Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Tanks on Safehold

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Tanks on Safehold
Post by Castenea   » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:28 am

Castenea
Captain of the List

Michae wrote:I've been re-reading through Fiery Trials and I'm wondering given the amount of Automotive manufactories popping up in various nations,if it's possible to re-produce some of the better tanks of WW2? As I'd love to see the first Charisian Panzer Division in action. I chose WW2 tanks as I think anything else might be pushing the boundaries more than they'd like,and plenty of good Medium tanks in there to pick from,including my personal favorite medium,The German Panther tank..

Only problem with building any WWII tank on Safehold will be engine packaging. Without electricity power trains are limited to steam or some very interesting diesel systems. While diesels can work I would expect steam engines to be used to power the tanks, and steam engines tend to be very bulky for their power output. The bulky, smoky engines will put limits on uses of tanks as will the lack of electricity and radios. We could see some very interesting heavy tanks though Think British mark IV or German AV tanks of late WWI
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Michae wrote:I've been re-reading through Fiery Trials and I'm wondering given the amount of Automotive manufactories popping up in various nations,if it's possible to re-produce some of the better tanks of WW2? As I'd love to see the first Charisian Panzer Division in action. I chose WW2 tanks as I think anything else might be pushing the boundaries more than they'd like,and plenty of good Medium tanks in there to pick from,including my personal favorite medium,The German Panther tank..

Are you kidding? Panther? Medium? Her weight was almost 45 tons. She was considered "medium" only due to Germany's weird "gun classification", which stated that any tank with 75-mm gun must be "medium" (yeah, 75-ton Char 2C would also be "medium" here).

Overweight, ridiculously unreliable, borderline-blind, with brittle, inefficient armor and hopelessly overcomplicated, it was the disaster on tracks.

Those fairy tales about German wunderwaffles became really annoying, you know...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

[quote="Dilandu] SNIP Panther tank SNIP
Overweight, ridiculously unreliable, borderline-blind, with brittle, inefficient armor and hopelessly overcomplicated, it was the disaster on tracks.

Those fairy tales about German wunderwaffles became really annoying, you know...[/quote]

don't hold back Dilandu - tell us what you really think :-) :-)

Return to Safehold