Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

How the Safehold series WON'T end

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: How the Safehold series WON'T end
Post by robert132   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:38 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

laz wrote:Screw the snippets i want the BOOK. preferably by late october when i HAVE to move my mothers boat out of NZ. Hmmmm actually how about right after i finish all the repairs needed, and have finished stocking the boat, otherwise i won't get anything fixed. better yet just before i leave cell coverage. actually considering my reading/re-reading speed could the next 3 books be released by then? on iBooks? WITH 1 REALLY GOOD digital map...

uh if a really good digital map is also released better make it before i leave the mooring, it will take a while to download.....and i may need to refill my hotspot.

laz

Boat eh? As any sailor well knows, "a boat (or ship) is nothing but a hole in the water, lined with wood or metal into which one pours copious amounts of money and effort." Wish you all the best in your endeavor shipmate.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by robert132   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:53 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

I just finished the story and while it started off good, it just kept getting better and better and more and more fun. Loved it!

I felt the anxiety and hopelessness of the doomed defenders when faced by that humongous enemy fleet, the leaden feeling the pit of the stomach when "Bogey 2" and then "Bogey 3" appeared. The feeling turned into hope as "Bogey 3" fired into "Bogey 2".

When communications was established between the defenders and the "cavalry" fleet and that commander identified herself as Admiral MacIntyre commanding a fleet of 900 "Dahak IV" planetoids my thoughts toward the enemy was "you poor bastards." Then as she ticked off the other forces in company with hers my final thought as she finished with a Dinochrome Brigade of Bolo MK 46s was "David, you just ain't playing fair." :lol:

An ironic thought that was when one of my favorite sayings when wargaming is "Overkill is under-rated." :D

Well done sir! I thoroughly enjoyed it, maybe almost as much as you enjoyed writing it.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by timmopussycat   » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:28 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:I promise I wasn't really smoking any prohibited substances when this came to me. But, I thought, what the heck, if Heinlein could do it, so can I. :twisted:

I wonder if it's fanfic when the author does it?

If it is, it's also a violation of the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" rule. ;-)
Post by Caliban   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

Caliban
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Fantastic! very nice..

Y'know, for just a moment or two I thought I felt a little E.E.'Doc' Smith in the room....
====================================

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A Fool speaks because he has to say something."
Post by Charybdis   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Caliban wrote:Fantastic! very nice..

Y'know, for just a moment or two I thought I felt a little E.E.'Doc' Smith in the room....

YEAH! Primary Beams!
FYI: How big ARE those Primary Beam Cartridges (PBC)? Is space full of expended PBCs?
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Caliban   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Caliban

Charybdis wrote:
Caliban wrote:Fantastic! very nice..

YEAH! Primary Beams!
FYI: How big ARE those Primary Beam Cartridges (PBC)? Is space full of expended PBCs?

Wow... gotta go back to the rolodex memory files for that one...IIRC, they never said how big they were, just that they were seriously upscaled projectors which, in turn, were vastly upgraded versions of the GP's semi portables.They did have an element that would burn out and had to be replaced, but no mention of size was ever given that I know of. Eh, call it two feet long and a foot wide...

Space is vast, so I doubt there would be a problem anytime soon.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion and commentary on:
'How the Safehold series WON'T end'
:mrgreen:

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A Fool speaks because he has to say something."
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Caliban wrote:They did have an element that would burn out and had to be replaced, but no mention of size was ever given that I know of. Eh, call it two feet long and a foot wide...

Eludium Space Modulators are only about the size of a vacuum tube and look a lot like firecrackers. :lol:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:19 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Caliban wrote: SNIP

Wow... gotta go back to the rolodex memory files for that one...IIRC, they never said how big they were, just that they were seriously upscaled projectors which, in turn, were vastly upgraded versions of the GP's semi portables.They did have an element that would burn out and had to be replaced, but no mention of size was ever given that I know of. Eh, call it two feet long and a foot wide...

Always had the impression that they were pretty large, as always seemed to be mounted in the larger ships. Didn't the original Boskonian crews strap themselves in/on, point, fire and die?
Post by Caliban   » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Caliban

isaac_newton wrote:
Caliban wrote: SNIP

Always had the impression that they were pretty large, as always seemed to be mounted in the larger ships. Didn't the original Boskonian crews strap themselves in/on, point, fire and die?

I don't think so.. if memory serves, the basis for the Primary was 'discovered' during Kinnison's first (and only) trip out in the Britannia, when they had blown off the front end of the Boskonian ship with the Q gun, and the remainder were firing back. They overloaded their projectors attempting to take the ship out before they could get back to Prime Base with the secret of the cosmic energy receptors that were powering all Boskonian ships at the time. The Patrol later refined that basis, and put 'em on the new 'Mauler' class.

Hmm,haven't read that series for quite a while, maybe it's time. It'll give me something to read until our Esteemed Wizard's publishers release the next book. Well, excepting snippets and the discussions here,of course...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And Harold- very true, but those are apparently only available to tiny individuals with a penchant for wearing Greco/Roman type warrior outfits, along with tennis shoes. And a supply of dehydrated minions. :D

Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:51 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Caliban wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:

I don't think so.. if memory serves, the basis for the Primary was 'discovered' during Kinnison's first (and only) trip out in the Britannia, when they had blown off the front end of the Boskonian ship with the Q gun, and the remainder were firing back. They overloaded their projectors attempting to take the ship out before they could get back to Prime Base with the secret of the cosmic energy receptors that were powering all Boskonian ships at the time. The Patrol later refined that basis, and put 'em on the new 'Mauler' class.

Hmm,haven't read that series for quite a while, maybe it's time. It'll give me something to read until our Esteemed Wizard's publishers release the next book. Well, excepting snippets and the discussions here,of course...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SNIP

Not quite sure about that... I seem to remember that the Galactic Patrol had come across and wiped out a main base, and there were some satellite stations left, where indeed as you say, the trapped Boskonians overloaded the projectors to take some of the GP with them. I concur about the rest...

Funny how ones memories varies :-)

I don't have the books anymore so no definitive textev on this absolutely crucial point :lol:

Return to Safehold