Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Update on next Safehold book

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Update on next Safehold book
Post by dobriennm   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:16 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Sad News!

David Weber was on Zoom meeting today (Essence of Wonder).

Said he hasn't started next Safehold book. He's working on collaborative projects now.

So this is probably the Manticore Ascendant series, the Star Kingdom series, and sequel to Crown of Slave series ["which will be set immediately after Uncompromising Honor and follow Victor and Anton (and new recruits Damien and Indiana) as they go hunting for the core of the Alignment onion"]. And maybe a sequel to The Apocalypse Troll [collaborative project info from David Weber's Oct 19, 2019 posting]
Re: Update on next Safehold book
Post by Peter2   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:19 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

I wouldn't call it entirely sad. I do enjoy most (althoough not all) of his collaborations as well as his solo output. I'd be very happy to find out what happens next in Manticore's early days – after all, RFC does have to care for his health these days!
Post by Randomiser   » Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Except that George J Smith says Himself is working on a sequel to Into the Light. :(

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7233

No huge objection to that series, though relatively minor interest. I'd far rather have another Manticore Ascendant, if we can't have the next Safehold or Sword of the South.
Post by Keith_w   » Wed May 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Randomiser wrote:Except that George J Smith says Himself is working on a sequel to Into the Light. :(

http://forums.davidweber.net/memberlist ... ile&u=7233

No huge objection to that series, though relatively minor interest. I'd far rather have another Manticore Ascendant, if we can't have the next Safehold or Sword of the South.

I'd rather have Multiverse or Manitore Ascendant
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by ZVar   » Thu May 07, 2020 12:23 am

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

Personally I don't mind. Safehold and Honor can both be ended and all would be good. They are both at a good stopping point right now.

I'd rather see more Protocol and Multiverse books. And Sword of the South would be good too.

Heck at this point I'd rather see a new Prince Rodger book instead. Don't get me wrong, I love both Safehold and Honor. it's just I also like his other works too.
Post by Erls   » Thu May 07, 2020 1:39 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Safehold is most definitely not in a good place to stop.

At the very least, Safehold needs to progress to the point where the Hamilcar is no longer functional and/or no longer a danger to Charis. That is, Safehold has to reach the place where they can safely introduce and use electricity and space flight.

If the story of taking out the gbaba is never told, oh well.
Post by n7axw   » Fri May 08, 2020 7:35 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Erls wrote:Safehold is most definitely not in a good place to stop.

At the very least, Safehold needs to progress to the point where the Hamilcar is no longer functional and/or no longer a danger to Charis. That is, Safehold has to reach the place where they can safely introduce and use electricity and space flight.

I wanna hear the story of the gbaba. That's where the series should end... However many books it takes to get there, I don't much care.... and least two more and then the conclusion, I think. I do think RFC should curb his impulse to go on forever.

As for the Honorverse, that would naturally conclude with finding and dealing with the Alignment. If there is justice, Honor will be on the deck of her flagship when it happens.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by MrZero   » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:05 am

MrZero
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

A sequel to Troll could be interesting, especially since The Gordian Protocol has already been written, so it must be a setup and ambush book. While Weber clearly has his hands full, a new Safehold book would be splendid. There's still a lot left to do in the series, despite and because of the amount of time passed in-series.
(Don't throw me overboard if I want another Empire of Man: Prince Roger's March book too! It had all the chicanery I wanted to see in the Safehold series, which seems a bit too free of the crooked ideas sometimes. But hey, Weber has proved me wrong before.)
Post by Dutch46   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:08 am

Dutch46
Captain (Junior Grade)

Erls wrote:Safehold is most definitely not in a good place to stop.

I agree that the Safehold series is not at a place where it should end. I would like to see how the proscriptions get overturned and the planet is industrialized and brought up to the point where it is able to operate in space and at least credibly defend itself against the Gbaba. Should be an interesting read!
Post by justdave   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:41 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

dobriennm wrote:Sad News!

David Weber was on Zoom meeting today (Essence of Wonder).

Said he hasn't started next Safehold book. He's working on collaborative projects now.

So this is probably the Manticore Ascendant series, the Star Kingdom series, and sequel to Crown of Slave series ["which will be set immediately after Uncompromising Honor and follow Victor and Anton (and new recruits Damien and Indiana) as they go hunting for the core of the Alignment onion"]. And maybe a sequel to The Apocalypse Troll [collaborative project info from David Weber's Oct 19, 2019 posting]

In subsequent videos the MWW has said the Fury prequel s/b turned in by end of May, also a collab. He and Eric are in disagreement on title for next Slaves, which I take as a good sign. I personally would like to see the next Roger and next Wargod.

Return to Safehold