Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

The Inquisition and Holovids

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: The Inquisition and Holovids
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:37 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

mhicks wrote:My biggest question is how do you tell the system that this priest now has access to said files? At work our IT department has to give workers clearance and then supervisors additional clearance all the way up to the top. Who is the IT guy telling the computers "here is our new grand inquisitor and his 2nd officer"? Because if the purge that happened took out the IT guy, how does the system know who any one is and what clearance to give them?

maybe they have a formal 'inauguration' ceremony for new Grand Inquisitors [like the Grand Vicars] and when that takes place the IT systems take due note of whome is wearing the ceremonial robes specially 'provided' for the occasion...
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:39 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

mhicks wrote:My biggest question is how do you tell the system that this priest now has access to said files? At work our IT department has to give workers clearance and then supervisors additional clearance all the way up to the top. Who is the IT guy telling the computers "here is our new grand inquisitor and his 2nd officer"? Because if the purge that happened took out the IT guy, how does the system know who any one is and what clearance to give them?

And nobody EVER shares passwords, of course! :-)

It all depends on how secretive the Temple builders intended to be about these things when they set the system up. Could just be the Holo units are under lockdown, now, but operation only involves pressing the 'on' button and choosing which 'video' you want off the onscreen menu. Area off limits to all but specified personnel by order of the Grand Inquisitor. A more 'mystical' approach would be that new people as well as getting physical access to the right locations get taught the appropriate special 'prayers' or 'incantations' to activate the 'holy mysteries'.
Post by Michae   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:54 am

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It all depends on how secretive the Temple builders intended to be about these things when they set the system up. Could just be the Holo units are under lockdown, now, but operation only involves pressing the 'on' button and choosing which 'video' you want off the onscreen menu. Area off limits to all but specified personnel by order of the Grand Inquisitor. A more 'mystical' approach would be that new people as well as getting physical access to the right locations get taught the appropriate special 'prayers' or 'incantations' to activate the 'holy mysteries'.

Unless it's a pre-generated password of some kind which is saved for all users with the corrct access. I know when I log-in to my modem using Firefox it keeps offering to pre-generate a "secure Key" for me which would then be saved for all users,which I decline as I prefer my own passwords. But they could have gone in that direction.
Post by phillies   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:13 pm

phillies
Admiral

As another alternative, there is no password protection. Instead, there are sealed sections of the Temple, with guards and keys, but once you are physically inside that part of the building you have access to things.

Randomiser wrote:

Post by Erls   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Would the "Archangels' have created multiple holoclips of edited footage and placed each of them in a different "holy relic." Think of the Wylsynn family relic. There would then be a ceremony involving direct exposure to sunlight that lasted 20, 30 minutes that had to be done prior to use.

The question then would be how many such holovids are there, and how widely were they known? Beyond, of course, how many people knew about how to plug them in to play.
Post by Michae   » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:12 am

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

[quote="Erls"]Would the "Archangels' have created multiple holoclips of edited footage and placed each of them in a different "holy relic." Think of the Wylsynn family relic. There would then be a ceremony involving direct exposure to sunlight that lasted 20, 30 minutes that had to be done prior to use.

The question then would be how many such holovids are there, and how widely were they known? Beyond, of course, how many people knew about how to plug them in to play.[/quote

Assuming that playing a Holovid is as easy as playing a DVD,or plugging in a USB device I don't see any problem playing it. But having the technology to play it would be another story. The Temple might have it,assuming there's some kind of exception for the Temple not to get blasted into Oblivion by the Orbital system,but the rest of the populace would be a big No.
Post by Dutch46   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:24 am

Dutch46
Captain (Junior Grade)

isaac_newton wrote:

maybe they have a formal 'inauguration' ceremony for new Grand Inquisitors [like the Grand Vicars] and when that takes place the IT systems take due note of whome is wearing the ceremonial robes specially 'provided' for the occasion...

The entire topic of the Temple needs clarification. It seems to me that so far we have a snippet here and a snippet there about what the Temple actually contains and how it functions. It's an area that surely holds lots of secrets and surprises. The problem is getting someone that has an idea of what they are looking at into it.

Return to Safehold