Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Introducing the Hunter process.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Introducing the Hunter process.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cralkhi wrote:
AirTech wrote:(I was a little surprised Langhorne didn't go to Chinese ideograms or some version of Orwell's New Speak if he really wanted to freeze a culture, if you don't have words for a concept then explaining it is very hard).

Too easy just to invent new words, I think.

I do wonder why he picked a basically pseudo-Christian, monotheistic religion, though. It seems to me that using monotheism the way they did requires the concept of a divine plan, which is likely to bring in, or at least is a bit closer to the concept of a rational, comprehensible world than I think Langhorne would have been happy with.

A polytheism with gods often opposed to each other and a the-material-world-is-an-illusion (or a Gnostic style "matter is evil") doctrine would seem more useful at preventing the sorts of thought that lead to science from ever arising in the first place.

Wow! Did this topic ever swerve! :lol:

I, however, can swerve with the best of them. So . . . .

First, Langhorne's belief that technology could be permanently "turned off" at all represents a triumph of desperate hope over logic and historical experience. While one can find specific eras in human history which appear remarkably stable and remarkably anti-technology, there's seldom been a time in the last several thousand years when someone, somewhere on the planet hasn't been advancing human knowledge and understanding of the world about him.

Westerners are as culture bound is anyone else in their perception of how the world — and humanity — work. We make certain assumptions about how and why the scientific method emerged. We make certain assumptions about how other cultures, contemporary as well as historical, do or do not mirror our own experiences and expectations. Those assumptions can be very useful, but they can also blinker us, and one way that tends to work is to create an unconscious assumption that the way something worked in our own case, or in a known case, is the only way it could have happened.

Rationalism does not, in fact, depend on monotheism, in my opinion. Our experience in the West may be that our version of rationalism grew out of the Scholastic movement, but that is an observation made after the fact. While I am myself a monotheist, I believe that rationalism might also have grown out of atheism. If one does not believe in any God, gods, or spirits as the causative factors in the world about one, then one must obviously look for some other explanation for events and observed phenomena. I also think, however, that atheism is extremely unlikely to evolve in the wild, as it were. Atheism seems to me to result from a rejection of supernatural and divine forces because those forces are seen as having failed to accomplish what the proto-atheist views as their function, purpose, or responsibilities. Now, one may be taught to be an atheist just as one may be taught to be a theist, so I'm not saying that every single atheist in the world is the result of a personal experience of divine failure, but I believe that atheism itself is the result of a rational human mind's indictment of the divine for failure.

Note that I am not assigning any moral balance either way for the is him or atheism in the above paragraph. I'm simply observing that as a historian who's been reading history for better than 50 years now, it seems to me that religious belief is the default setting for early human societies. It follows from that observation that atheism results as those societies become more advanced (technologically, at any rate) and acquire the sophistication and broader base of education which increasingly technological societies make possible. Not all sophisticated, critical, questioning intellects will become atheists, but no one can become an atheist without becoming critical of divine explanations and questioning assumptions based upon them.

When Langhorne was visualizing his plan for Safehold, he had one overriding strategic goal — to ensure that advanced technology never emerged. In addition, however, he had several very important secondary goals, including the fact that he wanted human lives on Safehold to be rather better than "ugly, brutish, and short." In other words, he wanted the people who would populate Safehold to enjoy the best "standard of living" they could within the constraints of a society which would never, ever move beyond its own atmosphere. To accomplish those goals, he needed the inhabitants of Safehold to have some common reason to behave the way he wanted them to. He needed a unifying direction, a belief structure, and atheism wouldn't work to provide that. The rejection of the divine inevitably leads to the rejection of divine authority, and he needed that authority to hold up his entire structure.

As an aside, one of the points which I've made at least tangentially in some earlier threads is that Langhorne was never really concerned by the possibility of high-tech presence on Safehold attracting the Gbabas's attention once the initial Gbaba sweeps through the area had been completed. That is, he fully accepted that if Safehold "went dark" and stayed that way for three or four hundred years, it was extremely unlikely that a Gbaba scout would ever come close enough to the star system to spot the emissions of a technological society because those emissions would be pretty much completely lost in the background radiation of the system primary itself. There was a significant chance in the early days of the colony that a Gbaba scout might pass close enough to Safehold to pick up such emissions despite the primary's radiation, but once that threat had passed, Safehold could have built a technology with neutrinos and radio transmissions galore without much risk of its being detected by the Gbaba.

Now I'm not trying to suggest that Langhorne was entirely rational in what he believed/hope/feared. There was an element of "if we never radiate the spoor of high technology, we'll never be found" in his thinking, but his primary fear would be better stated as "if we ever go back into space, we will someday redevelop interstellar travel, and if we do that we will someday re-encounter the Gbaba and we will all be killed." What this means is that there is a subtly different focus to what he was after that I think some people have missed. His objective was to prevent technology from developing less because he feared the Gbaba might detect the technology, than that the technology would enable humanity to recontact the Gbaba. Because of that, he had nothing against technology which would improve the quality of human life so long as that technology never enabled spaceflight. Unfortunately, the only way to kill spaceflight and keep it dead was to destroy the entire edifice required to support spaceflight.

He also reasoned that without a unifying, focusing "plan of God" to keep the evolving Safeholdian societies focused in the direction(s) necessary to prevent the emergence of dangerous technologies, someone was eventually likely to jump the rails. That is, without something that specifically required the members of that society to follow a set of rules that precluded advanced technology, someone, somewhere, however gradually, would set in progress an evolution of thought that would lead to its development. Unfortunately, rules presuppose a plan, at least on someone's part. Without a plan, without a focus and an objective to be accomplished, rules make no sense, because they have no purpose.

So he created a religion in which God had created, through the agency of his Archangels, a mortal universe peopled with mortal human beings. The purpose of that universe, according to the Holy Writ, was for a loving God to bring life to his beloved children who would, by learning to know him and to obey the laws set down for them, advance in their understanding and spiritual grace to a point which would allow them at the time of their mortal deaths to rejoin him as mature spiritual beings able to fully comprehend him and interact with him exactly as the angels and Archangels did in the creation of Safehold. In effect, the Holy Writ is supposed to be a training manual for mortals who aspire to the role of immortals. You might say that Safeholdians are thinking in terms of Rudyard Kipling's "When Earth's Last Picture Is Painted"

-------------------------------------------------
When Earth's last picture is painted
And the tubes are twisted and dried
When the oldest colors have faded
And the youngest critic has died
We shall rest, and faith, we shall need it
Lie down for an aeon or two
'Till the Master of all good workmen
Shall put us to work anew
And those that were good shall be happy
They'll sit in a golden chair
They'll splash at a ten league canvas
With brushes of comet's hair
They'll find real saints to draw from
Magdalene, Peter, and Paul
They'll work for an age at a sitting
And never be tired at all.
And only the Master shall praise us.
And only the Master shall blame.
And no one will work for the money.
No one will work for the fame.
But each for the joy of the working,
And each, in his separate star,
Will draw the thing as he sees it.
For the God of things as they are!

---------------------------------

I'm a bit surprised, actually, to realize that I've never really expressly explained that anywhere in the books, because I thought I had. Looking back, however, I don't think I ever did, probably because it was so firmly fixed in my own mind that it never occurred to me that I had to find a place to do the explaining.

Nonetheless, that is what everyone is talking about when they refer to "God's plan" for Safehold. It's not a matter of simply obeying the rules because God said to obey the rules, although there's obviously a huge dollop of that in the Church of God Awaiting. But by making that spiritual journey — that learning and maturation and eventual graduation to a greater and more glorious state of being and relationship with God — the ultimate focus and objective of every godly child of Mother Church, Langhorne helped to provide a bedrock foundation for a plan which would both justify/explain the existence of the rules set forth in the Holy Writ and provide a motivation for the members of Safehold's societies to treat one another well.

The God of the Church of God Awaiting is overwhelmingly (officially, at least) one of compassion and love. He wants his children to have good lives, to grow and develop spiritually, to provide for themselves and for their families, and to care for one another as they mature into beings capable of interacting directly with him. To enable them to do this, his archangels provided thousands upon thousands of "miracles" to help them in their lives. These are the teachings and explanations which are embodied in the Writ, including Bédard's teachings, and Pasquale's, and Sondheim's and Truscott's. Yet because every mortal living on Safehold is a "child" of God in every sense — including the sense of a hugely limited (by divine standards) ability to understand God and the greater task and life he has planned for his children after they "graduate" from mortality — there have to be limits. A loving parent trains a child in the skills, knowledge, and attitudes that child will need to someday become a fulfilled, loving adult, but when that child is very young, that parent frequently must simply decree "because that's the way it is," because the child in question lacks the life experience to understand an explanation of why that's the way it is.

Those are what the rules in the Writ are supposed to explain. The primary function of the Writ from Langhorne’s perspective is to preclude the emergence of that dangerous level of technology. The secondary function of the Writ is to provide the inhabitants of Safehold with the best lives, the best level of capabilities, possible (in Langhorne’s view) consistent with his primary objective. In effect, he was attempting to build a society in which the scientific method would never emerge, the members of that society would never realize there was actually a technology which had been denied to them, and which had an ongoing “God’s plan for Safehold” that would keep it focused on obeying the Writ.

Now, I don’t want to go into this next point to deeply, because of . . . well, for reasons of my own. However, I will remind you that the entire Book of Schueler was added to the Writ after Shan-wei’s “Fall.” That is, it was not a part of the “operator’s manual” until after Langhorne himself was dead, courtesy of Pei Kau-yung’s vest pocket nuke. Now, one might — might, I say — conclude from this that the surviving members of the command crew decided to make Pei Shan-wei’s fate and the destruction of the Alexandria Enclave a “teachable moment” for Safehold. In other words, all of the bloody penalties for violating Jwo-jeng’s proscriptions on advanced technology were added after Shan-wei’s “horrible example” of the consequences of violating them — that is, the destruction she had wreaked on God's plan — and were used to underscore the fact that “even an archangel” could be corrupted into disobeying God’s will. Shan-wei didn’t represent merely Lucifer’s rebellion against God in the names of pride and personal ambition; she also represented Adam and Eve’s rebellion in reaching for the approved of the Tree of Knowledge. She became, in effect, an essential element of the Church of God Awaiting’s theology, but she was not originally a part of that theology as visualized by Langhorne. It is entirely possible that the absence of a personification of evil and the temptation to disobey God’s rules would have constituted a much more immediate fatal flaw in Langhorne’s original plan, although obviously no one will ever know whether or not that was the case.

So those are the main reasons why Langhorne felt it was necessary to incorporate a “God’s plan” element into his original theology and an explanation of at least some of the ways that the destruction of Alexandria and the War Against the Fallen reshaped and modified that theology. I hope this isn’t too rambling and that it may help a bit with understanding Langhorne’s original purpose and at least some of the ways that his original purpose and plan were rather brutally modified after his own death.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Highjohn   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:41 pm

Highjohn
Commander

I don't want to get into a debate about the nature of the trinity. That is a huge mess, not really appropriate, and probably boring to most people here.

However, you have a bad definition of god. Try researching Henotheism. Where many gods may exist but your group worships one. Like say Zeus exists, but you worship Athena. Also the point about worship was one reason I said the Judaic religions were pseudo monotheism. Further, is a god a god if I were to believe he existed and still didn't worship him? Worship and belief in the existence of something are two different things. An example might be that I was in a polytheistic religion where a god controlled the weather, but as entirely indifferent to humans. I believe this god exists, but I do not worship it. Still a god, and I still don't worship it.

Also about saints and Catholicism. An outsider might not see the difference between how saints are treated and gods.

Saints have large groups of people desperately praying to them, building huge buildings to them, creating rituals around them, traveling around to world to see their buildings/resting place/place of miracle. They seem to have the same actions performed toward them as a god. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Protestantism: I am aware that Protestantism isn't concerned about Saints and Angels. Most denominations still believe angels exist though and that they have the power of a god. Read the bible if you think I'm wrong. See how many angles are in it.

Judaism: irrelevant. Do you have free will? Yes? Are you ever a tool of god? Does god ever control he direction of your life? If so and you were given the power of an angel would you not be god?

Islam: I don't know much about Islam either. But to for your point it is irrelevant. Angles have god powers therefore angles fit the definition of a god. Doesn't matter who they say is their superior.
Post by Highjohn   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Highjohn
Commander

RFC.

Your wrong about atheism. technically everyone who was alive before someone came up with the idea of god was an atheist.(Note I'm not saying all gods are fictional here, just that at some point all known religious did not exist, so someone must have had the made them up(maybe they were insane, or a con artist) or they had a divine revelation, like Saul is supposed to have had). However that is not really of any interest, I am an a-universe-creating-pink-polka-doted-turtle, but who cares. However as soon as someone said there was a god, someone said "I don't see this god of yours". Just because most people in a society did say the saw the god doesn't mean that there weren't people who didn't. You don't need science for that.

Also please rephrase this in the future:
runsforcelery wrote:Atheism seems to me to result from a rejection of supernatural and divine forces because those forces are seen as having failed to accomplish what the proto-atheist views as their function, purpose, or responsibilities.

It implies that most atheists are atheists because they think god has failed them. This is in fact not true. Most atheist are atheist because they don't see evidence of a god. They might also be pissed off at what that god is supposed to have done but that isn't why they think the god didn't do that.

Most atheists are not 'angry at god' they don't think go exists. Yes there are some atheists who are atheists because of exactly that, but they are rare, not the majority
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:19 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

You get upset when David Weber makes a mistake about "how atheists think" but have the gall to tell Religious People that they are wrong about "how they view their own Faith".

Sorry, we know what our beliefs are and you have shown that you don't but claim that you know better about those beliefs than we do.

Highjohn wrote:I don't want to get into a debate about the nature of the trinity. That is a huge mess, not really appropriate, and probably boring to most people here.

However, you have a bad definition of god. Try researching Henotheism. Where many gods may exist but your group worships one. Like say Zeus exists, but you worship Athena. Also the point about worship was one reason I said the Judaic religions were pseudo monotheism. Further, is a god a god if I were to believe he existed and still didn't worship him? Worship and belief in the existence of something are two different things. An example might be that I was in a polytheistic religion where a god controlled the weather, but as entirely indifferent to humans. I believe this god exists, but I do not worship it. Still a god, and I still don't worship it.

Also about saints and Catholicism. An outsider might not see the difference between how saints are treated and gods.

Saints have large groups of people desperately praying to them, building huge buildings to them, creating rituals around them, traveling around to world to see their buildings/resting place/place of miracle. They seem to have the same actions performed toward them as a god. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Protestantism: I am aware that Protestantism isn't concerned about Saints and Angels. Most denominations still believe angels exist though and that they have the power of a god. Read the bible if you think I'm wrong. See how many angles are in it.

Judaism: irrelevant. Do you have free will? Yes? Are you ever a tool of god? Does god ever control he direction of your life? If so and you were given the power of an angel would you not be god?

Islam: I don't know much about Islam either. But to for your point it is irrelevant. Angles have god powers therefore angles fit the definition of a god. Doesn't matter who they say is their superior.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:19 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

By the way, the key factor about Henotheism is that in it people believe that several gods exist but only worship one of them.

But a follower of Athena would believe that Zeus exists and is a god.

Christianity, Judaism and Islam believe in only one God and while they believe that "other beings" exist deny that those beings are gods.

Your "belief" that angels and saints are seen as gods is nonsense.

Highjohn wrote:I don't want to get into a debate about the nature of the trinity. That is a huge mess, not really appropriate, and probably boring to most people here.

Post by JimHacker   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:32 pm

JimHacker
Captain (Junior Grade)

DrakBibliophile wrote:You get upset when David Weber makes a mistake about "how atheists think" but have the gall to tell Religious People that they are wrong about "how they view their own Faith".

Sorry, we know what our beliefs are and you have shown that you don't but claim that you know better about those beliefs than we do.

While perhaps badly worded, Highjohn does have a point that technically from an athropological perspective, rather than examining one's own religion internally, monotheism vs polytheism can get rather complicated.
-------------------------------
Happiness is not having what you want
Nor is happiness wanting what you have
Happiness is believing that tomorrow you shall have
what you want today

..//^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
.._/''*''\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:54 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Highjohn wrote:RFC.

Your wrong about atheism. technically everyone who was alive before someone came up with the idea of god was an atheist.(Note I'm not saying all gods are fictional here, just that at some point all known religious did not exist, so someone must have had the made them up(maybe they were insane, or a con artist) or they had a divine revelation, like Saul is supposed to have had). However that is not really of any interest, I am an a-universe-creating-pink-polka-doted-turtle, but who cares. However as soon as someone said there was a god, someone said "I don't see this god of yours". Just because most people in a society did say the saw the god doesn't mean that there weren't people who didn't. You don't need science for that.

Also please rephrase this in the future:
runsforcelery wrote:Atheism seems to me to result from a rejection of supernatural and divine forces because those forces are seen as having failed to accomplish what the proto-atheist views as their function, purpose, or responsibilities.

It implies that most atheists are atheists because they think god has failed them. This is in fact not true. Most atheist are atheist because they don't see evidence of a god. They might also be pissed off at what that god is supposed to have done but that isn't why they think the god didn't do that.

Most atheists are not 'angry at god' they don't think go exists. Yes there are some atheists who are atheists because of exactly that, but they are rare, not the majority

No, I'm not wrong about atheism in the anthropological sense. I will wager that from the very first moment the very first proto-human saw fire, he ascribed it to some mysterious power which he could not understand. Completely leaving aside whether or not God or those supernatural forces actually exist, every emerging society/civilization/tribal culture with which I am familiar ascribed the things it could not understand to supernatural and/or divine beings or forces. I am defining atheism as a disbelief in those beings or forces and arguing that it arises from a culture which is able to find other explanations for those events, occurrences and processes it could not previously account for. I speak here of the emergence of atheism qua atheism, not of any given individual who may have embraced atheism.

And I do not choose to modify the paragraph you quoted. "Indict" is not always a moral judgment. If you have always been an atheist, you cannot "indict" something in which you do not believe in the judicial sense of charging it with having failed in a moral obligation to you. You can, however --- and atheists do --- point out the many ways in which any truly divine being who might hypothetically existed has failed to manifest himself to you, failed to offer laboratory evidence of his existence, failed to discharge what they would consider to be the minimum moral obligations of such a being, etc. In that sense, in the sense of Christian apologia, for example, an atheist does, indeed, "indict" God. Nor does the use of the verb "indict" say anything at all about anger. It simply says that "this being or thing you theists call 'God' has never manifested to me, nor have I seen any evidence that it exists, because if it did exist, it would have done X, Y, or Z."

This is a case in which any term anyone cares to use can quickly become a loaded one. I have to agree with Drak to some extent, however. You have cheerfully and consistently rattled of what theists believe in, expressing yourself in your own terms, which is your right. It does not necessarily make you correct, but neither does it necessarily make you incorrect, and philosophically and morally you have every right to make your arguments as seems most accurate to you. As do I, and as does Drak. I have no way of knowing if you personally awoke one day with your atheism fully formed --- sprung (you should pardon the phrase) as Athena from the brow of Zeus --- or it you reached that view after actual long and careful study of opposing belief structures. Speaking as someone who, Like C.S. Lewis had his atheistic moments and who has looked at this question very carefully from both sides, however, I stand by my analysis of the emergence of atheism as a belief structure.

As for anger, the existence of God (or gods) is a question which it behooves all of us to approach with the awareness that it is a highly emotionally charged issue for many. I can't say whether or not it is in your own case. Anger -- or at least a sense that they have been failed or somehow "swindled" by people who told them they should believe in God --- is, however, a very active part of what seem to me to be the majority of the individual atheists with whom I have discussed the nature of belief. In fact, I personally know at least two atheists (both friends of mine) who wax positively rabid on the subject. I've known both of the people I have in mind for years and our friendship is close, but they regard anyone --- except me, for some reason --- who argues in favor of the existence of God, even if the anyone in question is not attempting to proselytize then in any way, as backward, medieval peasants who want to burn witches on the village green and who should be stamped out before they lure any right-thinking soul into a cultist village and feed them poisoned Kool-Aid. I don't say that this would reflect your own attitude, nor do I have any desire to tread on your beliefs or your sensitivities. I do, however, reserve the right to define what I understand in my own terms just as you do using your own terms. And if you wish to define what theists do/do not believe, then you had better be prepared for them to reciprocate. :)

Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:56 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I see your point but I disagree.

Polytheists believe in several gods while perhaps worshiping only a few of them. A polytheist worshiper of Zeus wouldn't consider Athena not worthy of worship.

Monotheists may believe in Angels and Saints but Angels and Saints aren't viewed as "little gods". (IE worthy of worship.)

Now there some evidence that Zeus/Jupiter may have been "moving" from the "king of the gods" to the "Supreme/Most Important God".

Some may argue that God started out that way. It does appear that Allah, prior to Muhammad, was just the "Supreme God" of the Arabs not the Only God.

Still to tell us that because Angels and Saints are part of our beliefs that we aren't real Monotheists is somewhat arrogant.

JimHacker wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:You get upset when David Weber makes a mistake about "how atheists think" but have the gall to tell Religious People that they are wrong about "how they view their own Faith".

While perhaps badly worded, Highjohn does have a point that technically from an athropological perspective, rather than examining one's own religion internally, monotheism vs polytheism can get rather complicated.
Post by SWM   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:58 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Highjohn wrote:RFC.

Have you any evidence for this belief? Because all of the evidence that I have seen is that atheism is a fairly recent concept in human history, just as RFC says. The available evidence suggests that early civilizations had universal belief in gods, and that it goes back to prehistory.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:04 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

JimHacker wrote:

That's both true and inaccurate. Or, perhaps, beside the point. People can define things in absolute, excruciating detail and with the utmost precision. It's just that nobody else shares the same precision. You don't seriously expect us to let our understanding of that get in the way of a good, rip-roaring quarrel do you? :lol:

On a more serious note, the problem is that every single word in every single human language comes freighted and packed with all manner of background assumptions and shades of meaning. We can't help that because that level of semantics is inherent in the very act of communicating at all. What you believe and how you believe it colors the very act of describing and understanding, and an awful lot of them time, your underlying assumptions are so deeply buried in your word choices that you may not have a clue they're there or that other people might misconstrue them. Or be angered by them, in many cases. After all, they are self-evidently true and accurate, are they not? An honest person would not have used them in the first place if he didn't believe they were true and accurate.

Return to Safehold