Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

When is the new Safehold going to be written?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
When is the new Safehold going to be written?
Post by Mycall4me   » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:26 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

So I've just finished re reading the Safehold series, and I was wondering when the next in the series is going to come out. The only thing about it that I know about it, was a very old book update from David from at least two years ago that he would be starting it next. (This was back before Uncompromising Honor came out I think) Now I know his updates are subject to change, but I don't know if there's been any new updates recently that might shed light on this. Can anyone help me on this one?
Re: When is the new Safehold going to be written?
Post by justdave   » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:06 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Mycall4me wrote:So I've just finished re reading the Safehold series, and I was wondering when the next in the series is going to come out. The only thing about it that I know about it, was a very old book update from David from at least two years ago that he would be starting it next. (This was back before Uncompromising Honor came out I think) Now I know his updates are subject to change, but I don't know if there's been any new updates recently that might shed light on this. Can anyone help me on this one?

That’s basically what he’s been saying at cons, Safehold is his next solo.

Along w/all the colabs!
Post by Mark Time   » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:03 pm

Mark Time
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I remember when the Safehold forum had activity. Now it's more of a deserted wasteland with the occasional new reader dropping by.

RFC has bitten off way too many projects. Who needed the Gordian Division series? It would be nice to see some movement on the series-in-progress. It's a shame to see RFC walking in George R. R. Martin's footsteps.
Post by phillies   » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:42 pm

phillies
Admiral

Mark Time wrote:I remember when the Safehold forum had activity. Now it's more of a deserted wasteland with the occasional new reader dropping by.

RFC has bitten off way too many projects. Who needed the Gordian Division series? It would be nice to see some movement on the series-in-progress. It's a shame to see RFC walking in George R. R. Martin's footsteps.

With all respect, Martin appears to have only one project.
Post by Mark Time   » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:15 pm

Mark Time
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

phillies wrote:
Mark Time wrote:I remember when the Safehold forum had activity. Now it's more of a deserted wasteland with the occasional new reader dropping by.

Since supposedly starting on the 6th GoT book, The Winds of Winter in 2011, George R.R. Martin has spent time on..

Game of Thrones - Producer and Consultant
House of the Dragon - Executive Producer
Fire and Blood - author
The Hedge Knight - author
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms - author
and 8 other spin-off shows that he claims to be developing

I'd say that's quite a number of projects on which he's gotten himself involved. He's spread himself quite thin. Not a good role model for RFC.

Whether the analogy to George R.R. Martin is spot-on or slightly stretched, the bottom line is that there comes a point when multitasking becomes thrashing. Taking on yet more projects is not ideal.
Post by Bruno Behrends   » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:44 am

Bruno Behrends
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:

Which is helping HBO to develop various film series ideas :P (It certainly isn't Winter Never Comes.)
Post by ecortez   » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:47 pm

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Mark Time wrote:RFC has bitten off way too many projects. Who needed the Gordian Division series? It would be nice to see some movement on the series-in-progress. It's a shame to see RFC walking in George R. R. Martin's footsteps.

I predict The Winds of Winter will be published posthumously, after a final revision and perhaps a few chapters written by one of GRRM's close friends and confidants.

We can only hope that the second group of Safehold novels will be published during David's lifetime. The third series he was once planning about the Gbaba-Safehold War will almost certainly never happen now. Which is too bad, I wanted to see the story come full circle, but he could do an epilogue to the final Safehold book that would tell us how the whole thing turns out. I'd at least like to see the story arc that leads to the final breaking of the Church's influence on Safehold.

For a while there we were getting one book in the series about every 18 months. But then - as Mark Time says - David took on too many simultaneous projects and it got put on the back burner. Maybe if he gets back into the flow of the series again we'll start seeing them on a more regular schedule and it'll get a proper conclusion.

I'm surprised HBO ... excuse me, Max ... or another streaming service hasn't expressed an interest in the franchise. In addition to the Safehold book fan base, it would appeal to GoT fans and sci-fi buffs alike. The budget would be comparable to Thrones - on the high end, but quite doable if viewership is good. On the other hand I've always expected Eric Flint's 1632 series to eventually be adapted for television and that hasn't happened either, so what do I know? :roll:
Post by Daryl   » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:53 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Í'd love to see Honorverse, 1632, Ends the Fire, and even some of the Bolo series put into film.
Who knows?
Post by Louis R   » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:34 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

There actually was an animated Mutineers' Moon in development. Himself showed us some of the concept drawings... ohhhh... maybe 16-18 years ago :)

1632 was optioned several years ago, as well.

Both projects, TTBOMK, are dead as doornails. In MM's case, the company went under years ago. I have the impression that for 1632 the pitches went nowhere so the option expired, but since I wasn't directly involved I don't know for sure.

Daryl wrote:Í'd love to see Honorverse, 1632, Ends the Fire, and even some of the Bolo series put into film.
Who knows?
Post by Tregonsee   » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:25 am

Tregonsee
Ensign

Mycall4me wrote:So I've just finished re reading the Safehold series, and I was wondering when the next in the series is going to come out. The only thing about it that I know about it, was a very old book update from David from at least two years ago that he would be starting it next. (This was back before Uncompromising Honor came out I think) Now I know his updates are subject to change, but I don't know if there's been any new updates recently that might shed light on this. Can anyone help me on this one?

Having just passed 75, I am not at all confident that both RFC and I will reach the end of my favorite series. I am not counting on B&N and Amazon being available on The Other Side. :)

Return to Safehold