Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dilandu, Google [Bot], Randomiser, Tonto Silerheels, USMA74 and 13 guests

(SPOILERS) Epilogue

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: (SPOILERS) Epilogue
Post by KNick   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 pm

KNick
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Guys, Aivah's request is more interesting. I believe she is setting Clyntahn up for an assassination. She exposed her knowledge to Merlin after Dialydd Mab inadvertently acted as her picadore. She must have gotten word back about Clyntahn's reaction and knew he would go out of his way to appear unaffected. Now it is only a matter of time until he leaves the Temple and exposes himself. When he does, I believe Aivah has some method to kill him. If she can get there quickly enough, that is.

Better yet, kill Rayno. Without him to act as a balance wheel and moderator for Clyntahn's excesses (and to clean up after him), Clyntahn will lose what little self control he has. Also, Rayno does tell him the truth. Any replacement will lie (at least for a while) to protect himself, leaving Clyntahn in the dark about the true state of affairs, leading to even greater miscalculations on Clyntahn part.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by keylime314   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:34 pm

keylime314
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Tonto Silerheels wrote:
Modern frequency hopping (spread spectrum) radio communications are indistinguishable from noise unless you know the sequence of frequencies being used. Theoretically, you could suppose some great technological leap that would surmount this problem, but that would require another suspension of disbelief.

You don't need any sort of technological leap. With current technology, frequency hopping provides no protection against eavesdropping by a dedicated attacker, even if the standard hopping frequencies aren't being used. It provides protection against interference and jamming. If it provided significant protection against eavesdropping, no one would bother with encryption. The frequencies being used aren't random, they have to be agreed on, usually via a reproducible pseudo RNG or a set frequency pattern, by both the transmitter and receiver. The pseudo RNG thing means the same frequencies WILL be used repeatedly. Applying probabilistic analysis to a large section of spectrum would show a preference for that "static" to show up on those frequencies. If you've been recording the spectrum, it's simple to reconstruct the message at that point. If it's encrypted, decrypting and reading the message is another matter, but you know the message exists and have an encrypted copy. Both the ability to monitor huge amounts of spectrum and do basic 20th century spectrum and signal analysis is something I would expect to see in the average 24th century military grade reconnaissance drone.

KNick wrote:It could be that the SNARCs did pick up such communications, but did not recognize them as such. To the SNARCs, it might seem like just another burst of static caused by something like lightning. If the SNARCs then filtered out all such bursts of static, then it would never come to OWLs attention. Especially if the filter was established before OWL became self-aware. The SNARCs would continue to filter them out now that OWL is thinking on his own, but he still wouldn't realize that he needed to look at them differently if it is not specifically called to his attention.

Such settings would be set by the designers of the SNARCS, not Merlin. If the federation engineers were unable to tell the difference between an high power impulse signal with a well known frequency response that covers huge amounts of spectrum and a low power, non-impulse signal that has a much, much, much smaller frequency footprint, then Merlin should just give up because humanity has no chance against the Gbaba.

DrakBibliophile wrote:OWL could have missed other radio signals because "he" hadn't been ordered to look for other radio signals. :twisted:

True, but Merlin has been been monitoring for any potential communication between the Rakurai and the temple for the entire series. He's known at least one other person (Paityr) had access to at least limited federation tech since OAR. He's known since BSRA there's a possibility of other groups of people who know the truth and may or may not have access to some sort of tech. If Merlin didn't put looking for electronic signals as a priority, that's a fairly huge oversight.

PeterZ wrote:Guys, Aivah's request is more interesting. I believe she is setting Clyntahn up for an assassination. She exposed her knowledge to Merlin after Dialydd Mab inadvertently acted as her picadore. She must have gotten word back about Clyntahn's reaction and knew he would go out of his way to appear unaffected. Now it is only a matter of time until he leaves the Temple and exposes himself. When he does, I believe Aivah has some method to kill him. If she can get there quickly enough, that is.

If she's like Paityr, maybe she's planning to kill Clyntahn, then wake whatever is under the temple so it can help 'archangel' Merlin set things 'right'.

It would be a fairly interesting turn of events at least.
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 pm

PeterZ
Admiral

I can see that only if she was confident the Duchairn will succeed at grasping control of the CoGA. Otherwise, Clyntahn would flail away and cause all sorts of havoc before the allies could remove him.

KNick wrote:

Better yet, kill Rayno. Without him to act as a balance wheel and moderator for Clyntahn's excesses (and to clean up after him), Clyntahn will lose what little self control he has. Also, Rayno does tell him the truth. Any replacement will lie (at least for a while) to protect himself, leaving Clyntahn in the dark about the true state of affairs, leading to even greater miscalculations on Clyntahn part.
Post by KNick   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:56 pm

KNick
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I can see that only if she was confident the Duchairn will succeed at grasping control of the CoGA. Otherwise, Clyntahn would flail away and cause all sorts of havoc before the allies could remove him.
]

That would be the purpose of removing Rayno. When Clyntahn started flailing away, it would cause the remaining vicars to reconsider supporting him. That would increase the potential for help for Duchairn, increasing his chances to succeed.
_

Post by PeterZ   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:15 pm

PeterZ
Admiral

Agreed. My point is that Aivah wouldn't kill Rayno unless she believed Duchairn would succeed. Better chance of success isn't enough with the damage Clyntahn would do. If she believes Clyntahn would survive Duchairn, she will kill him and have Duchairn work to reign in Rayno.

KNick wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I can see that only if she was confident the Duchairn will succeed at grasping control of the CoGA. Otherwise, Clyntahn would flail away and cause all sorts of havoc before the allies could remove him.
]

That would be the purpose of removing Rayno. When Clyntahn started flailing away, it would cause the remaining vicars to reconsider supporting him. That would increase the potential for help for Duchairn, increasing his chances to succeed.
Post by KNick   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm

KNick
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Agreed. My point is that Aivah wouldn't kill Rayno unless she believed Duchairn would succeed. Better chance of success isn't enough with the damage Clyntahn would do. If she believes Clyntahn would survive Duchairn, she will kill him and have Duchairn work to reign in Rayno.

The only thing with that is that Raayno would not have the control over the Vicarate that Clyntahn does. He would last only hours or at most days before someone from the Inquisition took him down. There are Inquisitors who believe wholeheartedly in Clyntahn's way of doing things and will fight to keep them going. Until Duchairn can take them down also, he can seize power, but he can't keep it. At this point, it is probably better to allow the overthrow of Clyntrahn to happen only when Duchairn is ready. If Aivah knows when that will happen and can lend a hand, she will, with Cllyntahn as her main target.
_

Post by PeterZ   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:44 pm

PeterZ
Admiral

Agreed with on caveat. If Magwair is with Duchairn as opposed to simply standing aside, the hardliner Inquisitors are SOL.

KNick wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Agreed. My point is that Aivah wouldn't kill Rayno unless she believed Duchairn would succeed. Better chance of success isn't enough with the damage Clyntahn would do. If she believes Clyntahn would survive Duchairn, she will kill him and have Duchairn work to reign in Rayno.

The only thing with that is that Raayno would not have the control over the Vicarate that Clyntahn does. He would last only hours or at most days before someone from the Inquisition took him down. There are Inquisitors who believe wholeheartedly in Clyntahn's way of doing things and will fight to keep them going. Until Duchairn can take them down also, he can seize power, but he can't keep it. At this point, it is probably better to allow the overthrow of Clyntrahn to happen only when Duchairn is ready. If Aivah knows when that will happen and can lend a hand, she will, with Cllyntahn as her main target.
Post by phillies   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:47 pm

phillies
Rear Admiral

Dialydd Mab

The Son's Avenger, The Avenger's Son

Once again, the clue is in Welsh.

Of course, what the clue *means* must wait for my copy of the book, as it makes no sense at all out of context.
Post by phillies   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:50 pm

phillies
Rear Admiral

Having not read the book, one might innocently have suggested that Merlin's quarters would have SNARC coverage, whether this other person did or not.

It would be inconvenient to need to explain how the Imperial bodyguard had had a nocturnal romance with several tons of slightly used gunpowder.

DrakBibliophile wrote:Since she surprised Merlin by being in his quarters, I'd say she isn't under SNARC coverage.

Mind you, it may be possible that she was but OWL hadn't had to chance to review the "tapes" of her movements.

Dalin wrote:Is there any textev, that Aivah is or isn't under SNARC coverage? At least after she left Zion?
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Direwolf18
Captain (Junior Grade)

phillies wrote:Dialydd Mab

The Son's Avenger, The Avenger's Son

Once again, the clue is in Welsh.

Of course, what the clue *means* must wait for my copy of the book, as it makes no sense at all out of context.

Ahh. I saw Mab and assumed the Fairy Queen, and then looked up Dialydd from there.

That makes sense.

Return to Safehold