Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

When is the new Safehold going to be written?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: When is the new Safehold going to be written?
Post by M'knzy   » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:56 pm

M'knzy
Midshipman

I bought all of the books in this series as they came out. I am desperately waiting for just one more book to finish it off. The last book left all of us on a cliffhanger. Please finish it, for all of us.
Post by Mark Time   » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:23 pm

Mark Time
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Wow, just spotted on Baen Books that yet another Gordian Division novel, The Thermopylae Protocol, is coming out in June. Pride of authorship goes to David Weber ahead of Jacob Holo. Also, there's the new Toll of Honor book that is just a rework of already existing material with some new points of view thrown in.

Come'on RfC, how about making progress on SafeHold instead of spinning off into the multiverse or rehashing older work.
Post by Mark Time   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:11 pm

Mark Time
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

So Toll of Honor is okay but it is basically just a rehash with some additional color on the early stages of the war with the Peeps. There is an Autthor's Note at the end in which RfC explains why he wanted to re-visit/expand upon some of the Honorverse lore. About 40% of the explanation deals with his desire to correct the record on the Ellington vs. Dreyfuss dueling protocols. Really? You must be kidding. Who cares?

RfC, how about less Honorverse navel-gazing until you bring Safehold to a reasonable stopping point.
Post by ghost   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:11 pm

ghost
Ensign

M'knzy wrote:I bought all of the books in this series as they came out. I am desperately waiting for just one more book to finish it off. The last book left all of us on a cliffhanger. Please finish it, for all of us.

I totally agree. I don't understand why it's so hard for authors to give updates like I'll start the next Safehold book in Quarter 3. I do get that specific dates may not work and things might change but it's very frustrating to not have any information at all. Since there are moderators and people who run this website there is little excuse not have have things like forecoming books updated. The author just needs to tell the website people and they can update the site keeping us all informed. The author really doesn't owe anybody a book at any particular time but given the money I and others have spent making him at least well off, one would think he could keep us updated.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:29 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if there may be two phases.
One more book illustrating the coming out of Safehold from its technological straightjacket.
The another phase of development, along with founding their own hidden colonies. Followed by a universe wide struggle against the Ghaba.
A lot will depend of RFC's health and family committments. He has already worked longer than I have.

M'knzy wrote:I bought all of the books in this series as they came out. I am desperately waiting for just one more book to finish it off. The last book left all of us on a cliffhanger. Please finish it, for all of us.
Post by Mycall4me   » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:19 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Daryl wrote:I wonder if there may be two phases.
One more book illustrating the coming out of Safehold from its technological straightjacket.
The another phase of development, along with founding their own hidden colonies. Followed by a universe wide struggle against the Ghaba.
A lot will depend of RFC's health and family committments. He has already worked longer than I have.

You and me both, brother. Personally I doubt if RFC is going to live that long. MY hope is that he finds a promising understudy and gifts his pre plotted storyline to, to flesh out on their own. He's already mentioned a Marisa someone for Crown of Slaves story arc, and a Jan Houteck? somebody for Alicia DeVries post Fury story arc. Yeah!
Post by Bookem   » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:45 am

Bookem
Midshipman

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top of the forum in case anyone has any insights into the current state of play w.r.t the next book.
Post by justdave   » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:54 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Bookem wrote:Just wanted to bump this back up to the top of the forum in case anyone has any insights into the current state of play w.r.t the next book.

MWW has said at recent cons Safehold is his next solo project
Post by Caraquena   » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:00 pm

Caraquena
Midshipman

Bookem wrote:Just wanted to bump this back up to the top of the forum in case anyone has any insights into the current state of play w.r.t the next book.

He posted a lengthy status update on March 6th in the Facebook "David Weber the Author" group. Briefly: Safehold is still next on his solo project queue but there are a lot of collabs he owes work on. It sounded like finishing the next Star Kingdom (collab with Jane Lindskold) and writing something for Chuck Gannon's "Caine Riordan" universe would likely come before starting Safehold.

Return to Safehold