Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Tankman, Weird Harold and 9 guests

!Spoilers! Gloating over correct speculation !Spoiler!

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: !Spoilers! Gloating over correct speculation !Spoiler!
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 am

DrakBibliophile
Vice Admiral

Most of the people who got it early got it from brick & mortar bookstores.

Online bookstores (even for deadtree books) are more likely to "honor" the street date.

n7axw wrote:I am still waiting for my hardcover from B and N. I am told that they won't mail it out before sos date. Have some of you gotten the book early?

Don
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:49 am

Direwolf18
Captain (Junior Grade)

I went to a brick and mortar B&N, and even then the woman was hesitant about selling it to me, she didn't realize it was NOT strict on sale, and even then she had to check with a manager. But in the end I prevailed and happily went home with my copy.

I then canceled my Amazon pre-order in time.

Yay!
Post by fester   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:38 pm

fester
Captain of the List

Direwolf18 wrote:I went to a brick and mortar B&N, and even then the woman was hesitant about selling it to me, she didn't realize it was NOT strict on sale, and even then she had to check with a manager. But in the end I prevailed and happily went home with my copy.

I then canceled my Amazon pre-order in time.

Yay!

Morrisville pa Barnes and Nobles had a case on display
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:48 am

PeterZ
Admiral

Earldrygulch wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:I nailed it was Nimue on the cover.

Quite pleased by that one actualy.

I was right about Nimue, but wrong about Hektor. I'm glad I was but "mortal" has a particular meaning.

Double check the tense on that quote. Hektor had been mortally wounded as of Irys' internal monologue. That means he no longer was at the time Irys thought it.
Post by Gunny   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Gunny
Lieutenant Commander

PeterZ wrote:Thus the woman on the cover is another copy of the original Nimue in a PICA created by OWL.

I'm finding it hard to imagine Merlin and Nimue in the sack together.
Post by Graydon   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm

Graydon
Commander

Gunny wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Thus the woman on the cover is another copy of the original Nimue in a PICA created by OWL.

Given that they've undertaken a sibling relationship, I should hope so!

I want to know how you pronounce the surname Nimue adopted.

Also want to know why making her 5' 4" seemed like a good idea.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:05 pm

DrakBibliophile
Vice Admiral

David Weber has said that Nimue would have been considered a giant as a female and it was impossible to change the height of a PICA.

Merlin had some troubles adapting to being a male and he wanted to give the "new" Nimue the option of remaining a woman.

IIRC a 5'4" Safehold man wouldn't have been considered extremely short and a 5'4" Safehold woman would have been average height.

Thus the "new" Nimue wouldn't have been forced (as Merlin was) to become a man.

Graydon wrote:
Gunny wrote:

Given that they've undertaken a sibling relationship, I should hope so!

I want to know how you pronounce the surname Nimue adopted.

Also want to know why making her 5' 4" seemed like a good idea.
Post by Direwolf18   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Direwolf18
Captain (Junior Grade)

Gunny wrote:

If that doesn't count as incest, it damn well should.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

DrakBibliophile
Vice Admiral

More closer to narcissism.

IIRC relationships between the original person and his/her PICA copy was strongly discouraged in the Federation.

Merlin recalls the original Nimue having contact with her PICA copy prior to Operation ARK.

He "felt" that the earlier situation had a different feel than his conversations/interactions with the new Nimue.

Of course, he was much different than the person "he" was when he originally woke in Nimue's Cave.

Direwolf18 wrote:
Gunny wrote:I'm finding it hard to imagine Merlin and Nimue in the sack together.

If that doesn't count as incest, it damn well should.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:31 pm

DrakBibliophile
Vice Admiral

Quote From FEBRUARY YEAR OF GOD 897, Chapter II

“I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about,” he replied. “And I think it’s a bit unreasonable of you to accuse me of being ‘a nasty person’ when we’re both the same person.”

“Oh, no!” The woman who’d decided to call herself Nimue Chwaeriau laughed from her North Wing bedchamber in far distant Manchyr. “You very carefully didn’t give me all your memories, Merlin. So don’t try to maneuver me into giving you a pass by hiding behind ‘we’re all in this together’!”

It was Merlin’s turn to chuckle, although there was undeniably something … weird about this conversation. Custom and regulation alike had discouraged PICA owners from having discussions between their molycirc selves and their flesh-and-blood selves. Personalities could get into nasty narcissistic feedback loops that way … especially personalities already pushed to the brink by the despair of the long, losing battle against the Gbaba.

Like most PICA users, Nimue Alban had skated the edge of that ban once or twice, just to see what it felt like, but odd as that had seemed, it hadn’t been like this. Nimue Alban’s biological and electronic selves had been effectively identical when they sat down face-to-face, but there were enormous differences between Merlin and the woman he’d decided deserved the name Nimue far more than he did after so long as Merlin Athrawes. They truly were different people, yet different people who shared the identical memories, the same life, up to the very instant they’d awakened here on Safehold. It was immensely comforting to know there was someone else in the universe who truly remembered the Terran Federation’s long, hopeless war and the sacrifices so many had made to bring humanity here to this world where it might survive. Yet knowing someone else remembered also made his sense of loss for all that had disappeared forever even sharper.

End Quote

DrakBibliophile wrote:More closer to narcissism.

IIRC relationships between the original person and his/her PICA copy was strongly discouraged in the Federation.

Merlin recalls the original Nimue having contact with her PICA copy prior to Operation ARK.

He "felt" that the earlier situation had a different feel than his conversations/interactions with the new Nimue.

Of course, he was much different than the person "he" was when he originally woke in Nimue's Cave.

Return to Safehold