Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

New Books

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: New Books
Post by wingfield   » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:45 am

wingfield
Lieutenant Commander

Louis R wrote:That's unfortunate.

I'm afraid you'll have to take your disagreement up with Himself, however. He's the author who has Kau-yung tell Nimue explicitly that Langhorne did _not_ oversee the terraforming, but stayed with the main colony fleet. '"Of course"--he smiled bitterly--"we didn't realize then why he was staying there"' he goes on to say.

DMcCunney wrote:Sorry, but I can't agree. It was the command ship and a major industrial node. Just where else would it be, and why? You tend to want HQ and major industrial center close to where the work is being done. I see no reason for it to be elsewhere.

Dennis

As to WHERE the main fleet was or wasn't, the following extracts from Pei Kau-yung’s reflections, OAR, after the confrontation between Shan-wei and Langhorne but before the kinetic strike on the Alexandria Enclave, provide the only answer that we have ever had:

"Second, the colony had been provided with not one, but two complete terraforming fleets. One had been detached and assigned to the preparation of Safehold, while the other remained in close company with the transports, hiding far from Kau-zhi, as a backup. If the Gbaba had detected the ships actually laboring upon Safehold, they would undoubtedly have been destroyed, but their destruction would not have led the Gbaba to the rest of the fleet, which would then have voyaged onward for another ten years, on a totally random vector, before once more searching for a new home.

She and her people, watched over by Kau-yung's flagship, TFNS Gulliver, had battled the planet into submission while most of the colony fleet had waited, motionless, holding station in the depths of interstellar space, light-years from the nearest star.
"
Post by Peter2   » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:44 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

SilverbladeTE wrote:Peter2
Ah I see :)

I was thinking of things like this which did come before steam
And.local mines used ponies
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea ... es_Railway

I also think the Ordinance works used such, because the ponies could move gunpowder in underground or protected paths, without any iron accoutrements, thus, no sparks and in restricted space and gunpowder isn't that heavy compared to stone or metals?
Guess they must have used bronze horseshoes etc?

I'm not absolutely certain, but I seem to remember my uncle, who was a miner and who I just about remember, mentioning that if it was necessary to suppress sparks, one way of doing it was to use thick felt overshoes.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 pm

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Peter2 wrote:

I'm not absolutely certain, but I seem to remember my uncle, who was a miner and who I just about remember, mentioning that if it was necessary to suppress sparks, one way of doing it was to use thick felt overshoes.

that sounds quite practical and plausible :)

I know munitions workers used lead soled shoes
Post by sonex   » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Dennis[/quote][/quote]
As to WHERE the main fleet was or wasn't, the following extracts from Pei Kau-yung’s reflections, OAR, after the confrontation between Shan-wei and Langhorne but before the kinetic strike on the Alexandria Enclave, provide the only answer that we have ever had:

"Second, the colony had been provided with not one, but two complete terraforming fleets. One had been detached and assigned to the preparation of Safehold, while the other remained in close company with the transports, hiding far from Kau-zhi, as a backup. If the Gbaba had detected the ships actually laboring upon Safehold, they would undoubtedly have been destroyed, but their destruction would not have led the Gbaba to the rest of the fleet, which would then have voyaged onward for another ten years, on a totally random vector, before once more searching for a new home.

She and her people, watched over by Kau-yung's flagship, TFNS Gulliver, had battled the planet into submission while most of the colony fleet had waited, motionless, holding station in the depths of interstellar space, light-years from the nearest star.
"[/quote]

I'm beginning to think I need to get a Kindle version of OAR so I can reread it. It has been about 30 years since I first read it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:10 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

sonex wrote:
I'm beginning to think I need to get a Kindle version of OAR so I can reread it. It has been about 30 years since I first read it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seems unlikely since the book was only published in 2007. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by sonex   » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:43 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:
sonex wrote:

Seems unlikely since the book was only published in 2007. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok. Not 30 years. So it's been 12 years. It just seems like 30 to me! :evil:

Any way, I bought the Kindle version last night, but also did some looking at my hardcopy.
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:23 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

update from RFC, what he is currently working on and what is next:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10280
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:27 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:update from RFC, what he is currently working on and what is next:

we need to clone him, so we can have more Safehold! ;)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:10 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:
Dauntless wrote:update from RFC, what he is currently working on and what is next:

Not just more Safehold - more everything :D :D :D :D
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:58 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
SilverbladeTE wrote:[

Not just more Safehold - more everything :D :D :D :D

YAY!!! CLONE HIM, CLONE HIM
MORE, MORE!! :-)

Return to Safehold