Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 76 guests

A Teeny snippet from HFQ (spoiler)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A Teeny snippet from HFQ (spoiler)
Post by Earldrygulch   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 am

Earldrygulch
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Direwolf18 wrote:Ok thought here.

We heard rumors about SNARCS in control of the temple, the inquisitions rumored ability to monitor any conversation.

What if its not the inquisition that has control of the SNARCs but another descendant of an Arch Angle, one who was able to steal control of them from her Grand Vicar father.

I don't think so because she's asking Merlin for transportation. The simple answer is that she knows that Merlin can move fast, but does not know just how he does it. Also, if the Vicars had SNARCs they would use them, which they are not.
Post by Earldrygulch   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 am

Earldrygulch

PeterZ wrote:
pushmar wrote:"I've been watching you too long."

Oh, she has, has she?

Let the cruel teasing begin! Mr. Weber, thanks, and I expect I'll speculate a bit about this. Too bad books take so long to write, but its beginning to look like it'll be worth the wait.

That's the key sentence. Watching is the key word.

watch [ woch ]

1.observe: to look at and keep your attention on something or somebody over a period of time
2.keep lookout: to keep a lookout for something that might appear or happen
3.monitor something or somebody: to keep something or somebody under observation as a protective measure, to gather information, or to exert control

Does RFC mean 1 or 3 and does it matter? -rubs hands-

If he means 1, then Aivah personally has observed Merlin/Ahbraim/et al for a long time. This is the obvious interpretation.

If he means 3, then someone or something has been watching Merlin's seijin crew. Trouble is that Aivah wouldn't use watching in this context because Safehold doesn't have the tech to see things beyond the observer's physical visual range. The connotation wouldn't occur to a Safeholdian to use under observation synonymously with personally watching.

Yet, Aivah did use watching and not under observation to describe her source of knowledge. Even if she knowingly used the term to mean under observation, it implies she has knowledge that other means of viewing from a distance are possible. Sure, rumors credit Merlin nwith visions of far away things. Unless she had those capabilities it wouldn't be wise to tweek a seijin's tail who does have those skills. Her crew might be subject to more intense scrutiny.

All of this conjecture suggests Aivah does have knowledge of Terran Federation Tech. That suggests she belongs to a group like Shan-wei's seedlings or Schueler's progeny. I doubt her group has many doodads, but she has access to some.

That would explain her knowledge.
Post by AClone   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:32 pm

AClone
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:
Getting past the guards is one thing. Getting past the guards AND using the bootscraper is quite another. ;)

Merlin assumed the footprints were from the servant bringing in coal for the fire in his room and so paid no attention to them?

I remember in one crucial scene in a certain populat Young Adult series, the bad guy (THE Bad Guy) walks into an office of the Head Good Guy, and brushes snow off his shoulders. I remember thinking, "He just walked through a massive castle, and up seven flights of stairs, and the snow still hasn't melted yet? Who is he trying to fool???"

I suppose that it's nice that Aivah feel comfy taking off both her her boots and her stockings. I'd almost wonder if she's a bit curious about Aibrahm's...other capabilities. :lol:
Post by tootall   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:43 pm

tootall
Captain (Junior Grade)

How cool is it that RFC is willing to read our wonderings and send us a snippit?

Thank you so much- (To quote Charlie Chan)
Post by Alistair   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Wow!

now we just need to wait the rest of the year for the next one!
Post by Frankjg   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Frankjg

Oh My! Oh My!

What does she know and what does she want?

Interesting times ahead with her and Merlin.
Post by Borky   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Borky
Ensign

I had a gut feeling she was that good and smart when Nahrmahn was greatly impressed and underestimated her capabilities earlier in the series. Another similar comparison between her and Nahrmahn exists elsewhere in science fiction on the old TV show Firefly:
Simon: "I am very smart. I went to the best Medacad in Osiris, top three percent of my class, finished my internship in eight months. "Gifted" is the term. So when I tell you that my little sister makes me look like an idiot child, I want you to understand my full meaning."
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

AClone wrote:(SNIP)
I suppose that it's nice that Aivah feel comfy taking off both her her boots and her stockings. I'd almost wonder if she's a bit curious about Aibrahm's...other capabilities. :lol:

It is a very good sign. If she was threatened or uneasy about Merlin after deciphering his other identities she probably wouldn't take her shoes and stockings off.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:35 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Henry Brown,

Yup having the boots and stockings off seems a good sign.

Are we looking at an Ann Bancroft of 'The Graduate' moment of attempted seduction? ;)

Then Aivah's or Nynian is definitely not hostile, of course the great female assassins would start off that way... ;)

I can't help wondering if the reason Merlin hasn't yelped for help from Nahrmahn, OWL and or Nimue is that he doesn't want any at the moment...

But is someone like OWL (and thus Nahrmahn) already watching?

Feel free to disagree.

L

Henry Brown wrote:
AClone wrote:(SNIP)

It is a very good sign. If she was threatened or uneasy about Merlin after deciphering his other identities she probably wouldn't take her shoes and stockings off.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by schoeffelk   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:09 am

schoeffelk

I have said this before but it does bear repeating. Ahbraim was Merlin's first attempt at another seijin. He used Silkian language but would fall back to his/her old mannerisms and language patterns. Aivah was cognizant of his initial appearance and questioned her employee later. She was more observant after Ahbraim confronted her and her poison necklace. Aivah watches everything. That is why she and her predecessors have survived over the years. They are overly suspicious. She watches everyone and everything that involves her. She may have heard stories from her predecessor as to what could be expected in the future from Shan-wei's quiver. The organization she is part of only picks the best and brightest for advancement. She is grooming someone to succeed her. I believe Major Phandys is her inside operative. She wants to rescue Ducharyn (sp) if Clyntan try to have him assassinated. He would then proclaim the depravities of Clyntan and Aivah would release her files.
What say you?

Return to Safehold