Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Safehold Map

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Safehold Map
Post by JLNorthGA   » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:28 pm

JLNorthGA
Midshipman

Looked at the Safehold map. The Gulf of Jahras “How Firm a Foundation” seems to be missing.
Re: Safehold Map
Post by Louis R   » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:41 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Which map? There are several versions floating around, but the full map here is very incomplete. The Gulf is there, but not labelled and not, apparently, connected to the ocean.

JLNorthGA wrote:Looked at the Safehold map. The Gulf of Jahras “How Firm a Foundation” seems to be missing.
Post by Robin_WH   » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Robin_WH
Ensign

Louis R wrote:Which map? There are several versions floating around, but the full map here is very incomplete. The Gulf is there, but not labelled and not, apparently, connected to the ocean.

Well those maps should be finally put together to make one detailed map. I read Safehold cycle several times and what I found confusing was a missing general world map with all places mentioned in the books as well as historical maps where the campaign's directions would be displayed. Something like this: https://www.bible-history.com/maps/Map- ... -Great.gif
Post by Louis R   » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:37 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

That map, as I understand it, already exists - more or less. And Himself isn't going to let us see it. For one thing, it's not really complete, since a lot of places aren't given definite locations until story development requires it. The other problem is too many spoilers.

So the best general map is this one: https://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/e ... old/338/1/. Which is now 4 books out of date, because he hasn't had the spare time to generate a more recent one that doesn't tell us more than he wants us to know.

Robin_WH wrote:
Louis R wrote:Which map? There are several versions floating around, but the full map here is very incomplete. The Gulf is there, but not labelled and not, apparently, connected to the ocean.

Well those maps should be finally put together to make one detailed map. I read Safehold cycle several times and what I found confusing was a missing general world map with all places mentioned in the books as well as historical maps where the campaign's directions would be displayed. Something like this: https://www.bible-history.com/maps/Map- ... -Great.gif
Post by Jeslis   » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:19 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hiyas,

I believe himself said that he 'had' created a map, but obviously safehold is a very old series.

(IIRC, he 'created' it before Empire from the Ashes/Dahak series, but it wasn't picked up, which is why we get a 'condensed' safehold in the '3rd part' of the Dahak series.)

Since its an old series, the map was created using VERY old software which isn't exactly great for looking at with current day technology.

I think the best 'official' maps we have are here: http://davidweber.net/downloads/index/recent/series:6

That being said, of course we would all like super detailed maps :)
Post by Dahak   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:04 pm

Dahak
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

JLNorthGA wrote:Looked at the Safehold map. The Gulf of Jahras “How Firm a Foundation” seems to be missing.

Yes, I know... basically a zombie thread. :D

All of the maps on my site and the close-ups posted here all derive from the same source: David's working maps done with an application called Fractal Mapper.

You are quite correct, the original map he gave me was from 2008 and did, indeed, lack the Gulf of Jahras, whose location is shown as land-locked. (IIRC, I made a comment to him at the time that the lake to the east of the eventual gulf would make dandy place for a set of canals.)

The second map, as of MTaT in 2012, added the Howard Passage and named details around what had been changed to a gulf.

As he has so often said, if a section of the geography is not featured in detail at some point, he is free to make 'adjustments' to fit the need of future books.

It's no real secret that David gave me a copy of the maps from which I built the large-format images used on the Infodump by writing a small, simple plug-in for Fractal Mapper. It turns out that there are practical limits to how many tiles I can break the source map into due to details not crossing tile boundaries properly.

The amusing part is that, like many such types of software, it supports layers - which the rat bastard turned most off before he gave me the copies (my latest copy is still the MTaT one from 2012).

For instance, it turns out that there is a semaphore layer which shows all the (then plotted) chains laid out across the landscape.

I don't think he was amused when I mentioned finding it and he instructed me to turn it off when I made the public maps. :D
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:23 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Dahak wrote:SNIP

For instance, it turns out that there is a semaphore layer which shows all the (then plotted) chains laid out across the landscape.

I don't think he was amused when I mentioned finding it and he instructed me to turn it off when I made the public maps. :D

now that I would like to see!
[the semaphore layer of course - not RFC not being amused :-)]
Post by CRuscelli   » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:21 pm

CRuscelli
Midshipman

So after searching for official and fan-made maps that were updated with all the details yet set in stone I went about collecting any and all official maps and am in the process of combining and cleaning the world map without adding anything. I'm using 3DPaint for simplicities sake but once the map is in a better condition I'll recreate it in a proper program and format no matter how massive it'll end up being. Any feedback is welcome!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Post by SenecaStoic   » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:48 pm

SenecaStoic
Midshipman

Found this nifty little widget online to convert equirectangular projection maps to a globe. I'm having fun with it as I read through the series again.

Safehold globe: https://www.maptoglobe.com/r1fa3xAHt
Post by Louis R   » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:06 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

You might want to take into account that the published maps, including the ones on Joe's site, don't extend the same distance north & south of the equator. My best guess is that neither extends to the pole. And they _may_ not wrap all the way around the equator, either: I tried matching features on the left and right edges, and they don't seem to correspond, nor, apparently, quite add up to distances quoted in the text.

SenecaStoic wrote:Found this nifty little widget online to convert equirectangular projection maps to a globe. I'm having fun with it as I read through the series again.

Safehold globe: https://www.maptoglobe.com/r1fa3xAHt

Return to Safehold