Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Book of Shan-Wei

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Book of Shan-Wei
Post by Salisria   » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:42 pm

Salisria
Lieutenant Commander

Now obviously if there ever had been a Book of Shan-Wei, it wouldn't have been part of the post-rakurai Holy Writ, but given how Shan-Wei gets hyped up in the Holy Writ as second in power and wisdom only to Langhorne, it does seem a bit odd that there wasn't originally a Book of Shan-Wei. Yet, since the most likely subject matter for such a book is covered by the Book of Sondheim, it appears there's not even a suppressed Book of Shan-Wei.

Has Himself ever indicated that lack is because Shan-Wei vetoed having even a ghost-written book attributed to her, or was it because Langhorne and/or Chihiro kept the Alexandrian archangels from having books in Holy Writ to begin with?
Re: Book of Shan-Wei
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:12 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Salisria wrote:Now obviously if there ever had been a Book of Shan-Wei, it wouldn't have been part of the post-rakurai Holy Writ, but given how Shan-Wei gets hyped up in the Holy Writ as second in power and wisdom only to Langhorne, it does seem a bit odd that there wasn't originally a Book of Shan-Wei. Yet, since the most likely subject matter for such a book is covered by the Book of Sondheim, it appears there's not even a suppressed Book of Shan-Wei.

Has Himself ever indicated that lack is because Shan-Wei vetoed having even a ghost-written book attributed to her, or was it because Langhorne and/or Chihiro kept the Alexandrian archangels from having books in Holy Writ to begin with?

It is my impression that Langhorne and company didn't tell Shan-Wei and the rest of the terraforming crew anything about the Holy Writ until after the colonists woke up with heavily altered memories. Besides the Book of Sondheim, I suspect that much of the Book of Hastings (not the astronomy) came from terraforming crew's planetary survey.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Re: Book of Shan-Wei
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:14 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Now, if I wrote a Book of Shan-Wei, the first sentence would be "I serve truth." The rest of the book would be a detailed description on how the scientific method works (I might throw in accurate astromomy as well).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Safehold