Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

How the Safehold series WON'T end

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: How the Safehold series WON'T end
Post by csilkenat   » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:08 pm

csilkenat
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

This is likely the most terrifying battlefleet this side of Star Wars or WH 40K and may even be able to destroy some of them. Dear God.
Post by BarryKirk   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Well I saw Bolo and Multiverse references.

Hint, hint RFC... It's a fine day to see more of both those series.
Post by Seawolf509   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am

Seawolf509
Captain of the List

Charles83 wrote:
Seawolf509 wrote:Achuultani

Got to see if he uses that race name in the future.

This is the name of the alien race in the dahak series.

Ok so if he writes one more book in the Dahak series I will be right? ( and make up for not having read that series yet.)
Post by lyonheart   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Amen Drak!

Thank you RFC!

While I suspected the EA refrain, the Dahak IV's were quite unexpected, as all the other references cascaded in an avalanche of pleasure. LOL! indeed! :lol:

The semi-puzzler was the RAH reference; other than the obvious "The Number of the Beast" meeting Lazarus Long etc, I thought I was stumped; but I should have twigged on the hinted multi-verse aspects and hints sooner.

Thank you again! :D

I just regret I wasn't able to read and enjoy this earlier.

L

DrakBibliophile wrote:LOL!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Bulldogger   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Bulldogger
Ensign

I have thought a thought! :geek:

While my thought is a totally idiotic thought stream, I thought it an interesting question. And so I thought I would express it. Now others can think it too! :P

IF …..

All alternative universes are based on the assumption of what I call deviation (the universe started off as one or whole or from a common core than deviated in to different universes as alternative scenarios (A or B right or left)—different universe created based on which direction/ action developed upon.

AND SO..…

In the Mutineers Moon we learn that human life on earth originated from outside of this solar system and arrived in the form of Mutineers and crewmembers from Dehak. So, no Dehak no humans on earth.

In the Safehold books there are humans on earth and were assumedly eradicated on that planet after the Ark left.
How did the humans get on earth?

Humm? :shock:
Post by cralkhi   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:19 am

cralkhi
Captain of the List

Bulldogger wrote:I have thought a thought! :geek:

While my thought is a totally idiotic thought stream, I thought it an interesting question. And so I thought I would express it. Now others can think it too! :P

IF …..

All alternative universes are based on the assumption of what I call deviation (the universe started off as one or whole or from a common core than deviated in to different universes as alternative scenarios (A or B right or left)—different universe created based on which direction/ action developed upon.

AND SO..…

In the Mutineers Moon we learn that human life on earth originated from outside of this solar system and arrived in the form of Mutineers and crewmembers from Dehak. So, no Dehak no humans on earth.

In the Safehold books there are humans on earth and were assumedly eradicated on that planet after the Ark left.

Well, I presume that that model of alternate universes doesn't apply to this scenario.

BUT... one possibility is that in at least one alternate universe, humans developed both time travel and cross-universe travel, entering the Dahakverse's past and eventually colonizing Dahakverse-Earth before native humanity had a chance to evolve on it.
Post by Seawolf509   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 am

Seawolf509
Captain of the List

Or this was written keep our brains running in circles until LAMA is out. :D
Post by garfield   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

garfield
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Or in the Safehold universe Dahak was unable to recover and his empty shell was impotently orbiting earch when the Achuulani/Gbaba finally appeared.
Post by oyohan   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 pm

oyohan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Bulldogger wrote:I have thought a thought! :geek:

IF …..

AND SO..…

Are you trying to apply the multiverse theory to the economic realities of being a science fiction writer?

okay then...

The fifth imperium gets destroyed and humanity restarts on Earth. > Safehold Series.

or..

Safehold becomes known as the Second Imperium since IIFC, there were records of an earlier civilization (Earth) and the Fifth Imperium eventually falls to the Achultanni and the Safehold colony mission starts. One big happy circle.
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:I promise I wasn't really smoking any prohibited substances when this came to me. But, I thought, what the heck, if Heinlein could do it, so can I. :twisted:

I wonder if it's fanfic when the author does it?

It´s commonly called an omake, especially among fanfic writers/readers.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... Main.Omake
A bonus that is added to, but separate from, a particular work. The practice of adding such a bonus to one's work has been around for a long, long time: Charles Dickens, for example, was a regular practitioner of it, back when he wrote his stories for newspapers and magazines.

If this extra material is another story in the universe, it generally doesn't interact with the primary plot of the work, and is seen as "stand-alone" material. Some times that extra material isn't even considered canon

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=omake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omake

VERY nice multicrossover by the way. :mrgreen:

And even if it isn´t the real end, it´s still a pretty darn cool end.
And i agree with many others, that was an awesome little short story.

Return to Safehold