Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Update on next Safehold book

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Update on next Safehold book
Post by Alistair   » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Here is the latest update:

Okay. Since people have been asking, here's what's going on production wise.
(1) INTO THE LIGHT (with Chris Kennedy) — the sequel to OUT OF THE DARK — is coming out in January 2021.

(2) GOVERNOR (with Richard Fox) — the first in a prequel series set in the FURY universe, but three or four centuries earlier. It will follow the creation of the Terran Empire and the creation of the Cadre. It is scheduled for June of 2021.

(3) STILL UNTITLED (with Eric Flint) — we have a working title, but neither of us thrilled with it. The next in the Victor and Anton thread (with Damien Harahap now added to the mix) in the Honorverse — is currently scheduled for October 2021, I believe.

(4) FOOLS IN PERIL (with Jane Lindskold) — the next Stephanie Harrington novel. The title is still flexible. I am finishing up my edit on the manuscript this weekend (hopefully), but it's not scheduled yet.

(5) A CALL TO INSURRECTION (with Tim Zahn and Tom Pope) — Tom and I have delayed Tim quite a lot on this one, with health problems and some other issues. The manuscript is now back in Tim's hands; it's about 40% complete, and that's about all I can tell you about that one right this minute. Except to reiterate that the delay is not Tim's fault in any way.
(
6) The sequel to THE VALKYRIE PROTOCOL (with Jacob Holo) — Jacob has completed his first draft, and that's part of the deck clearing I need to get to Sometime Real Soon Now™.

(7) HONOR HARRINGTON ANTHOLOGY — this one has been hanging fire for YEARS, and I intend to get my story for it written and then get it into the pipeline ASAP.

(8) planning sessions: I need to get with Chris to plan the sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, with Richard to plan the sequel to GOVERNOR, with Jane to plan the next Stephanie novel, and with Joelle Presby to plan the sequel to THE ROAD TO HELL.

(9) NEXT SAFEHOLD BOOK — this is my next solo writing project, which I will begin the instant I have enough breathing space on the collaborations.

(10) NEXT NORFRESSA BOOK — the sequel to THE SWORD OF THE SOUTH, which will be the solo project following immediately after Safehold.

There! At least you can tell I really have been doing stuff during the flupocalypse!
Post by Erls   » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:31 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks for the update.

I understand that it is unreasonable of me to want my favorite author to prioritize my favorite stories of his, but I am only human after all. With that said, I wish RFC would be prioritizing adding content to Honorverse (Manticore Ascendant and Star Kingdom, and anthologies) and Safehold, over new universes. I understand why the reverse is so often true, with more recently introduced series getting priority (need to keep new fans engaged), just wish it wasn't so. Perhaps what I should say is that in my perfect world, authors with two or three established universes wouldn't introduce new ones until they had the basic manuscript for 2 or 3 books worth in rough form, allowing them to publish one a year with a couple of sequels without ignoring their established universes.

Wow, I'm rambling and will shut up. Only question I have is if there are any ETAs on Honorverse or Safehold works?
Post by oyohan   » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 pm

oyohan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Been almost a year since the last post. I know we have Dune coming out this week but still thinking of the next Safehold book.

A lot of DW's pipeline has cleared. We got Crown of Slaves 4 (ho-hum) and the Valkyrie sequel (enjoyed very much) and the Fury prequel (cant get past a third)...

Anybody know anything?
Post by Theemile   » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:52 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

oyohan wrote:Been almost a year since the last post. I know we have Dune coming out this week but still thinking of the next Safehold book.

A lot of DW's pipeline has cleared. We got Crown of Slaves 4 (ho-hum) and the Valkyrie sequel (enjoyed very much) and the Fury prequel (cant get past a third)...

Anybody know anything?

"A Call to Insurrection" is available as an EARC. So 1-3 & 5 are complete and in the publisher/reader's hands.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:15 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:
oyohan wrote:Been almost a year since the last post. I know we have Dune coming out this week but still thinking of the next Safehold book.

Anybody know anything?

"A Call to Insurrection" is available as an EARC. So 1-3 & 5 are complete and in the publisher/reader's hands.

And I have seen a book forthcoming list that had 4 scheduled for June 2022.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:06 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Any recent news? Any hope for 2022?
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:10 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:And I have seen a book forthcoming list that had 4 scheduled for June 2022.

Great. Could you post it for us, please?
Post by Hildum   » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:48 am

Hildum
Captain (Junior Grade)

At this point, I am assuming there will be no more books.
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:51 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Hildum wrote:At this point, I am assuming there will be no more books.

Don't be so pessimistic! David isn't dead, after all. And as long as there is no official announcement by him that he wont write in this or any other series anymore, there's hope. After all, remember the Multiverse - we had to wait for 10(!) years for "Road to Hell".
And David is imho old enough to retire soon (and has health issues, too), so please - give him some slack if he needs more time to produce new books.
Post by Erls   » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:22 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hildum wrote:At this point, I am assuming there will be no more books.

The newest Honorverse book E-Arc was just released a couple of months ago (A Call To Insurrection). He's still writing, and going through his list.

Based upon what I've read elsewhere, he is probably in the early stages of working on Safehold. Meaning the manuscript might be done in draft form this year, with a release in summer of 2023. WAG, I know. But that would be my prediction.

Return to Safehold