQ (spoiler)
Post by phillies   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:29 am

phillies
Admiral

Slushy wet snow that did not brush off, it being late in the winter and not cold enough.

pablopinzone wrote:Surprised no one pointed this out:
the heavy, utilitarian coat hanging from his coat tree — like the boots and heavy woolen stockings she’d slipped from slim, pedicured feet and set before the fire — was soaked with melting snow

So where are the wet footprints outside Merlin's door? Why did she not shake the snow off downstairs?

Did she come in via the window?
Post by pushmar   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:12 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

Forgive me, Sir Pawal Mycyrtny

She came in through the guest-room window
protected by a silver spoon
but now she's stripped and dripping snow-melt
by the fire, in old merlin's room.

Yeah, yeah, I know ...
Post by pablopinzone   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 pm

pablopinzone
Ensign

schoeffelk wrote:I have said this before but it does bear repeating. Ahbraim was Merlin's first attempt at another seijin. He used Silkian language but would fall back to his/her old mannerisms and language patterns. Aivah was cognizant of his initial appearance and questioned her employee later. She was more observant after Ahbraim confronted her and her poison necklace. Aivah watches everything. That is why she and her predecessors have survived over the years. They are overly suspicious. She watches everyone and everything that involves her. She may have heard stories from her predecessor as to what could be expected in the future from Shan-wei's quiver. The organization she is part of only picks the best and brightest for advancement. She is grooming someone to succeed her. I believe Major Phandys is her inside operative. She wants to rescue Ducharyn (sp) if Clyntan try to have him assassinated. He would then proclaim the depravities of Clyntan and Aivah would release her files.
What say you?

While I am not sure about Major Phandys, I agree with this characterization.
Plus, she will have very little notice on the need to get to Zion, and needs to make a round trip in less than 1 day. Merlin has effectively destroyed the semaphore network in Siddmark and any 'pony express' will take days if not 5 days to get a message to her from Zion. So she has some other means of receiving communications within hours. That implies an organization with substantial resources, even if it does not have Fed tech. Such a group would likely have included breaking and entering in its training.
Post by DennisLee   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:41 pm

DennisLee
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

pablopinzone wrote:... Plus, she will have very little notice on the need to get to Zion, and needs to make a round trip in less than 1 day. Merlin has effectively destroyed the semaphore network in Siddmark and any 'pony express' will take days if not 5 days to get a message to her from Zion. So she has some other means of receiving communications within hours. ...

Oh! That's a very good point! How is she going to know that she needs to make an urgent trip to Zion? Does she have some means of high speed communications? Is there going to be some spectral or meteorological event that will trigger that need?

The plot thickens ...
Post by phillies   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 am

phillies
Admiral

Perhaps there will someday be another snippet. Perhaps even weekly.

Based on the hypothesis, for which there is no evidence, that the first word of the next paragraph is "paroxysm", The author will keep us busy guessing until about week five or six, when the "x" and "y" will be fairly suggestive.

Back on topic, the yes, I need one day travel tends to mean yes I can get data out in under a day.
Post by Abaddon   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Abaddon
Commander

DennisLee wrote:Oh! That's a very good point! How is she going to know that she needs to make an urgent trip to Zion? Does she have some means of high speed communications? Is there going to be some spectral or meteorological event that will trigger that need?

One can hypothesize an event known to occur at a future time. Perhaps warning was sent well in advance but didn't make it to her until very late because of the disruption to the Semaphore network. So she gets it and the only way she can act on it is if Merlin can get her there immediately...

Really, there are a thousand possible explanations for all of this, which is why Mr Weber is so ready to give us this nugget early and let us stew for so long... :mrgreen:
Post by tootall   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:10 pm

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

["phillies"]Perhaps there will someday be another snippet.

My guess would be more snippets-and like last year---OUT OF ORDER. :shock:
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:05 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Pablopinzone,

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your favorite simulated beverage on the forum.

Where does Aivah say she needs to make a round trip in a day?

Get to Zion in less than a day, yes; but nothing about returning so quickly.

This an example of thread drift and one reason RFC laughs so much up his sleeve at all the errant theories that have strayed from what the snippet actually said.

Thread drift is a given, but can we make our comments more relevant?

L

pablopinzone wrote:
schoeffelk wrote:I have said this before but it does bear repeating. Ahbraim was Merlin's first attempt at another seijin. He used Silkian language but would fall back to his/her old mannerisms and language patterns. Aivah was cognizant of his initial appearance and questioned her employee later. She was more observant after Ahbraim confronted her and her poison necklace. Aivah watches everything. That is why she and her predecessors have survived over the years. They are overly suspicious. She watches everyone and everything that involves her. She may have heard stories from her predecessor as to what could be expected in the future from Shan-wei's quiver. The organization she is part of only picks the best and brightest for advancement. She is grooming someone to succeed her. I believe Major Phandys is her inside operative. She wants to rescue Ducharyn (sp) if Clyntan try to have him assassinated. He would then proclaim the depravities of Clyntan and Aivah would release her files.
What say you?

While I am not sure about Major Phandys, I agree with this characterization.
Plus, she will have very little notice on the need to get to Zion, and needs to make a round trip in less than 1 day. Merlin has effectively destroyed the semaphore network in Siddmark and any 'pony express' will take days if not 5 days to get a message to her from Zion. So she has some other means of receiving communications within hours. That implies an organization with substantial resources, even if it does not have Fed tech. Such a group would likely have included breaking and entering in its training.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by pablopinzone   » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 pm

pablopinzone
Ensign

lyonheart wrote:Hi Pablopinzone,

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your favorite simulated beverage on the forum.

Where does Aivah say she needs to make a round trip in a day?

Get to Zion in less than a day, yes; but nothing about returning so quickly.
snip

Lyonheart, Thanks.

Here is what I read pp 583/584.
What she says
"I need you to get me into Zion and back again. Quickly."
"And 'quickly' means making the entire trip within the space of, oh a day or so."

To mean that means there and back in a day, although it could be a bit longer.
Post by tourist   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 am

tourist
Lieutenant Commander

Here's a random thought, all of those old pre-Merlin Sejiin stories had to come from somewhere, so has Merlin's "sejiin network" just been busted by the REAL sejiin network? Note the absences of the commonly used sejiin references.

runsforcelery wrote:All right. I'm not ready to being posting spoilers yet, and I won't be for quite some time, given how far I am from completing the book and the fact that I'm moving events around even in the portion I've already finished. Having said that, I decided to give you a tiny snippet. :lol:

-----------------------------------

Merlin Athrawes Chamber,
Charisian Embassy,
Siddar City,
Republic of Siddarmark.

The angry, shingle-lifting background bluster of snow-laden wind roaring about the eaves only made the sudden, profound silence in the modest bedchamber even more complete. The slight sound as a coal settled on the hearth seemed almost deafening, and Merlin Athrawes stood very still, shoulders against the door he’d just closed behind him, sapphire eyes gazing intently through the fire-flickered dimness at the slender woman in the single chair beside that hearth.

The woman who had just called him “Ahbraim.”

Which, he reflected, made the question of how she’d managed to get by the alert sentinels guarding the Charisian Embassy here in the heart of Siddar City rather secondary.

The firelight struck subdued highlights from her dark hair, and the heavy, utilitarian coat hanging from his coat tree — like the boots and heavy woolen stockings she’d slipped from slim, pedicured feet and set before the fire — was soaked with melting snow. She was quite possibly the most beautiful woman he’d ever met and he could smell the subtle sweetness of her perfume, but neither of those were what held him so still.

“Why,” he asked after a moment, in a tone which sounded considerably calmer than he actually felt, “did you call me that, Madam Pahrsahn?” He cocked his head, expression puzzled. “I assume it’s a reference to Master Zhevons?”

“You really are very good,” Aivah Pahrsahn — who had once been known as Ahnzhelyk Phonda, among many other names — said approvingly. “Why, you could almost — almost, I say — convince me. But you can’t, you know. I’ve been watching you for too long.”
Last edited by tourist on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Safehold